Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: long focal length lenses for Hasselblad V system  (Read 1676 times)

Balt

long focal length lenses for Hasselblad V system
« on: February 27, 2015, 09:11:41 am »

Hi all,

I have an old silver sonnar 250mm lens I've been using with my V system. Now that I have leapt onto the 50c back, that lens is clearly not cutting it any longer unfortunately, so I'm looking to upgrade without breaking the bank. The dream lens would be the 350mm superapochromat, supposedly the sharpest telephoto lens ever made. But they're simply not affordable. Can anyone comment on a comparison between the superapochromat lens and a 500mm apo-tessar lens?

Cheers

- Balt

D White

• Don White
    • iStock
Re: long focal length lenses for Hasselblad V system
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 07:25:41 pm »

I have had the 500f8 Apotessar for many years, and it is one of the worst performing lenses I have ever had. The amount of corner CA has to be seen to be believed. It is one of the reasons I have a hard time buying into the Zeiss myth. If you think your 250f5.6 Sonnar is not up to the grade then absolutely avoid this lens. Compared to any long Canon lens I have had you would think they got their optical glass from a coke bottling plant. The 250SA I have is very good and the 180f4 is decent. If you bought a 50c then maybe you will need to go all the way for a 350SA or bust.
Dr D White DDS BSc

Balt

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2015, 07:38:08 pm »

That's interesting to hear, particularly given I'm about to buy one of those on eBay! Which generation do you have? The one that focuses to 5m or 8.5m? I was told there's a big image quality difference.

Cheers

Balt

D White

• Don White
    • iStock
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2015, 10:54:41 pm »

If referring to the 500f8, it is the Apotessar focusing to 5m, the previous non apo that focused to 8m is even less optically advanced.
Dr D White DDS BSc

Balt

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2015, 12:22:20 am »

I think you're talking about the Tele-Tessar, they indeed were very poor performers. But the Apo-Tessar allegedly also comes in two versions. You're comments are made regarding the one that focuses to 5m?

D White

• Don White
    • iStock
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2015, 01:23:05 am »

As I said, I have the Apo, there was only one. I have tried several copies, all the same.
Dr D White DDS BSc

Chris Livsey

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2015, 02:10:01 pm »

As I said, I have the Apo, there was only one. I have tried several copies, all the same.

There were in fact two Apo versions:
CF lens :500mm f/64 - f/8 8.5m 93 Tele-Apotessar
             500mm f/64 - f/8 5.0m 93 Tele-Apotessar

The 500mm Tele-Apotessar had a minimum focusing distance of 8.5m prior to
The 8.5m version appears in print WILDI 4th edition page 196.

No optical differences, other than that close focus difference, are noted AFAIK.

Pages: [1]   Go Up