Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Prediction: The Age of the Standalone Still Camera is Coming to an End for all..  (Read 6038 times)

dreed

Prediction: The Age of the Standalone Still Camera is Coming to an End for all but PROS

This is bold prediction, but it’s clear to me that over the next several years, the standalone still camera will disappear from the hands of everyone – with the exception of a few high end professionals.

Iluvmycam

I don't use cell phone cams. But cell phones can't shoot lots of things, or at least shoot them well.

A cell phone would not work well for these night shots.

http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2015/007/7/f/bikers__mardi_gras_no__36_daniel_d__teoli_jr__by_ilovemycam-d8cpew9.jpg

nsfw

http://dewallenrld.tumblr.com/

or this

http://dbprng00ikc2j.cloudfront.net/work/image/721151/mf2ji7/20130802131116-_The_Lost_Princess__Copyright_2013_Daniel_Teoli_Jr-V32__MR.jpg

Sure lots of cell and mini cams.

nsfw

http://rangefindercamera.tumblr.com/image/108384062824

nsfw

http://rangefindercamera.tumblr.com/image/108383649339

But lots they can't shoot well.

http://rangefindercamera.tumblr.com/image/90250190154

http://rangefindercamera.tumblr.com/image/108404692249

I don't know what the future will hold, but I got 6 Fuji's and a few Leica's, so am hopefully set for the few years I got left.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 12:24:18 am by iluvmycam »

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/

I don't think it is going to happen for the following reasons:
- Lack of lens reach,
- Lack of DoF control,
- UI issues with handheld device form factor,
- Lack of physical space will always impose strong constraints compared to more bulky devices,
- Lack of personality, many photographers like the physical connection with their camera as an object,

Cheers,
Bernard

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com

I take some comfort in knowing that I am now one of "a few high end professionals."

Some additional predictions:

* Photography will have killed off fine art painting by about 1850.

* With computers in every home, no one will use paper documents any more after the year 2000.

* By Ground Hog Day of the year 2015 I will have received at least ten serious offers for the bridge I am trying to sell in Brooklyn.

::)
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

amolitor

High end professionals... and enthusiasts.

There's still people shooting wet plate. Film. The DSLR and its followons aren't going anyplace.

R&D is gonna drop off a cliff, sure. Who cares? We're well into the land of diminishing returns anyways. Does it matter than nobody is working on improving T-grain emulsions? Nope. Nobody knows for sure, but there's probably going to remain some sort of market for DSLRs and/or MILC or whatever. It's just not going to be a gigantic gravy train for a bunch of large companies.

The digital revolution was a short-term spike in the graphs. The players are gonna have a shakeout. It's gonna be ugly. The company that can shrink-to-fit best without dropping any of the several necessary balls (staff retention, customer satisfaction, manufacturing and sourcing issues, etc) too hard is going to end up on top of a smallish but likely still profitable business. Look at camera sales in the 1970s. Much much much much smaller than today. Still supported some companies.

LKaven

This read like an article written by someone who wants to keep his brand name up.  Plenty of plugs for his latest project wagging a barely coherent thesis.  Nothing like a "bold concept" to get people talking.

Mobile devices might have killed the low-end compact market.  And while the mid-to-high end market isn't booming any more, it isn't going bust either.  People who really want to do photography have got themselves set up for the time being.  The used market is brimming with cameras that are still good by today's standards, and going for affordable prices.

I never did think a good APS-c/FF camera was for everyone.  But I don't think that the people who like these cameras -- and there are a lot of such people -- are by-and-large inclined to sell them off in favor of their iPhones. 

dreed

What I find interesting about the graphs (compare film with digital) is the following:
- when everyone shot film, most people bought compact cameras and a few bought SLRs. Rinse and repeat with digital.
- with film cameras, most of the R&D went into lenses as there wasn't a whole lot of R&D to do with film cameras.
- to support a digital camera you need:
  + software developers for in-camera software
  + software developers for out-of-camera software
  + development costs for the sensor
  + finally, camera development that was similar to what was required for SLRs (AF, etc)

Thus a digital camera (especially a DSLR) is a lot more expensive to develop.

How can a camera company reduce costs?
+ out of camera software: package Lightroom
+ in camera software: export DNG rather than "my own raw format"
+ buy someone else's sensor

That still leaves:
+ basic camera development costs (AF)
+ basic camera software development costs (camera firmware)

How many of these cost reduction steps will we see appear? Time will tell!

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com

The transition the guy's talking about already has taken place. Take a look at the back pages of a magazine like Popular Photography. The number of ads in Pop Photo keeps diminishing and the mag is thinner every issue. And if you look at the lineup in one of the big camera equipment purveyors, say B&H, you see that point-and-shoots have nearly disappeared. Cell phones have taken over the point-and-shoot crowd almost completely.

But pro and semi-pro equipment is still going strong. Check the listing of full-frame bodies from Nikon, for instance. In short, the market is closing in toward where it used to be in, say, the sixties, when if you wanted to point and shoot you could buy a Kodak at the drugstore and then get your film developed and printed at the same drugstore. But if you wanted to do serious photography you went to the camera shop and bought a Leica or a 4 x 5 view camera, lenses, enlarger, developing tanks, trays, dryer, etc., etc.

Photography as an art form was an expensive proposition in the sixties and it still is and still will be for the foreseeable future. The difference is that nowadays most of the expense is in the rapid evolution of digital bodies and lenses instead of in post-processing and printing.

Yesterday I shot a portrait of a lady on her 103rd birthday. I seated her with a window slightly above and behind her to camera right and got a bystander to hold a Tri Grip reflector slightly low and camera left. I shot with a D800 and an 85mm f/1.4 lens. This kind of picture ain't gonna come from a cell phone any time soon, so relax, the still camera isn't going away in the lifetime of anybody on LuLa today.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

mezzoduomo

LOL............................

Peter

LOL is right.
Predictions: At the World's Fair in Montreal in the 60's I was promised a jet-pack by 1990.  ;D

BJL

The desire for a wide zoom range alone makes nonsense of this
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2015, 10:50:56 am »

I don't think it is going to happen for the following reasons:
- Lack of lens reach,
That alone is enough: there are millions of us who are far from being professional photographers, but want to photograph scenes over a range from wide to narrow angular coverage: cropping the moderately wide-angle image from a phone's sensor in never going to do the job nearly as well as having a zoom lens or two.  (Another "click-bait" speculation could be whether improvements in zoom lens and in the low light performance of sensors will cause prime lenses to be mostly limited to the realm of professionals and serious amateurs who use professional-level gear.)

As a reality check: digital ILC's are still selling in higher numbers than film ILCs at the end of the tim eras; the settling back after the high camera churn of the film-to-digital transition is being short-sightedly, pessimistically misinterpreted by some people.  Yes, some camera companies and their investors need to worry, along perhaps with enthusiasts of some brands and systems that might fail, but it is still a golden age for us ILC-using amateurs, and for enthusiasts whose compact digital cameras give for more flexibility than any comparably portable film gear.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 10:52:38 am by BJL »

Isaac

Re: The desire for a wide zoom range alone makes nonsense of this
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2015, 03:16:40 pm »

… there are millions of us …

Perhaps there will be a generational change and enthusiast photographers will become as commonplace as poets.

Telecaster

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2015, 05:56:32 pm »

Perhaps there will be a generational change and enthusiast photographers will become as commonplace as poets.

I can see this as a possibility. Imagery could become so omnipresent & ubiquitous that people could lose much of their interest in creating yet more of it. Reaching technical plateaus—due to lack of consumer interest rather than innovative/iterative capability—might sluice away much of the specs-obsessed enthusiast crowd too. I doubt any of this will happen in the near term, but who knows? Whatever happens will have little effect on me personally. I can take pics with my 4x5" using glass plates or paper negs with brushed-on emulsion if necessary.  :D

-Dave-

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2015, 07:14:35 pm »

I can see this as a possibility. Imagery could become so omnipresent & ubiquitous that people could lose much of their interest in creating yet more of it. Reaching technical plateaus—due to lack of consumer interest rather than innovative/iterative capability—might sluice away much of the specs-obsessed enthusiast crowd too. I doubt any of this will happen in the near term, but who knows?

That will be self regulating as it always has.

Cheers,
Bernard

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography

I read Vincent Laforet's article and he's probably right on the button.
There is a video on the collapsing camera market at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfCJDIf-NeA
The graphs are convincing.
From my unreliable memory I recall that the presenter showed that dslr sales have closely followed those of point and shoots, but with a two year lag.
The decline of point and shoot cameras has not followed a conventional sales curve, but has undergone a catastrophic decline.
The cause is NOT smartphones as such. You can demonstrate a causal link between the decline of mp3 players and the rise of smartphones, but the graphs do not show the same link between point and shoots and smartphones.
The cause is most likely the software.
You can use the same software on a variety of smartphones and it's simple and fun. No vast array of knobs and sub-menus. No manufacturer specific raw files, lenses and memory cards. You sort and process your images with your friends over an afternoon cup of coffee and when you get home they are already uploaded to your social media of choice.
In current sales model was probably begun long ago by Kodak. Box Brownie sales supported the development of higher end Kodaks and there was a clear upgrade path. Now with sales of the lower end cameras disappearing, the money to develop new dslr models is gone.
Companies like Fuji and Canon have a larger sales base and are probably okay, as are medium format manufacturers. The rest are trouble if they can't address the software, ease of use, proprietary raw file and lens mount issues.
David

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography

David,

Thanks for the link to the Mayflower Concepts presentation which initially sounds very convincing. I think his analysis is not correct. The thing he is missing is that from about 2010 the camera sales and smart phones sales follows opposite curves. If he had limited his correlation analysis to this subject I'm sure the correlation coefficient would be much higher. The other thing that happened in 2010 was the launch of the iPhone 4 and later 4S with significant better cameras and also the emergence of photo sharing apps. Look at the growth of Instagram, Facebook etc. which happened in the same time period. So it's not just camera quality of the smart phone, but really the way it can be used and all this happened in this time. Still maybe not enough to explain the sharp decline that happened after 2012. He skips quickly over trying to explain the catastrophic event and what could have caused it. He then goes on to talk about how the camera industry has not at all caught up on the smart phone revolution in ease if use. I think he has a real point there and that it is the reason for the decline, but his business analysis does not support this claim.

I have before written about why I simply cannot understand that new cameras released today does not contain WiFi as standard as well as GPS. Touch screen interface should be a given and more importantly a lot more work put into making pictures looking really good out of camera. Now it's only a niche of people using software like Lightroom to process pictures, but I see no attempt by Adobe to build intelligent software to help the novice process RAW pictures to look good. Why does the software not learn from the user does? I'm editing thousands of pictures using very similar approaches from picture to picture. Why could the software not try to learn what I'm doing and at least suggest and edit similar on another picture? If I don't like I could click a button for an alternative or adjust the rest myself which then would be added to the intelligence of the software. It's all manual and there is a learning curve that scares many off and they don't get the results they could get. Why does Adobe not have software that makes it possible to use a tablet for editing pictures with simple gestures if the automatic software cannot do it all. Why doesn't a camera suggest to the user to bracket and blend exposures when it sees a high DR scene? There is so much that could be done that would make the photographer able to concentrate on shooting and framing the interesting moments rather than checking the camera constantly for histograms, exposure, blown out highlights etc.

The Mayflower Concepts presentation has a use case that should be mandatory for camera manufacturers and software producers to review and take really serious. The trip to Paris. A simple thing like rating pictures in the camera, location data from builtin GPS, camera and laptop automatically sensing each other and automatically transferring images. Is it really that hard to make this? Software that would automatically process the pictures ready for sharing and setup as stories from Paris that could be shared with friends or printed. A side comment: At least my Mac and my iPhone now knows they are close and I can use the iPhone as a hotspot without even touching the phone. I would wish that camera manufacturers would start thinking like Apple. Apple also now when the Photo app comes in the Mac will have the same editing capability across all devices as well as automatic synchronization.

I can almost hear somebody saying I'm nuts and that it would take all the fun out of shooting. In my opinion it would be the complete opposite. I'm by nature lazy enough that I would enjoy having a lot of help from my tools to do what I really like: Photograph!

Isaac

I have before written about why I simply cannot understand that new cameras released today does not contain WiFi as standard as well as GPS.

The Best Wi-Fi Cameras PCmag

You already know there'll be people who don't yet feel that functionality is a necessity.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 12:50:34 pm by Isaac »

BJL

Dave, I am sorry, butI got bored after about ten minutes of mandatory corporate audience fluff, and did not feel like sitting through another 40 minutes wailting for one or two useful graphs, so can you tell me the overall situation for ILC's, and the time period that his data covers?  What I can find out is that the digital transition caused a boom in ILC unit sales to a peak of about ten times what film SLR sales were before DSLRs became a significant factor, and though DSLR/ILC are now decreasing, they are still a huge fives times or so higher than film SLR sales ever were in the late film era, and at higher average unit prices, so ILC revenues are far higher than they ever were with film cameras. So all I see is evidence of is an inevitable slow down after the bubble of the transition from film to digital and then a few generations of frequent upgrades while DSLRs were making substantial useful improvemets on a time scale of a few years.  I see not the slightest hint that this is a permanent trend all the way down to zero for non-professional ILCs, any more than the previous uptrend in digital cameras sales was permanent.  Extrapolation from a few years' trend is very unreliable.

Let me put this as a question: zoom lenes reaching about 300mm or more in "35mm equivalent" angular field of view are very popular with many amateurs (see superzooms as well as telephot zooms lenses), no phone camera can come close by cropping except at very, very low resolution, and the small actual  lens aperture sizes of phone cameras will never be able to do a decent job at this "telephoto" photography, due to the basic physics of how little light a phone-sized lens can gather from a narrow angle scene.  So do you envision a time when most or all non-professionals give up those narrow angle shots completely, in favor of the wide to normal world of pocketable snap-shot camera-phones?

BJL

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2015, 09:02:40 pm »

I'm not sure what you mean: do you speculate that photographers who are enthusiastic about things like telephoto reach will become rare?  I see absolutely no trend in that direction; the opposite in fact.

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography

Hans, yes I agree the time frame is the important thing as far as deciding the correlation coefficient. Time will tell. I think you are right about the software. Most people I see in camera clubs are seriously struggling with getting their images off the camera and into storage, let alone things like raw conversion. They want to go out and make photographs and enjoy doing it. I can't blame them.

Bill, I was going to download the presentation and watch it at 3x speed to go over the details again, but can't face it. Sorry.
I think the critical graph is the one that shows dslr sales closely following point and shoot sales but with a two year or so lag. No one has any idea if it will hold true, but I have to say if my livelihood depended on camera sales I would be stocking up on clean underwear.

So do you envision a time when most or all non-professionals give up those narrow angle shots completely, in favor of the wide to normal world of pocketable snap-shot camera-phones?

Now that the dslr tidal wave is over, all I can do is look at what was done in the past. Most people who wanted to record their travel and family used the simplest gear that they could that would give them a half usable picture. Has that really changed?
While there will always be a percentage of folks who want to do something a little better or want to be seen with a flashy camera, what was the percentage in the past? What's your memory of of this? I recall that narrow angle shots were not the norm.
I used to often play music at weddings. Five years ago  a lot of guests brought dslrs. At the last few events I did a year ago the were none. Not one. Guests were mostly holding up those ipad things. Or using their phones.
I know some very good professionals who regularly reach for their phones because they can't be bothered getting out their hefty camera bag. And their cameras are mirrorless for heavens sake. One the other hand the images are on their blog minutes later.
David

dreed

If there is a touch screen on the back of the camera then the camera has an inbuilt keyboard (just as smart phones do.)

Put a SIM card in the camera and with touch screen keyboard you can now upload to instagram, etc.

Of course that is too sensible for any camera manufacturer to actually do.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up