Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Photokit Capture Sharpening  (Read 4584 times)

dabreeze

Photokit Capture Sharpening
« on: January 18, 2006, 02:36:21 am »

'til now,  i have always interpolated (genuine fractals & nik sharpener pro) prior to any sharpening, processing. but since the Photokit's capture sharpening is so subtle, i'm wondering when would be the optimal time to do it? before or after interpolation?

on a related subject, anyone out there have any experience inkjet printing on canvas (giclee prints)?

a local gallery/giclee printer is giving me giclees at cost and featuring me in his main gallery. printer is an epson 10000 series first generation ultrachrome inkset wide format. prints will likely be 30x45 on epson high gloss premium 19 ml canvas. any thoughts on sharpening? processing in general? black points, contrast, saturation levels?

thanks . . .

photopat

• http://
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2006, 04:54:26 am »

There are different ways of doing this ,but this is how I would do it .

1.PK Sharpener->Capture sharpen
2.Do all general adjustments(levels ,curves colorbalance etc).
3.resize to print size.(200-400% with Bicubic Smoother)
4. PK Sharpener->Creative sharpening ->Supersharpen 1(to retrive "lost" details)
5. Creative sharpening-> Super grain 200(to make the image less "digital")
6. Do all local adjustments
7.Sharpen for final output with PK Sharpener.

This is more or less what I think  Jeff Schewe recomended as workflow for resizing images for printing when using PK Sharpener.

Patrick.

francois

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2006, 06:19:07 am »

An article written by Jeff Schewe for Digital PhotoPro Magazine described how to res-up photos.
Jeff mentionned that he could post a PFD after the next issue of that mag would be available. However I can't seem to find if this PDF has been posted yet.

From discussions I gather that the described technique was:

1. Up-res image
2. Use Digital High Rez Capture Sharpening
3. Use Creative Sharpen of Super Sharpen 1 and 2
3. Use Creative Super Grain 100 or 200
4. Use Output sharpening before printing

If somebody has seen the PDF posted on a website I'd appreciate to get the link...

I tried the above technique and results were excellent. I res-up 4MPix (from D2H)  files up to 1.0mx0.7m prints and although it's no 1Ds2 quality, it was much better than what we expected.
Francois

photopat

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2006, 07:32:47 am »

I see no benefits in uprezzing before capture sharpening ang global adjustments.
I've tried both ways and favor capture shapening before uprezzing since I'll have "smaller" files to work on intially (also agreed by Bruce Fracer that these things can be done before uprezzing).
But whatever works  

Surley you meant super sharpener 1 or2 not both.
Supersharpener 2 for 6mp files and smaller and Supersharpener 1 for Ds1 files etc..

francois

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2006, 07:58:59 am »

I see no benefits in uprezzing before capture sharpening ang global adjustments.
I've tried both ways and favor capture shapening before uprezzing since I'll have "smaller" files to work on intially (also agreed by Bruce Fracer that these things can be done before uprezzing).
But whatever works  

Surley you meant super sharpener 1 or2 not both.
Supersharpener 2 for 6mp files and smaller and Supersharpener 1 for Ds1 files etc..
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Yes, it was Super Sharpener 1 or 2. Thanks for you for correcting my post.

I know that Bruce has agreed about doing capture sharpening before resing-up the file. FWIW, I posted about that in the PKS forum ([a href=\"http://forums.pixelgenius.com/showthread.php?t=125]Direct Link[/url]). I've done dozen of tests and sometimes doing capture sharpening after enlarging my photos is better - not always, but sometimes. I won't do any further testing as I wasted considerable amount of inks, paper and time and in the end, differences are really subtle.

In the PKS forum, a user (Christopher_Campbell) posted the following (Direct Link):

Process in ACR to highest available resolution (4096x6144), capture sharpen, resize (no resampling!), creative sharpen: edge sharpen, output sharpen 180
« Last Edit: January 18, 2006, 08:11:15 am by francois »
Francois

photopat

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2006, 08:23:54 am »

I've done dozen of tests and sometimes doing capture sharpening after enlarging my photos is better - not always, but sometimes. I won't do any further testing as I wasted considerable amount of inks, paper and time and in the end, differences are really subtle.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=56203\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That's what I ment with ..........
But whatever works   

Patrick.

francois

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2006, 08:25:56 am »

That's what I ment with ..........
Patrick.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=56205\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That's also what I understood from your post.  
Francois

francois

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2006, 08:29:02 am »

'til now,  i have always interpolated (genuine fractals & nik sharpener pro) prior to any sharpening, processing. but since the Photokit's capture sharpening is so subtle, i'm wondering when would be the optimal time to do it? before or after interpolation?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=56188\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I guess you get the idea.. Do it before or after, differences are subtle.
on a related subject, anyone out there have any experience inkjet printing on canvas (giclee prints)?

a local gallery/giclee printer is giving me giclees at cost and featuring me in his main gallery. printer is an epson 10000 series first generation ultrachrome inkset wide format. prints will likely be 30x45 on epson high gloss premium 19 ml canvas. any thoughts on sharpening? processing in general? black points, contrast, saturation levels?

thanks . . .
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=56188\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I've very little experience with canvas printing so other readers are welcome to share.
Francois
Pages: [1]   Go Up