Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: need slimmer sync cables with Alpa  (Read 703 times)

epines

• ethan pines photography
need slimmer sync cables with Alpa
« on: March 02, 2015, 12:39:15 pm »

Using my Hassy H3D back on my Alpa SWA the other day, I came across a problem. When swapping the lens to the rear of the camera, and the digi back to the front (so the back shifts rather than than the lens), the lens-to-back sync cable and the back-to-Pocket Wizard cable barely fit between the digi back and the SWA's wood handles. (The cables protrude from the side of the back, rather than from the rear.) It's impossible to shift over 10mm due to the cables being in the way.

Does anyone know of any cables that have a slimmer profile than the standard Pocket Wizard ones? I'm referring specifically to the elbow segment, where it angles 90 degrees after emerging from the H3D back.

If not, is it possible to just strip the exterior from the cable and tape it up with electrical tape?

thanks
ethan

« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 12:47:48 pm by epines »

Chris Valites

• Capture Integration
Re: need slimmer sync cables with Alpa
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 03:53:27 pm »

I'd honestly just get some heat shrink, rather than electrical tape. Given that the PW cables are so inexpensive these days, you should be able to buy a few and try stripping that sheathe away. Just remember that it's heat shrink rather than rubber...it will not have the structural integrity of the rubber itself.

Are you talking about the accordian stress relief section specifically on the right angle bit? You could strip that away and use hot glue to form a mold around the bare cable if you wanted. Not pretty but you can form it a bit easier that way.
Chris Valites
Research, Marketing & Support, Capture Integration(e-mail Me)
MFDB: Phase One/Leaf-Mamiya/Hasselblad/Leica/Sinar
TechCam: Alpa/Cambo/Arca Swiss/Sinar
Direct: 716.913.7936

epines

• ethan pines photography
Re: need slimmer sync cables with Alpa
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 10:11:05 pm »

Thanks, Chris. I'll give it a try. I'm talking about the hard elbow part next to the accordion segment. That's the part getting in the way. I might initially just try shaving it down with some sandpaper. It doesn't actually need a ton of trimming.
Pages: [1]   Go Up