Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Thank you adding "Excluding 35mm"  (Read 10090 times)

sailronin

• David Reams Photography
Thank you adding "Excluding 35mm"
« on: March 04, 2015, 09:05:37 pm »

Not to be too much of a curmudgeon but this section was turning into a Nikon d8xx, Canon "whatever" group instead of Medium Format. Thanks for adding the exclusion in the title.

Let the flames begin!
Thank you for looking, comments and critiques are always welcome.
Dave

http://sailronin.smugmug.com

sgilbert

Re: Thank you adding "Excluding 35mm"
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 10:58:24 pm »

That's because people don't know that the term "medium format" means.  They seem to think it refers to the number of pixels.

Then of course there are those who think their thoughts on any subject belong here.  Maybe it's a community thing.  

And of course those who love flaming MF in general or a particular brand and need to point out the release of every camera that signals the demise of the format or brand. 
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 11:00:06 pm by sgilbert »

voidshatter

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2015, 11:15:48 pm »

imo banning the 35mm discussion here can of course reduce some flame and avoid some religious conversion (that some leaves MF for 35mm), but I would think it better to let everyone and MF manufacturer know how 35mm is pushing and why MF needs to raise the bar.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2015, 01:01:24 am »

Hi,

Just to say, that "excluding 35mm" has been around for quit a few years. If you check number of messages it is one of the most active forums on the site.

Best regards
Erik

Not to be too much of a curmudgeon but this section was turning into a Nikon d8xx, Canon "whatever" group instead of Medium Format. Thanks for adding the exclusion in the title.

Let the flames begin!
Erik Kaffehr

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2015, 01:39:45 am »

Hi,

That "excluding 35mm" has been part of the forum description for quite a few years, nothing new. Wisely enough, the forum owners are not for censoring discussion, as long as tone is civilised.

I don't think any of these sub forums are intended for mutual admiration, if you discuss benefits you also need to be able to discuss disadvantages and competitive landscape. Quite a few posters have been into medium format and went to 135, frequent Nikon advocate BernardLanguillier is an example of that. Well he is also shooting 4x5" and recently got a Hasselblad kit.

Chris Barret has been a long time MFD advocate, but now shifted efforts to shooting Sony A7r on a technical body, it seems.

Some people don't shoot MFD, but have collected deep insights in imaging like Bart van der Wolf or Jim Kasson, who also happens to have MFD in retirement.

Some folks have a lot of experience and knowledge and I don't think those folks should be forced into exile just because they are not subscribing to the mutual MFD admiration, their knowledge and experience is valuable.

Personally I do something of 50% of my shooting with MFD  (Hasselblad 555/P45+ and six lenses) and actually enjoying it. The other 50% is on smaller formats (Sony A99 and A77 with five lenses) and I am enjoying that, too. Sometimes the smaller format is more appropriate. So I have decent level of experience with both I would say.

Development in smaller formats is faster. In DSLRs we had live view for a long time, for instance, but really well working LV arrived with the new Sony sensors. Many MFD owners love live view as it makes accurate focusing easy, and they may also appreciate the clean and pushable deep shadows that come with Sony's technology. Pentax and Hasselblad have made that technology available at "affordable" cost. Back side is that those Sony sensors are small (1.3X crop factor) and don't play well with symmetrical wide angles. All those things need to be discussed.

Just to say, photography is about making images and images care little about the means that were used to take them.

Best regards
Erik

imo banning the 35mm discussion here can of course reduce some flame and avoid some religious conversion (that some leaves MF for 35mm), but I would think it better to let everyone and MF manufacturer know how 35mm is pushing and why MF needs to raise the bar.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 02:25:20 am by ErikKaffehr »
Erik Kaffehr

sailronin

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2015, 09:43:12 am »

I shoot 35mm and 4x5 as well as MF, so I fully understand the "horses for courses" concept.  Perhaps another category such as "FX"or "35 full frame" or "astronomical pixel count on tiny sensors" would be a hit with members?
It just is slightly annoying to go to MF work and see Nikon or Canon or Sony A7 rather examples of stunning work exploring what's possible with MF given patience and skill. There are scads of websites displaying output from the above mentioned mfgs.
Dave

uaiomex

• http://www.eduardocervantes.com
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2015, 11:38:46 am »

From my perspective, I'm afraid it is only going to get worse.  ::)

Eduardo

P.D. Before it gets better.

I shoot 35mm and 4x5 as well as MF, so I fully understand the "horses for courses" concept.  Perhaps another category such as "FX"or "35 full frame" or "astronomical pixel count on tiny sensors" would be a hit with members?
It just is slightly annoying to go to MF work and see Nikon or Canon or Sony A7 rather examples of stunning work exploring what's possible with MF given patience and skill. There are scads of websites displaying output from the above mentioned mfgs.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 11:45:12 am by uaiomex »

paulmoorestudio

• http://paulmoorestudio.com
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2015, 03:30:04 pm »

so this is the place if I shoot with a view camera with a 16mp digital back but not the place to be if I shoot with a the same view camera with a 36mp sony attached..got it.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2015, 03:41:14 pm »

Hi,

Some folks see it that way, some don't.

Best regards
Erik

so this is the place if I shoot with a view camera with a 16mp digital back but not the place to be if I shoot with a the same view camera with a 36mp sony attached..got it.

Erik Kaffehr

Chris Livsey

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2015, 04:31:24 pm »

Just to say, photography is about making images and images care little about the means that were used to take them.

Best regards
Erik

I have to disagree Erik, sometimes it is just about the enjoyment of using the equipment, or with film the physical processing and printing, the image can become secondary.
A colleague is a fine woodworker, he will happily plane wood for no point other than the pleasure of handling, and using with great skill, his tools and the materials. His finished product is pointless.
I do agree the images don't care either way  ;D

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2015, 04:44:27 pm »

I think there's already plenty of evidence around for them.

I have no problem at all if other size formats - in the proper context - are a part of this thread.

But time is a valuable commodity, and one we have less and less of these days it seems. And since this is a forum where many come to for information - hence the organizational naming of various discussion categories - it makes sense to keep things in some sort of order to keep threads and topics that people are drawn to from totally dissolving into non related content.

So again, in a proper and useful context, no problem on my end with other formats as they relate to medium format (not that I matter, but some might think I have a vested interest).

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 05:51:24 pm by Steve Hendrix »
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

ben730

• www.benhuggler.com
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2015, 05:22:45 pm »

Some people want to be better than others by using MF.
They think the format makes the difference, it's the royal league....
This section is not for the simple man on the street.

;)

sailronin

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2015, 05:56:32 pm »

;)

That's a pretty cynical view and given the price of a D4 system in relation to a used Hassy, totally off base
Dave

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2015, 05:59:38 pm »

Most of the 35mm discussions in the MF section are within threads where the OP is requesting explicit advise as to whether he/she should invest into MF or stay in the 35mm world.

Those are reasonable questions, and it will be hard to answer them if speaking about 35mm is forbidden.

Now, we may decide that hesitation is outlaw and focus on the guys who have committed to larger than 35mm by putting money on the table already? ;)

I am also wondering whether stitching - with virtual sensors typically much larger than MF ones - is eligible?

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 06:08:19 pm by BernardLanguillier »

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2015, 06:02:27 pm »

That's a pretty cynical view and given the price of a D4 system in relation to a used Hassy, totally off base

Well, MF these days pretty much means MFDB, right?

I don't think that my Hassy 503cw and Distagon CFE 40mm f4 IF fools anyone into thinking that I really am a MF user.  ;D

Cheers,
Bernard

ben730

• www.benhuggler.com
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2015, 06:33:53 pm »

;)

Yes, it's cynical, but it's not about the price. It's about the meaning behind a post.
I learned to read some members posts diagonal or not at all.

bcooter

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2015, 01:42:04 am »

I've just seen this series on 4 buildings approx 4 stories high (and yes I know about the size of the dot screen of outdoor).

Still the one's I've seen are pretty and their NOT 35mm.

http://www.adweek.com/adfreak/apple-putting-users-beautiful-iphone-6-photos-billboards-and-print-ads-163235

IMO

BC
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 01:56:47 am by bcooter »

torger

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2015, 02:30:34 am »

I've just seen this series on 4 buildings approx 4 stories high (and yes I know about the size of the dot screen of outdoor).

http://www.adweek.com/adfreak/apple-putting-users-beautiful-iphone-6-photos-billboards-and-print-ads-163235

IMO

BC

I have seen some of those ads in large size, and it's really as good ad for iPhone as for larger formats. They don't look that good if you get a little close. They just prove the old rule that with enough viewing distance anything will do.

synn

• My fine art portfolio
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2015, 05:34:20 am »

I still have trouble understanding why people can't grasp the simple concept of keeping discussions about specific formats in their own areas. Do you see Hasselblad users barging into M43 forums and trying to argue with the Olympus crowd on how their newfangled sensor shift tech isn't as good as multishot or whatever? No, because they have better things to do.

As a person who shoots both full frame 35mm and MFD, I see very little reason in real life to constantly compare the two formats I use. When I have a concept in mind, I more or less know which of the two systems I will be using. When I search for old threads in this forum, there were many interesting and informative threads about MFD specifically and I learned a lot from those threads. But for a new user joining here to read and learn more about MFD, may he/ she have the patience of a sage to waddle through mud because the first 20 pages are full of the same old MFD vs Canikony crap that we have heard a billion and a half times by now.

Maybe we should just create one singular forum for everything because the concept of format based discussion is long dead. Better yet, just have one thread for everything because after page 2, every thread reads the exact same.
my portfolio: www.sandeepmurali.com

yaya

• http://yayapro.com
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2015, 06:06:24 am »

IMO

BC

I really like the first forest image!
Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One - Cultural Heritage
e: ysh@phaseone.com |
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up