Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problem renaming ACR dcp profiles.  (Read 4275 times)

Redcrown

Problem renaming ACR dcp profiles.
« on: February 27, 2015, 01:35:39 pm »

I've been playing with DNGPE making lots of ACR camera profiles for testing. I created a lot of files and a mess of the file names, so I tried renaming some "dcp" profiles. Found a problem and a mystery.

When I rename any profile that was created from the Adobe Standard base profile, all looks good. But when I rename a profile that was created from any other Adobe base profile (faithful, neutral, landscape, etc.) the renamed version behaves quite differently than the original.

When I apply the profiles in ACR, the renamed profile is brighter with more contrast than the original. The histogram stretches in both directions. The renamed profile looks like it has a different tone curve. The same thing happens if I take an Adobe profile, dupe it and rename it. A duped and renamed Adobe Standard profile looks the same as the original, a duped and renamed Camera Faithful profile does not.

I've used two separate tools to do the renaming. First the Xrite DNG ProfileManager, then DcpTools. With DcpTools, I decompiled the profile to xml format, editied that to change the name, then recompiled back to dcp. When I do that I get the following two messages:

Information: ReductionMatrix1 has zero dimensions
Information: ReductionMatrix2 has zero dimensions

However, I get those same messages if I just decompile and re-compile any profile without editing the xml. I've decompiled several original/renamed pairs and compared the xml files using a file difference utility. It shows no difference other than the profile name.

I've run DNGPE and loaded the renamed profiles as "base" profile so I could inspect the base tone curve. I see no difference in the base tone curve between the original and renamed profiles.

So I'm stuck with the mystery, looking for hints on what to try next.

How did I get here? I foolishly generated a series of profiles named "Temp1, Temp2... Temp5". Tested them and decided "Temp3" was the best. Then wanted to rename "Temp3" to something more meaningful. Not a big problem because I can easily regenerate "Temp3" with a proper name, but the mystery remains.

sandymc

Re: Problem renaming ACR dcp profiles.
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 01:59:54 pm »

Are you using the latest dcpTool (1.4)? Only the latest version of dcpTool understands the latest camera profiles.

Sandy

Redcrown

Re: Problem renaming ACR dcp profiles.
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2015, 02:48:12 pm »

Thanks sandymc,

I had dcpTool v1.11. Got the newer V1.4 and tried it. Problem solved. Renamed profiles are identical to the original. Well, almost identical. No visible difference on screen, but I can see the smallest perceptible shift in the histograms as I toggle between some profiles.

I'm profiling a Canon 5D3, which is 3 year old (2012) technology, but I guess that's too new for Xrite's 2011 version of their profile manager. Also might explain why I can't get a decent profile out of Xrite's 2009 version of their Passport software. As popular as the Xrite Passport is, I wonder why they have not improved their software beyond version 1.
Pages: [1]   Go Up