Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Sommelier or snob"  (Read 43189 times)

hjulenissen

Re: "Sommelier or snob"
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2015, 03:41:41 am »

As you say, the latter can be quite useful and valid, but IT IS NOT WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT. Really.
I started a thread, I made some comments, and you said that I was wrong. The fact is that you don't get to decide what I am talking about. You reply to a post of mine claiming that I am wrong. Then explain why in the relevant context instead of swaying into irrelevant topics. If you want to discuss something different, then perhaps this not the thread to do so?
yes, I am yelling because you're not listening
Perhaphs you ought to read the initial post once more?

I do believe that the analogy has only limited value here, as reliable scientific (or science-inspired) tests for wine are reasonable to design, while similar tests for cameras are difficult and will typically only test one of several relevant aspects.
I made a claim that is perfectly good. You disagreed, but instead of adressing my claims, you are making up a strawman that seems to talk about physically measuing quantities. I never did.

-h
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 03:50:39 am by hjulenissen »

tsjanik

« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2015, 08:38:14 am »

It is possible to devise tests that evaluate a camera and wine at the same time   ;D

Kevin Gallagher

« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2015, 12:36:35 pm »

I see we have many wine aficionados here and I'm wondering if any of you fine folks are devotees of the cocktail? I've recently discovered a variation on the classic Manhattan in which a large batch (generally around 5 gallons) is prepared and them left in an appropriatly sized cask to be "barrel aged".

My understanding is that the process takes between 4 to 6 weeks at which time the resultant product is then put into glass bottles for service to the customer. The result is a very smooth drink (dangerously so) that is of a different character than the standard version. This has also been done with the Negroni and others. I've been able to sample such beverages at a local restaurant and must admit to liking them very much!

I'm now considering the purchase of a much smaller cask (2 liters or so) to try this out for myself, research suggests that the process will go much quicker due to the cask being smaller, I'll keep you guys posted.  :)

Kevin in CT
Kevin In CT
All Animals Are Equal But Some Are More Equal
 George Orwell

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2015, 01:12:19 pm »

...I'll keep you guys posted.  :)

Don't... invite me instead  ;D

Kevin Gallagher

« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2015, 10:03:34 pm »

Consider it done!!  ;)
Kevin In CT
 George Orwell

hjulenissen

« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2015, 01:06:13 am »

I'm now considering the purchase of a much smaller cask (2 liters or so) to try this out for myself, research suggests that the process will go much quicker due to the cask being smaller, I'll keep you guys posted.  :)
I visited a fairly well-known Scottish Whisky producer and had a chance to chat with the guy responsible for the aging. He thought that the aging process (manner and duration) was among the most important (and expensive) parts of the trade. 2% loss of liquid per year, if I remember correctly (added to the capital expense and storage costs).

Needless to say, my suggestions to speed up the process (add fine oak chips instead of using wooden barrels, some gentle heating to increase evaporation etc) were not taken all to seriously.

Where I live, some of the fine local brewery products are shipped in oak barrels on a boat, crossing the equator line twice. "The constant movement, high humidity and fluctuating temperature cause the spirit to extract more flavour and contributes to accelerated maturation." (wikipedia)

-h
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 01:13:53 am by hjulenissen »

Kevin Gallagher

« Reply #46 on: March 18, 2015, 12:13:46 pm »

Funny you should mention that. There is a method to simulate several days of barrel aging overnight. It's mentioned in the video below. I've also tried the Cadillac Foam, it does go very well on a dry Margherita. In my retirement I was hoping to land a little job as a bartender but sadly the old bones won't tolerate the long periods of standing that the job would require :(

Here's The Link To The Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PB0yoqylKJc&spfreload=10

Kevin In CT
 George Orwell

Philmar

• Office drone by day - Photoenthusiast on weekends
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/phil_marion/albums
« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2015, 03:47:47 pm »

Reliable scientific (objective) tests for cameras and lenses are plentiful--resolving power, distortion, flare, dynamic range, etc. But, AFAIK, there are no such tests for wine (and I hope there never will be!).

Once upon a time one had to measure diethylene glycol levels in Austrian wine during the scandal of 1985.

Kevin Gallagher

« Reply #48 on: March 27, 2015, 05:01:52 pm »

Well ladies and gentlemen the cask has arrived. Now it's on to rising it out and soaking so it doesn't leak. After all the future contents are for imbibing and should not be wasted!
Kevin In CT
 George Orwell
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up