Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Obtaining 8K video from the Nikon D800!  (Read 2249 times)

Art Sanchez

Obtaining 8K video from the Nikon D800!
« on: March 02, 2015, 05:25:50 pm »

Hi folks,

I would like to share our last development in architecture motion photography.
We have developed a new technique called Quicklapse, we have obtained 8K 12bit raw video with the Nikon D800.

Here is the video:

Full workflow explained here: http://www.sanchez-olaso.com/blog/2015/2/24/capturing-8k-video-of-son-brull-behind-the-scenes

I hope that you like it.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Re: Obtaining 8K video from the Nikon D800!
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 06:03:28 pm »

Thanks for sharing, superb imagery and outstanding image quality!

The dynamic range is particularly impressive in the sections where natural light shines through the windows.

cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 06:05:44 pm by BernardLanguillier »

MarkL

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2015, 08:18:12 am »

I'd like to hear more about the time remapping.

I have stared using Nikon V1 for this as due to having an electronic shutter it can shoot 40 frames at 30fps or 60fps. I want to use two stacked on top of each other and match up the footage in post mostly through cropping top/bottom then triggering the second with a delay. So far manually guessing is the only way I can come up with though.

This sensor with some more DR and a large buffer would be really great.

Art Sanchez

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2015, 07:21:23 pm »

Thanks for your comments

Thanks for sharing, superb imagery and outstanding image quality!

The dynamic range is particularly impressive in the sections where natural light shines through the windows.

cheers,
Bernard

Art Sanchez

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2015, 07:28:05 pm »

http://www.videocopilot.net/basic/tutorials/06.Time/

I'd like to hear more about the time remapping.

I have stared using Nikon V1 for this as due to having an electronic shutter it can shoot 40 frames at 30fps or 60fps. I want to use two stacked on top of each other and match up the footage in post mostly through cropping top/bottom then triggering the second with a delay. So far manually guessing is the only way I can come up with though.

This sensor with some more DR and a large buffer would be really great.

DanielStone

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2015, 09:01:54 pm »

Art, thanks for sharing your process/productions with us.
I don't do any video work myself at present, but I was wondering about this very topic recently. IMO, it is especially suited for motion imagery that doesn't involve actual MOVING contents/subjects (like the pool shots @ 2:30 & 2:47, the water looked a bit funky/jittery compared to everything else).

Other than that, I can only see this being a very nice way to future-proof one's shots happening today for future branding/usage purposes past the currently allotted timeframe the client pays for. Due to frame rate limitations, it isn't for everything, but it's getting close. Just a few more years and we might start seeing global/sensor-based shutters which could allow high-speed, hi-megapixel capture for ultra-hi-def motion use. Fingers crossed!

cheers,
Dan

MarkL

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2015, 08:42:29 am »

Other than that, I can only see this being a very nice way to future-proof one's shots happening today for future branding/usage purposes past the currently allotted timeframe the client pays for. Due to frame rate limitations, it isn't for everything, but it's getting close. Just a few more years and we might start seeing global/sensor-based shutters which could allow high-speed, hi-megapixel capture for ultra-hi-def motion use. Fingers crossed!

cheers,
Dan

Yes, the only cameras we have at the moment are nikon V1/2 and 3. This sensor without the buffer limit on the 1-series would give 5k RAW video at upt to 60fps.
Pages: [1]   Go Up