Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Reading for Pentax 645z?  (Read 2302 times)

the_ether

Reading for Pentax 645z?
« on: March 06, 2015, 04:17:49 pm »

I just bought myself the 645z. Can anyone recommend any reading for me on how to get the best out of it? I couldn't find a 645z book on Amazon. perhaps there is a blog that someone could recommend?

Thanx in advance.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
Re: Reading for Pentax 645z?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2015, 04:25:20 pm »

I would start with the reviews on this site.

Nick Devlin. And I believe Michael also did a detailed review.

Congratulations on the new camera.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

the_ether

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2015, 05:04:17 pm »

I would start with the reviews on this site.

Nick Devlin. And I believe Michael also did a detailed review.

Congratulations on the new camera.

Paul

Thanks. It's Michael's fault I bought this thing! :-)

But yes, I must re-read the reviews now that I have the actual camera to refer to. (I should be safe from buying a second one.)

Scotty-S

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2015, 07:44:18 pm »

I would suggest visiting pentaxforums.com and read Adam, the site admin's review of the Z.  It is very thorough and will show you a lot.

I would suggest that you learn to be comfortable with the following.

1. Use if live view and 100% magnification for focus check.
2. Use of live view histogram for ETTR.
3. Use of mirror lock up in normal and live view.
4. Use of count down shutter timer.
5. Use of shooting modes such as single shot, bracket, remote etc and how they impact both tripod and handheld shooting, such as OS on the new lenses if you have them.
6. Learn with your lenses, especially the longer ones, what shutter speeds you find to be dangerous and will ruin your image sharpness.
7. Test the ISO and find a max level that you are comfortable with.
8. Set your lens AF corrections.
9. Setup a camera profile in Lightroom, or purchase the huelight profiles.
10. Set up 2 custom user modes on the dial, one for tripod and one for handheld.  I have them set to remote and mirror lockup, ISO100 etc for tripod.  The other profile for handheld, no mirror lock, single shot, OS on etc.

This is just some of what you should know and it's where I would suggest you start.

Cheers, Scott

ndevlin

• Follow me on Twitter
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2015, 08:06:12 pm »

Hey, welcome to your Pentax years!

My suggestion: don't read, shoot! Seriously.  Set Auto ISO to cap out at 6400, put the camera in "TAV" mode - which is shutter and aperture priority - set is to 1/160th or 1/250 at f6.3 and go for a walk.

Shoot anything and everything.

Shoot ONLY DNGs.  Turn OFF anything auto in the menus - the auto lens correction, etc. 

Assuming you shoot with a tripod that has an Arca style head, buy a pair of the RRS plates.

The Huelight profiles are good. The Adobe Std v.1 is garbage. I expect they will make v2 public in LR6 shortly.  The embedded profile is not bad.

If you are not a Pentaxian, play with the menus with the instructions in-hand.  You'll figure it plenty quick.

What else do you want to know?

- N. 

Nick Devlin   @onelittlecamera        ww

the_ether

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2015, 09:32:17 pm »

Hey, welcome to your Pentax years!

...set is to 1/160th or 1/250 at f6.3 and go for a walk

My suggestion: don't read, shoot!

Thanx for the tips.

I was just wanting to ride on the back of those wiser and more experienced people like you, rather than me having to spend weeks (if ever) learning what you've discovered. So already, your suggestion of turning off lens correction is interesting. I assume that's because you think that Adobe does a better job (?).

I bought a 2nd hand lens (FA 45-85mm) so I assume that I will need to make an adjustment to its focusing. Never had to do that before. I'm sure that I could work it out but any tips might be useful.

I noted from elsewhere on this forum your recommendation about Huelight. Thanx.

TAV mode is nice (I also like how P mode can be used as a starting point and varied so easily). However, for ETTR, I'd need to be manual anyway. Though I guess it depends on the shooting style / subject matter. This P-line thing I read in the manual sounds interesting though in reality I'd probably never use it.

Not used a Pentax before but have spent this evening trawling through the manual. It's beginning to come together. Haven't found focus lock yet.

Just been playing with the Flucard. My initial impression is that the software needs more work and that it's a bit of a gimmick. The one (only?) useful feature is that I can use the touch screen of my phone to choose the focus point which will be handy for focus stacking. No histogram and not even an exposure meter for shooting manual.

As for your suggestion of going for a walk, well, living where I do in London (or anywhere in London for that matter), I don't want to linger whilst I fumble the controls. A kid got stabbed dead for his bicycle (apparently) just a short walk from here earlier this week! I am planning some night time shots around here but want to get slicker in the execution first. What looks like an alien bazooka (probably on a tripod) will no doubt attract attention.

BTW, do you have a view of the dynamic range of this compared to the dynamic range of prints? I'm not into the artificial HDR look, and was wondering whether a single shot from the 645z would capture the same dynamic range as a print would be capable of presenting. Perhaps that's a subject for another thread.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 02:40:10 pm by the_ether »

the_ether

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2015, 09:36:01 pm »

I would suggest visiting pentaxforums.com and read Adam, the site admin's review of the Z.  It is very thorough and will show you a lot.

I would suggest that you learn to be comfortable with the following.

Cheers, Scott

Thanks Scott. Yep, custom modes, mirror lock-up, Af adjustment... are some of the issues I intended to explore.

Thanks for the heads up on Adam at Pentax forums. Will check him out.
Pages: [1]   Go Up