Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Match Total Exposures not working with TIFFs  (Read 1366 times)

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
Match Total Exposures not working with TIFFs
« on: March 03, 2015, 10:09:50 am »

But, it works with RAWs. Is this expected behavior? Thanks.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

Re: Match Total Exposures not working with TIFFs
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2015, 12:37:57 pm »

Hi Peter,

Since nobody else responded sofar...

Not really expected, but somewhat understandable. A Raw file is (usually) in linear gamma, which makes changing 'exposure' after-the-fact relatively simple (just a multiplication factor). Once imagedata has gone through unknown no-linear adjustments, it becomes much harder to adjust 'exposure' or rather brightness. Because also gamma is usually no longer linear, color in pre-processed TIFFs will change with brightness adjustments.

Nevertheless, for small adjustments, I think it would be useful to have a means to synchronize brightness levels of TIFFs. One typically can use the image median value if the scene is the same. For other matching one would have to rely on the EXIF data, but exposure info is not that precise (1/3rd stop interval precision), and the images could have been edited differently since, so overlapping regions need to be found and compared. The changes to the TIFFs would preferably be done after linearization to gamma 1.0 and then back to where they came from, e.g. 2.2 or 1.8, or sRGB slope limited gamma.

Cheers,
Bart 
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
Re: Match Total Exposures not working with TIFFs
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2015, 01:00:34 pm »

It does not always work with RAWs either. I have seen this happen when there are large clipped areas in one of the photos being matched. I have not tried more than a single example with TIFFs. However it is not that difficult to match manually. You can put the cursor over an area you want to have matched and then go to the other photo and turn exposure up or down until you get matching values. That's what I have done in cases where match total exposures does not work or Lightroom even gives the message that it can't compute it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up