Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: The 20D's successor...  (Read 10798 times)

Digiteyesed

• http://www.neutralhillsstills.ca/
The 20D's successor...
« on: January 14, 2006, 11:18:12 am »

Would anyone care to speculate on what the 20D's successor will look like and when it will arrive on the market? The 20D turns two this year, so it's probably due for a revamp. I'm sure that if Sony can offer a 10 MP APS-sized sensor, Canon can put the same, or better, into their next offering.

What does everyone else think?

DarkPenguin

The 20D's successor...
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2006, 01:07:49 pm »

10 mp with a bigger LCD.

61Dynamic

• http://
The 20D's successor...
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2006, 01:13:49 pm »

I think it'll have a full-frame hot-cocco dispenser. Also, for photographers who want a discreet camera for PJ work, it'll include Klingon clocking technology.

macgyver

The 20D's successor...
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2006, 04:36:00 pm »

I think it'll have a full-frame hot-cocco dispenser. Also, for photographers who want a discreet camera for PJ work, it'll include Klingon clocking technology.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=55986\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I bet that sucks down on the battery life; I guess I'll have to buy the grip.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2006, 04:36:24 pm by macgyver »

mbutler

The 20D's successor...
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2006, 04:42:25 pm »

I bet that sucks down on the battery life; I guess I'll have to buy the grip.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=55993\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

A cloaking device sure would be handy for street photography. Count me in.

Digiteyesed

The 20D's successor...
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2006, 06:16:39 pm »

A cloaking device sure would be handy for street photography. Count me in.

Er... Sounds like you need a Leica. With some black tape on it to make it more unobtrusive, of course!  

Okay, seriously, I'd love to have a one-touch MLU button. More megapixels, too. And a shutter that doesn't sound so much like a guillotine during the French Revolution as the 20D's shutter does now.

*KA-WHUNK*

Nothing announces your presence like a 20D.

Digiteyesed

The 20D's successor...
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2006, 06:20:46 pm »

10 mp with a bigger LCD.

A bigger LCD isn't a selling point for me as mine is only used to check my histogram and make sure my exposures are on the ball, or close to it. I tend to see anything larger than what I have now as a waste of my battery life. To each their own, of course.

macgyver

The 20D's successor...
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2006, 11:41:58 pm »

Okay, seriously, I'd love to have a one-touch MLU button. More megapixels, too. And a shutter that doesn't sound so much like a guillotine during the French Revolution as the 20D's shutter does now.

*KA-WHUNK*

Nothing announces your presence like a 20D.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=55996\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Except maybe a digital rebel.

I would like to see noise performance like the 5D and weather sealling.  Yeah...I know neither of those will happen, but that would be nice.  The extra 2 megapixels would be nice, but not a complete selling point.

Digiteyesed

The 20D's successor...
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2006, 10:00:33 pm »

Except maybe a digital rebel.

I would like to see noise performance like the 5D and weather sealling.  Yeah...I know neither of those will happen, but that would be nice.  The extra 2 megapixels would be nice, but not a complete selling point.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=56008\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm not sure what the DR XT sounds like, but my old 300D is quieter than my 20D. Not so quite as a 10D, but still noticeably better.

roli_bark

The 20D's successor...
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2006, 11:30:33 pm »

Most important features [for me...] on my list:
1. A broader brighter viewfinder
2. A better AF system w more AF points [by better - mainly the ability to AF in lower light conditions - e.g. aperture stops lower than 5.6]
« Last Edit: January 15, 2006, 11:32:24 pm by roli_bark »

johnvr

The 20D's successor...
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2006, 04:31:58 pm »

What I hope for:

- 10MP at least
- quiet shutter (I never bought the 20D because of that loud shutter)
- weather sealings

Don't care much about the larger LCD, but I'm pretty sure that will be introduced in the next medium range Canon DSLR, which I also think will be announced pre-PMA.

Slough

The 20D's successor...
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2006, 04:42:29 pm »

It should have Nikon on the front so that it at least looks like Nikon are gaining market share ...

Andrew Teakle

• http://www.andrewteakle.com
The 20D's successor...
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2006, 10:35:09 pm »

Here's my wishlist:
10-12 MP with 1.6x cropping factor
Faster and more accurate autofocus esp. low light
Extendable ISO down to 25 for motion effects in daylight
LCD screen that is better in bright light, I guess a little larger would be good too
One button MLU and quieter action as previously requested
I've never had a problem with weather sealing, but I'm sure this would be advantageous when we photograph the tropical north of Australia later this year  
Same price as the 20D. Thanks Mr Canon.
Andrew

macgyver

The 20D's successor...
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2006, 11:00:45 pm »

Most important features [for me...] on my list:
1. A broader brighter viewfinder
2. A better AF system w more AF points [by better - mainly the ability to AF in lower light conditions - e.g. aperture stops lower than 5.6]
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=56038\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I hadn't even thought of that. I second.

jd1566

The 20D's successor...
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2006, 10:08:39 am »

Well, if the usual "leaks" are to be believed, a 3 something D will be announced in little over a month, together with a 85mm f1.4 L.  From the look of the "leaked" pics, the 20D replacement is pretty much like the old one, so it'll be inside that we will see changes.. a 10mp sensor sounds about right.. The shutter will be as loud and clunky as ever. perhaps more buffer though in RAW.. larger LCD.. slightly higher power consumption (although how the D200 with it's CCD manages to get 1700 shots on a charge I do not know!).. So rather uneventful and really only interesting to people who haven't bought a 20D already (ie rebel shooters and film shooters still waiting for an affordable high performance digital).

Overall D200 has stolen the show for this half  of 2006.. We'll have to wait till Photokina for anything serious from Canon.

Sorry to disappoint you all.

PS - a 1DsMkII N should also make an appearance.. although 8 letters to denote a model is absolutely ridiculous. C'mon canon.. MLU, 1D3, wider dynamic range (16bit images?), weathersealed intermediate cameras... Stop being a marketing entitiy and actually put some innovation across your whole product spectrum instead of purpousely hobbling cameras.  Nikon has boldly shown what can be done.. Stop gouging the market with your FF cameras.. By my calculation the "cost" of a 1DsII is about $3450, probably less.
Ok, end of rant. Now go back to your work all, because it's another few weeks till we know anything for sure.
B&W photographer - Still lifes, Portrait

BJL

The 20D's successor...
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2006, 10:51:51 pm »

Well, if the usual "leaks" are to be believed, a 3 something D will be announced in little over a month, together with a 85mm f1.4 L.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=56295\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
OK, forget the next Canon mid-range DSLR; where have you seen this 85/1.4L leak? I read a similar rumor many months ago, that the 85/1.2 would be replaced by an f/1.4 version, partly for the sake of far faster AF.

jd1566

The 20D's successor...
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2006, 06:36:03 am »

Sorry, I stand corrected.  The lenses for PMA should be the following:

85mm f1.2 L II (I.e. an improved version of the existing Canon lens with presumably faster AF), - not the f1.4 L I was speculating.  A photo of a 3** (35D in disguise) camera with this lens appeared on a site somewhere, reproduced in the link below.

18-200 3.5-5.6 IS EF-S lens (to compete with Nikon's ultra-compact zoom) - this speculated on a Japanese site, so am less sure about it

There has been talk of a 50mm f1.2, but very few credible leaks. A photo of a 3D with a 40mm f1.2 L seems to be a fake, and quite honestly a 40mm lens is out of place in Canon's line-up.  

Canon seems to be very good at keeping it's lenses under wraps, whereas it's bodies get leaked left right and centre.  Strange state of affairs.

Please note the 3D I mentioned in my previous post is a non-entity, at least for now.  The Photoshopped images are just too fake.  However there seems to be a lot of consistency in the leaks on the 3000D and the 35D (20D replacement).  Here is a site that shows the specs on the new entry-level Canon DSLR, as well as various photos of the 35D, for what they are worth.  

http://www.infodigitalcamera.com/blog/category/canon/

More leaks will be forthcoming in the coming days and weeks, and in any event PMA is but a month away.

For Nikon shooters there is an interesting rumour of a D3H with a 10mpixel sensor and an unheard of 10fps!  Probably not for PMA, more likely around world cup time around late may/early june.

After that my already fuzzy crystal ball gets cloudy indeed.  Fun and games as always.
B&W photographer - Still lifes, Portrait

boku

• http://www.bobkulonphoto.com
The 20D's successor...
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2006, 09:29:47 am »

Sorry, I stand corrected.  The lenses for PMA should be the following:

85mm f1.2 L II (I.e. an improved version of the existing Canon lens with presumably faster AF), - not the f1.4 L I was speculating.  A photo of a 3** (35D in disguise) camera with this lens appeared on a site somewhere, reproduced in the link below.

18-200 3.5-5.6 IS EF-S lens (to compete with Nikon's ultra-compact zoom) - this speculated on a Japanese site, so am less sure about it

There has been talk of a 50mm f1.2, but very few credible leaks. A photo of a 3D with a 40mm f1.2 L seems to be a fake, and quite honestly a 40mm lens is out of place in Canon's line-up. 

Canon seems to be very good at keeping it's lenses under wraps, whereas it's bodies get leaked left right and centre.  Strange state of affairs.

These lenses are real yawners, IMHO. Niche products. Not much to talk about, so why bother with a leak.
Bob Kulon

Oh, one more thing...[b

macgyver

The 20D's successor...
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2006, 12:50:25 pm »

These lenses are real yawners, IMHO. Niche products. Not much to talk about, so why bother with a leak.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=56673\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Just out of curiosity what would you say would be a leakable, non-yawner lens?  Neither of these is all that exciting, but both seem like good additions to the lineup.

Tim Gray

• http://www.timgrayphotography.com
The 20D's successor...
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2006, 12:57:10 pm »

Just out of curiosity what would you say would be a leakable, non-yawner lens?  Neither of these is all that exciting, but both seem like good additions to the lineup.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=56694\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Maybe an L prime between the 14 2.8 and 24 1.4?  Or even updated versions of these...  I was surprised at the speculation since I thought they might try to alleviate some of the weakness in the wa range.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up