Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Monitor Calibration problems  (Read 5711 times)

Jason Cory

Monitor Calibration problems
« on: January 17, 2006, 05:45:35 pm »

OK, I'm new to real monitor calibration as those of you know that read my last calibration post. I was using Adobe Gamma previously.

Well, my previous calibration issues are fixed, it seems. The mouse pointer is no longer pink and my and other's images look better after recalibrating using a setting of gamma 2.2 - native (rather than gamma 2.2 - 6500K) as someone here suggested.

But now I have a new problem. It seems that every other time I log on to my windows account, the display looks much brighter than normal, even though a window pops up at startup saying my ICC profile was successfully loaded. Interestingly, switching to my wife's account, then logging  out and reentering my own seems to fix the problem. The ICC profile loads again and the screen dims slightly and gains contrast.

I thought buying monitor calibration software was going to make my life easier, but so far it has only complicated things. Images look better once the profile loads correctly, but it's far from consistent. And consistency is why we profile, right???

Is is possible Adobe Gamma is loading at times, throwing off my profile? I've used Pantone Profile Chooser to make sure the correct profile is loaded. I'm not sure how to completely disable Adobe Gamma if that is possible.

I'd really appreciate any help you can give. I really don't want to spend hours editing images that will have to be redone later when I realize that my "calibrated" monitor was never really calibrated at all.  Any thoughts?

bobrobert

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2006, 05:09:22 am »

OK, I'm new to real monitor calibration as those of you know that read my last calibration post. I was using Adobe Gamma previously.

Well, my previous calibration issues are fixed, it seems. The mouse pointer is no longer pink and my and other's images look better after recalibrating using a setting of gamma 2.2 - native (rather than gamma 2.2 - 6500K) as someone here suggested.

But now I have a new problem. It seems that every other time I log on to my windows account, the display looks much brighter than normal, even though a window pops up at startup saying my ICC profile was successfully loaded. Interestingly, switching to my wife's account, then logging  out and reentering my own seems to fix the problem. The ICC profile loads again and the screen dims slightly and gains contrast.

I thought buying monitor calibration software was going to make my life easier, but so far it has only complicated things. Images look better once the profile loads correctly, but it's far from consistent. And consistency is why we profile, right???

Is is possible Adobe Gamma is loading at times, throwing off my profile? I've used Pantone Profile Chooser to make sure the correct profile is loaded. I'm not sure how to completely disable Adobe Gamma if that is possible.

I'd really appreciate any help you can give. I really don't want to spend hours editing images that will have to be redone later when I realize that my "calibrated" monitor was never really calibrated at all.  Any thoughts?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=56157\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You can - and should - disable Adobe Gamma from the start up It will automatically load when you start windows As to the 2.2 gamma and 6500 k that is good advice What did you change it to?

DarkPenguin

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2006, 10:37:04 am »

I had some issues with an ATI card once where my profile seemed to keep getting "lost'.

I think I updated the driver and all was well.  No idea if it was a driver issue or what.

Adobe Gamma will do the same thing.  In fact I just updated some adobe software so that scourge is probably back on the system.

Jason Cory

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2006, 01:23:07 pm »

To answer BobRobert's question, I calibrated initially using a gamma setting of 2.2 and a white balance setting of 6500K. The result was a strong pink cast to everything. After much fiddling, someone suggested to use a gamma setting of 2.2 and a white balance setting of "native," which seemed to clear things up.

I'm feeling a bit dense as I should be able to figure this out, but can you explain exactly how to disable Adobe Gamma? Thanks a lot.

DarkPenguin

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2006, 01:36:56 pm »

run msconfig.exe

Look under services or startup for it.  Make sure the box next to it isn't checked.

When you reboot a dialog will pop up saying you changed some startup settings.  Click the box that indicates it shouldn't bother you.

bobrobert

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2006, 04:39:22 am »

Quote from: Jason Cory,Jan 18 2006, 06:23 PM
To answer BobRobert's question, I calibrated initially using a gamma setting of 2.2 and a white balance setting of 6500K. The result was a strong pink cast to everything. After much fiddling, someone suggested to use a gamma setting of 2.2 and a white balance setting of "native," which seemed to clear things up.

Could you explain what native means  Different settings give different colours or casts Is your monitor now looking a bit bluer? It is important that you don't image edit a "cast" into an image

Jason Cory

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2006, 03:16:18 pm »

Could you explain what native means  Different settings give different colours or casts Is your monitor now looking a bit bluer? It is important that you don't image edit a "cast" into an image
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=56283\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

'Native' I think means that the display will use the white balance specified by the display as it's native WB. This is the way LCDs are calibrated, I believe, but usually CRTs are set at 6500K. Interestingly, my monitor's native setting is 6500K. Calibrating the display with a setting of 6500K made everything PINK. Calibrating with 'Native' makes everything look great. I definately don't want to edit in a color cast, but I can't believe that the pink version is the accurate one. And since the Native setting is also 6500K I assume it's some kind of bug with my monitor (or in the software when using my monitor) as someone also suggested to me.

I ran msconfig.exe and looked under Startup and Services. The only Adobe program listed was labeled, "stopped." I'm still having the problem, but it only happens when I log off my user account, the computer enters Sleep mode, then I reenter my user account. Restarting the computer or logging out and back into my account fixes the problem. Strange that only my user account is affected. Other accounts on this computer load the ICC profile correctly every time.

bobrobert

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2006, 04:20:46 am »

'Native' I think means that the display will use the white balance specified by the display as it's native WB. This is the way LCDs are calibrated, I believe, but usually CRTs are set at 6500K. Interestingly, my monitor's native setting is 6500K. Calibrating the display with a setting of 6500K made everything PINK. Calibrating with 'Native' makes everything look great. I definately don't want to edit in a color cast, but I can't believe that the pink version is the accurate one. And since the Native setting is also 6500K I assume it's some kind of bug with my monitor (or in the software when using my monitor) as someone also suggested to me.

I ran msconfig.exe and looked under Startup and Services. The only Adobe program listed was labeled, "stopped." I'm still having the problem, but it only happens when I log off my user account, the computer enters Sleep mode, then I reenter my user account. Restarting the computer or logging out and back into my account fixes the problem. Strange that only my user account is affected. Other accounts on this computer load the ICC profile correctly every time.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=56333\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Assuming windows xp, click on your taskbar > properties > start menu > customise>

remove > programs > scroll down to start up and if the Adobe Gamma is there click remove
Pages: [1]   Go Up