Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Blue-Winged Olives, March Browns and Rising Rainbows  (Read 4501 times)

Arlen

Blue-Winged Olives, March Browns and Rising Rainbows
« on: March 09, 2015, 06:35:41 pm »

While the eastern U.S. is enduring snow storms and freezing temperatures, here in the Pacific Northwest we are having one of the warmest winters in memory. Signs of an early spring are everywhere. For fly fishers, who worship at the alter of aquatic insect hatches, especially mayflies, winter usually only yields a few Blue-Winged Olives popping up onto the water's surface.

Freshly hatched Blue-Winged Olive mayfly dun (body length = 8mm) resting on surface

Mayflies are not only among the oldest of the insects, but also, in my humble opinion, some of the most gracefully elegant. Now, with our early spring, we have western March Brown mayflies already getting into the act. Like all mayflies, March Browns don't really "hatch" (i.e., from an egg) as the adults that fly fishers (and students of nature) observe emerging onto the surface of the water. Rather, they live under water as juveniles ("nymphs") for typically a year, hiding and foraging among the rocks of the river bottom.

March Brown nymph (12mm) in its watery home

When they are ready to emerge from the water as adults, the nymphs swim to the water's surface in preparation for making the remarkable transition from juvenile life in the water to air-breathing adults.

March Brown nymph at water surface, thorax beginning to split

As the thorax splits wider, the winged adult folded up inside the nymphal exoskeleton begins to pull itself out. For most mayflies, this doesn't take very long, from seconds to a minute.

March Brown adult "hatching" at the water surface

Finally, the adult March Brown sits on the water surface, pumping up its wings and resting before flying off to the relative safety of the shoreline vegetation.

Freshly emerged March Brown dun adult (9-12mm) on water surface

How long the adult mayfly sits on the water is a critical issue. When it's sunny and warm, they are able to fly off quickly. If it's cold and damp--the typical spring day in the Northwest--it takes them longer. Hungry mouths below await those who tarry too long.

Last Friday was one of the unseasonal sunny warm days here, but March Browns were hatching on my home water, the McKenzie River. Using our best pointy-wired imitations of the naturals, a buddy and I let them drift through a promising riffle where we had previously encountered the river's prize denizens, rainbow trout. We were not disappointed.

Rainbow trout (locally dubbed "McKenzie Redside", for obvious reasons) rising to imitation March Brown

On one end of the line was my friend Steve, hanging on as the line left his reel at warp speed.

Bent rod

At the other end of the line was a prime example of why we love it here.

Streaking McKenzie Redside

It was touch and go for a while, but in the end it was Steve who prevailed--this time.

In the net

Relaxing on this section of the river is especially rewarding for my friends and me, because for the last few years we have spent a lot of time here enhancing the environment for wild fish, and studying the results. The population of wild trout has grown several fold, and large beautiful fish like this one are now common.

So if you are stuck somewhere that is still in the grip of winter, my condolences. I hope this little story has provided an escape for at least a few moments, and that soon enough, you will make it to your own piece of nirvana.

* No animals were harmed during the photography of this story. All were released to go on their way.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 12:22:23 am by Arlen »

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
Re: Blue-Winged Olives, March Browns and Rising Rainbows
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2015, 08:07:02 pm »

What an amazingly beautiful series!
The Mayfly in the first image is breathtaking. Thanks for sharing these and the information.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Bob_B

• It's all about light
    • Robert Belas Photography
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2015, 08:11:55 pm »

Absolutely gorgeous set of photos. +1 for the first shot of the mayfly!

_However_, as a fly fisher myself, you made me very jealous and envious of your weather. I hear reports of some stoneflies in my area, but there's still snow everywhere. I am hoping to get down to the local trout stream in a week, possibly two, if the snow melts and stays away. Tight lines.
Robert Belas Photography
www.belasphoto.com

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2015, 12:06:42 am »

As for weather, around Boston swans are occupying parking lots because they can't find any open water. It is about time for Redwing Blackbirds to be returning to our local ponds, but there is still at least three or four feet of snow on top of an unknown number of inches of ice on those ponds.

At least we have finally had a few days a little above freezing, so the spring melt has begun ... very slowly.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Tony Jay

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2015, 05:08:04 am »

I can only add my applause to the round.

Tony Jay

David Anderson

• http://www.twigwater.com
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2015, 05:33:46 am »

Finally, some fly fishing relegated content on LuLu.  8)

Though I'm not a fan of heavily post produced images, I think this is a great set of pictures - thanks..

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2015, 09:49:32 am »

thanks for the write up. #1 is indeed very nice.

NancyP

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2015, 10:01:30 am »

Gosh. Wish I were there! A very nice set, and good biology too.

Arlen

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2015, 06:22:04 pm »

Thanks, Nancy. Since I am a biologist--retired, but keeping my hand in it--let's hope that I got it somewhere close to right.  :)

Thanks to the rest of you too for your encouraging comments. It's nice to know that there are others here who appreciate the corner of the natural world associated with fly fishing.

Eric and Bob, I hope the weather makes a turn for the better for you on the east side. We already have redwing blackbirds (my wife's favorite) singing in the fields around us, with lots of flowers blooming ahead of schedule. We will pay for it though if we get a sharp cold snap below freezing, which is still a possibility. And a mild winter with little precipitation means a dry summer with danger of forest fires in our area.

David, I see that some of your photography credits include images of fly fishing "down under". Australia and New Zealand are some of my very favorite places. I used to make business trips to Australia a couple of times a year, and once spent a few days fly fishing Tasmania. We plan to come down for an extended stay sometime later this year; probably spending a lot of time in far western Australia, where we have never been. In my view, you and Tony hail from one of the most fascinating continents.
Pages: [1]   Go Up