Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lumariver HDR  (Read 10481 times)

torger

Re: Lumariver HDR
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2015, 07:40:37 am »

We have watermarks because we have no time limit on the trial and it was the easiest thing to do. Good feedback anyway, perhaps we should change the approach and make a time limit instead.

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2015, 07:52:20 am »

We have watermarks because we have no time limit on the trial and it was the easiest thing to do. Good feedback anyway, perhaps we should change the approach and make a time limit instead.

I may buy it anyway as I like the approach, but I think a time limited trial would be better. I still have to go through the manual which is very comprehensive, but also a bit nerdy written although I do like that. I personally believe that many will be lost during that manual. When I have gone through it properly I would like to give feedback. The very fact that there is such a manual written is amazing because quite often even great software sometimes comes with very skimpy manuals or almost none. So kudos for writing this up. My feeling is that there should be an easier to digest version, but let me come back on that later.

torger

« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2015, 10:00:25 am »

Yes, the manual is nerdy and sort of deliberately so. There are zillions of HDR software out there and we don't intend to rule the world with this one, Lightroom's built-in tonemapper is so good for the casual user that it has killed most of the casual user HDR market anyway.

Instead this is for the "nerdy" user like myself which wants to be in control and see what's happening (and like tonemapping to work the way we like). Our original plan was to have this nerdy reference manual, but add some lighter videos to show example workflows. We don't have any GUI screenshots in the manual as the manual was written at the time when the GUI was not finished. So we know about some of the issues. We're a small company though and we got choked with other work so we've unfortunately not been able to progress on that, hopefully we will soon. Meanwhile we put the time we have into actual software development, releasing a maintenance release soon with some updated raw support. So although we certainly appreciate feedback we may not be possible to react to it as quick as we'd like.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 10:03:03 am by torger »

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2015, 03:53:30 pm »

Hi,

Regarding time limited trial vs. water marks, I actually prefer watermarks. For me it takes very long to evaluate any software. This was the case for me with Capture One, for instance. I never really liked it, but I finally bought it. I still don't like it

This stuff with time limited licenses just doesn't work for me. Generally I seldom find software I really like, so I run some tests and I will not buy. But, time to time there is a new image  I want to test.

Sometimes I buy a license, just to support a product I find interesting or worthwhile.

Best regards
Erik

I may buy it anyway as I like the approach, but I think a time limited trial would be better. I still have to go through the manual which is very comprehensive, but also a bit nerdy written although I do like that. I personally believe that many will be lost during that manual. When I have gone through it properly I would like to give feedback. The very fact that there is such a manual written is amazing because quite often even great software sometimes comes with very skimpy manuals or almost none. So kudos for writing this up. My feeling is that there should be an easier to digest version, but let me come back on that later.
Erik Kaffehr

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2015, 06:14:20 pm »

Hi,

Regarding time limited trial vs. water marks, I actually prefer watermarks. For me it takes very long to evaluate any software. This was the case for me with Capture One, for instance. I never really liked it, but I finally bought it. I still don't like it

This stuff with time limited licenses just doesn't work for me. Generally I seldom find software I really like, so I run some tests and I will not buy. But, time to time there is a new image  I want to test.

Sometimes I buy a license, just to support a product I find interesting or worthwhile.

Best regards
Erik

My view is tainted since I hate watermarks :) I think a time limited trial will expedite most evaluations to a yes or no. Regarding Capture One I have had a license since C1 v.3, but After C1 v.3 I changed and I never wanted to commit to the C1 software. C1 v.4 was completely incompatible with v3 and I lost all my edits. In the back mirror now, maybe not a big deal. But it was something I could not accept. Any company that hangs me up and dry with no option will not get my attention for their products. The last license I upgraded to was v7 and that's it. Adobe has never let me down (so far).

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2015, 06:18:43 pm »

Yes, the manual is nerdy and sort of deliberately so. There are zillions of HDR software out there and we don't intend to rule the world with this one, Lightroom's built-in tonemapper is so good for the casual user that it has killed most of the casual user HDR market anyway.

Instead this is for the "nerdy" user like myself which wants to be in control and see what's happening (and like tonemapping to work the way we like). Our original plan was to have this nerdy reference manual, but add some lighter videos to show example workflows. We don't have any GUI screenshots in the manual as the manual was written at the time when the GUI was not finished. So we know about some of the issues. We're a small company though and we got choked with other work so we've unfortunately not been able to progress on that, hopefully we will soon. Meanwhile we put the time we have into actual software development, releasing a maintenance release soon with some updated raw support. So although we certainly appreciate feedback we may not be possible to react to it as quick as we'd like.

I understand you, but Lightroom does (as you know) not yet solve the HDR merging problem. Maybe it will in Lr6 and maybe they will choose a method like yours. If that's the case I would be happy, but I doubt it. I need an HDR solution to teach on my workshops as we shot a lot in challenging situations and I'd like to teach a method that does not require a PHD in rocket launchers to use :) I have the Photoshop blending method I mentioned in a thread recently and now yours, so this looks good. I plan to come back at some time with more about this.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up