Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Out sourcing larger prints- 20x30 and up??  (Read 2636 times)

gchappel

Out sourcing larger prints- 20x30 and up??
« on: March 01, 2015, 12:22:27 pm »

I am/was about to pull the trigger on a ipf 8400, but for my own printing I am finding it hard to justify. (Getting cold feet)
I am presently happy with the epson 3880, up to 16x20 size prints.  But I itch to print bigger, and over the last
few years have many images that cry out to be large. 
My concern is I really only have room at the house for 5-8 large prints hanging at any one time.  I probably see myself realistically printing well less than 50 large prints a year, the 3880 can handle everything smaller.
Thus, I thought I would give out sourcing to an outside printer one more chance. 
I have tried several labs over the years, nothing recently.  I was never as happy as with my own prints. 
I was going to send one landscape image to 2 printers, likely white wall and dpipro, 20x30 on a coldpress like art paper and see.   
If I do not like either- I will go ahead and purchase a printer. 
Any other suggestions as to a print house to try?  I would like to form a relationship so I know what I am going to get.
Yes, my workflow is color correct, Coloredge monitor, my present prints look like my monitor. 

Thanks for any thought and help steering me in a direction.  I would love to print my own, but I am concerned my volume is too low to justify- and I am also concerned about the  maintenance issues that seem to arise with little useage.
Gary Chappel

hugowolf

Re: Out sourcing larger prints- 20x30 and up??
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2015, 01:09:19 pm »

Where are you located? You have nothing in your profile.

I start by looking local. Do Google search for printers in your town or city, or nearest town or city.

What sort of cold pressed fine art paper where you thinking of?

Brian

howardm

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2015, 02:36:13 pm »

always an interesting read for the large format wannabe's :) ..........

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/stuff2/?p=2533

gchappel

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2015, 03:15:45 pm »

always an interesting read for the large format wannabe's :) ..........

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/stuff2/?p=2533

Thanks, I had read that. 
I will never be able to cost justify this, but there is something about watching the print come off the printer that I like.
It "somewhat" reminds me of my old darkroom days.  When it is hanging on the wall there is something about knowing you did it yourself- all of it.
It costs less than a camera body, and by the time I print a bunch of large prints will have paid for itself, but what do I do with all the prints?  I have piles of 16x20 laying around.
At the same time the size, and maintenance of the beast cannot be ignored. 
Torn I am
Gary

gchappel

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2015, 03:17:11 pm »

Where are you located? You have nothing in your profile.

I start by looking local. Do Google search for printers in your town or city, or nearest town or city.

What sort of cold pressed fine art paper where you thinking of?

Brian

Oops, updated my profile- in central Florida.
I have only used epson papers to this point.  Just printed a bunch on the redriver sample pack last weekend, some of those- especially some of the matts- were nice.
Gary

howardm

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2015, 04:32:21 pm »

Believe me, I know.

I just cant justify a 24" by anything that resembles reality.

hugowolf

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2015, 06:50:34 pm »

Oops, updated my profile- in central Florida.
I have only used epson papers to this point.  Just printed a bunch on the redriver sample pack last weekend, some of those- especially some of the matts- were nice.
Gary

If you want to experiment with a higher grade of paper, look into getting sample packs from Canson and Hahnemhule. Red River paper, while good value, is middling at best.

Brian A

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2015, 12:26:30 am »

This world is full of dentists's reception rooms filled with hideous Walmart paintings.  Those impoverished walls are calling out for local interest subjects elevated to chromatic glory in the manner of Peter Lik, in sofa-sized, 24-inch-printer-friendly sizes.  Or preferably, 44-inch-printer-friendly sizes.  Just sayin'.  But in fact, that is a realistic and active market, not to mention lawyers, doctors, orthodontists, mayors, governors, etc.  Stay away from slot canyons, big waste of time.  You may be able to quit your day job, but think carefully first. 

sunsetcoast

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2015, 02:29:53 pm »

I would suggest giving LexJet a call if you live in FL or to visit them.  Their reps are knowledgeable and can offer a cost analysis, figure operating costs, square foot pricing and potential profit margin.  There are a ton of materials that can be printed through the Canon and numerous ways to generate income to justify what you love to do.  They seem to be the most helpful reseller.

gchappel

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2015, 07:31:49 pm »

Thanks, I will give lexjet a call.
I did try the slot canyon thing a couple of years ago.  I do have one bw print I really like.
Luckily this is not a money thing.  When my hobbies start to generate income I look at it as a business and the hobby fun goes away.
Been there- done that. 
I don't want that to happen to photography for me.
Torn I remain-
Gary
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 07:34:27 pm by gchappel »

Jeff Magidson

• Artslides Digital Imaging
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2015, 09:38:14 pm »

Perhaps someone in your area will rent out their large format printer to you by the hour? I offer this for photographers in my area (Boston, MA). I print for photographers and artists full time, but If a photographer really wants to do it all themselves, I have them bring their files/laptop over and I rent them time on my 44" Canon.

~ Jeff

~ Jeff Magidson
Custom Archival Printing
http://artslidesboston.com

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2015, 07:40:26 am »

You might also look for local art schools that teach photo classes, some of them rent darkroom space by the hour, including digital darkroom.

I'm in a small city in NC, but we have a couple of service bureaus that do work for ad agencies and design firms. One of them does a nice job making large prints on Velvet Fine Art paper. Not cheap, but for half a dozen prints a year it's fine.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

bill t.

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2015, 02:14:58 pm »

In regards to the distinction between hobby and business, there is a middle ground that might be called "enthusiast entrepreneur" that frees one to exercise one's most passionate interests in balance with exploiting the products of those to make a living.  I have known many people in the motion picture industry who fall happily into that category, as well as successful artists and authors, etc.  It's a complex subject, but to make it short it relies on creating close symbiotic relationships between producers and consumers that sidestep most of the usual ball and chain hassles of a normal business model, of which one must be constantly wary.  IMHO life is far too short to squander on other than what one loves.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2015, 02:57:02 pm »

Hi,

My choice is using an Epson 3800 (now 3880) for small prints and sending off to a commercial lab for larger prints. I use a lab that lets me print a preprocessed image at half the price. So I process the print and send it to the lab and they just print it. I would say the prints from the lab are a tiny bit better than my own, but I am still in control.

The prints I had from the lab were all on Durst Lambda.

Best regards
Erik

I am/was about to pull the trigger on a ipf 8400, but for my own printing I am finding it hard to justify. (Getting cold feet)
I am presently happy with the epson 3880, up to 16x20 size prints.  But I itch to print bigger, and over the last
few years have many images that cry out to be large. 
My concern is I really only have room at the house for 5-8 large prints hanging at any one time.  I probably see myself realistically printing well less than 50 large prints a year, the 3880 can handle everything smaller.
Thus, I thought I would give out sourcing to an outside printer one more chance. 
I have tried several labs over the years, nothing recently.  I was never as happy as with my own prints. 
I was going to send one landscape image to 2 printers, likely white wall and dpipro, 20x30 on a coldpress like art paper and see.   
If I do not like either- I will go ahead and purchase a printer. 
Any other suggestions as to a print house to try?  I would like to form a relationship so I know what I am going to get.
Yes, my workflow is color correct, Coloredge monitor, my present prints look like my monitor. 

Thanks for any thought and help steering me in a direction.  I would love to print my own, but I am concerned my volume is too low to justify- and I am also concerned about the  maintenance issues that seem to arise with little useage.
Gary Chappel
Erik Kaffehr

gchappel

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2015, 07:12:54 pm »

That was my thought, print smaller on the 3880 and larger off site. 
I had several very generous offers from my questions here- but after careful thought I am going to go ahead with the ipf8400 purchase and print/control images myself.
Thanks for the support all- will likely be back with other newbie questions
Gary

JETraeber

« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2015, 09:54:06 am »

Lexjet has the ipf8400 on sale now at a good price.  Bought mine from them last April.  Easy to work with and very helpful.
The roots of most nonsense are found in the fact that people are more specialized than problems.

disneytoy

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2015, 12:29:11 pm »

Not affiliated, just a customer:

Check out www.TheIPSstore.com, Craig is extremely responsive, even on weekends. Bought my lovely Epson 9890 for $2999, delivered with liftgate. Even had an offer for $200 free Epson paper. This was December, but they have deals all the time. Will even match prices.

Jeff Magidson

• Artslides Digital Imaging
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2015, 01:02:55 pm »

I have to jump in here - I've owned an IPF8300 for 3 years and use it almost daily. The cost of ownership is much higher than the initial purchase price. This VERY large/ heavy printer comes with a 1 year on site service warranty. After that, a service contract is about $1,300/year. If you don't have a service contract and need a repair the cost for a service call is about $1,200. The printer comes with 12 330ML ink carts, that is a LOT of ink, if you don't print regularly the ink will last forever, that might sound good, but low usage is the main reason for problems (clogged heads, short head life, etc) from what I have read on the forums. Head replacements are $350 each.

If you're going to prints less than 1,000 SF /year, I'm not sure if owning one of these printers make sense. These printers are designed to print MUCH more than that per year.

- just my opinion

~ Jeff

~ Jeff Magidson
Custom Archival Printing
http://artslidesboston.com

gchappel

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2015, 06:18:18 pm »

Thanks everyone.  My concern was low printing volume.  Working with one of the schools I think I have solved that issue.
No, I will never cost justify this- like many things in photography I really just want it.
At least for the next 6-8months I have some printing lined up which will help- long term it will not get used as much as it should/could. 
Wife actually supports me doing this- so it gets delivered next week. 
Will know in 2 years if it was a wise move.
Thanks again for all the ideas. 
I will likely be asking more beginners questions as I go
Gary

bill t.

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2015, 02:26:26 am »

You sound just like me 10 years ago when I bought that big Epson.  Look out.  Keep us posted on your first show, and we expect decent catering.  :)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up