Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Magiclee Torino 20.5 mil glossy canvas  (Read 653 times)

Mike Sellers

• Mike Sellers Photography
Magiclee Torino 20.5 mil glossy canvas
« on: March 09, 2015, 10:04:46 am »

Anyone have any experience with this canvas?
Mike

Landscapes

Re: Magiclee Torino 20.5 mil glossy canvas
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2015, 11:14:59 am »

No idea about this specific canvas, but in my experience, any of these satin/glossy varieties still need to be coated, so there is no point in spending extra over the matte version, and they curl like crazy at the edges in the printer causing head strikes which is quite dangerous.

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
Re: Magiclee Torino 20.5 mil glossy canvas
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2015, 01:23:48 pm »

I agree with Landscape's edge curling comment, all the glossy canvases I tried have that annoying issue.  The cure I found was to run as much of the roll as possible with back to back prints.  The curling mainly occurs in the part of the canvas dangling in the air between the roll and the heads, it's best to minimize the time the canvas spends off the roll prior to printing.  Also, that canvas comes on 2" cores.  For the weight and thickness with a stiff glossy coating, you would probably have longitudinal curling issues near the end of the roll.  And yes you should coat them or the slightest mist of household cleanser will shotgun 100+ tiny white holes in the image.

However, it must be said that Crystalline and the Epson glossy canvases and the discontinued Diamond canvas all have wider color gamuts and better blacks than matte canvas, even when the matte canvas is profiled with glossy coating.  Glossy canvases have much better sales appeal when seen next to glossy coated matte canvas, and fabulously better sales appeal when seen next to matte coated matte canvas.  Matte coated canvas has a certain elegant subtlety, but on the showroom floor subtlety gets buried next to wahooism.  Everybody wants the shiniest car.

Edit: the ad I looked at stated the canvas is not water resistant and should not be coated.  If that is 100% true, then don't use it.  However, all glossy canvases lack water resistance to some extent, the trick to coating them is to first put down a very thin protective coat that dries within seconds of landing, but does not land dry.  Takes practice and a good hvlp system.  Subsequent coats can be of normal density.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 01:53:34 pm by bill t. »
Pages: [1]   Go Up