Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Portugal  (Read 4762 times)

Kenneth Sky

• http://
Portugal
« on: January 16, 2006, 08:02:36 am »

I'm going to Portugal from March 19th to April 7th. The first 12 days will be driving around the Algarve and then I'll see the middle of the county and end up in Lisbon for 3 days. Any suggestions for photo ops?

prion

Portugal
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2006, 04:00:39 pm »

I stopped in Lisboa for a weekend on my way to the Azores back in September.  I would suggest you go to Sintra and also photograph Lisboa's sunset/sunrise from one of the several vista points or "miradores".  I would suggest Castelo de Sao Jorge in the morning, miradouro de Sao Pedro in the afternoon.

I have a photo album from my visit here:

http://www.reneeandjulio.com/gallery/Portugal2005

Have a nice trip.

Kenneth Sky

Portugal
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2006, 07:58:20 pm »

Thanks that'll fill up my time in Libon. Any ideas for the Algarve. I know it's almond blossom time and many of the birds return then. To cold for swimming so I wont spend much time at the beach except to photograph it.

mnogueira

• www.pbase.com/mnogueira
Portugal
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2006, 07:15:18 am »

I Keneth, I´m from Portugal but I live in the North, which you are not going to visit.

You have to possible ways to get to the Algarve from Lisbon: follow the highway and you'll get there in less than two hours drive or follow the highway to Setubal, cross the river by ferry to Troia, follow the coast to Sines, Porto Covo, Ilha do Pessegueiro, Vila Nova de Mil Fontes, etc up to Sagres which is already Algarve and then go East through the coast and get to know all of the coast of Algarve.

I obviously would recomend you to follow the long route to the Algarve if your objective is to get to know Portugal well and take good pictures.

Go to my site: www.pbase.com/mnogueira and see the gallery called "Porto Palafitico". It's near Troia. If you which to know more, please ask.

If you do this, you'll be going through "Costa Vicentina" which is part of a region called "Alentejo" and one of the most beautiful parts of Portugal. (much better than Algarve in terms of nature, in my humble opinion).

Also Sagres is the least "Turisty" part of Algarve (I haven't been there for some time, so I don't know how it is now) and, again, one of the most beautiful.

By the way, although I live in the North of Portugal, I currently work in the South, in Sines, so I am here during the week days. If by any chance you are thinking of driving through, just let me know. Who knows if we can't talk personally and I'll be able to help you a little bit more!

Kenneth Sky

Portugal
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2006, 05:20:57 pm »

Thanks but I fly in to Faro & out of Lisbon. After the Algarve I have 4 posadas booked in the middle of the country and then 3 days in Lisbon. I will be driving but doubt I can follow the Atlantic coast up into the middle of the country. I'm hoping to drive daily in the Algarve and not just see the coast but inland. I hope to capture the Moorish influence of hte area

mnogueira

Portugal
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2006, 06:21:27 pm »

Well, moorish influence is exactly what you'll get !!!   The south of Portugal is full of that !

(just a little joke between north and south)

If there are any specific questions about any city or place you'll visit, just ask. I might be able to help.

About Algarve: the less tourist areas are the edges, either east (near spain) or west. Inland is also a good bet.

Best regards

Miguel

Frere Jacques

• http://found.kezman.info/
Portugal
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2006, 03:49:45 am »

Lisbon! One of my favorite cities!!! Pray for sunny weather -- the light in Lisbon is spectacular!

Some suggestions:

Bario Alto at sunset/twilight
Mosteiro dos Jerónimos
Alfama
Alcântara

That should keep you busy!

Enjoy!

mnogueira

Portugal
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2006, 05:35:11 am »

Just a little trick about Lisbon:

If you want to take the best picture ever of Lisbon go to the other side of "Ponte Vasco da Gama" bridge at sunset and look at Lisbon. You'll understand why it's one of the most beautiful cities in the world !

Also don't miss the city of Sintra (but expect a full day to get there and back to Lisbon) it's really worth it.

Kenneth Sky

Portugal
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2006, 08:02:15 am »

Thanks for the tips

Chris_T

Portugal
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2006, 02:43:05 pm »

I'm going to Portugal from March 19th to April 7th. The first 12 days will be driving around the Algarve and then I'll see the middle of the county and end up in Lisbon for 3 days. Any suggestions for photo ops?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=56053\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Lisboa and Algarve brought back many fond memories, photos and otherwise. Some (off the beaten path) suggestions:

Lisboa: take a few trolly rides and shoot as you go; take the Santa Justin Lift and shoot from the top (especially at night when the buildings are lit up); ramble the narrow streets of the "old town" (sorry, can't remember the name).

Algarve: colorful fishing boats and Roman bridge at Tavira (again at night); unspoiled fishing village at Cacela Velha; a huge fish market at Olhao (break of dawn) and freshest grilled sardines across the market; drive east into Spain border.

I was going to rent a car in Lisboa, but one look at the map and unable to read the road signs discouraged me. Instead I took a luxury bus to Faro and rented a car there. Be careful driving along the two lane coast highway. One morning a car was speeding towards me on my lane!
Pages: [1]   Go Up