Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Machu Picchu advice  (Read 11505 times)

Khurram

Machu Picchu advice
« on: February 25, 2015, 11:57:15 pm »

I am planning a trip to Machu Picchu for late July or early August and wanted to get some advice on logistics, tour guide companies and equipment.

First thing, is that the only window i have is end of July or August, which i hear is a lousy time since that coincides partly with the national holiday window.  From the crowd perspective, it's probably the worst time to go, but the only window i have for a trip this year is at that time, or late December, which I've read is lousy because its the rainy season and transportation in the region is dodgy.  Other than the crowds, is August, photography weather condition wise, a good time to go to Machu Picchu??

Second question i have is choice between tour operators and tour options.  My main interest is Machu Pichu and Photography, not a hiking trek.  I realize hiking will be involved and depending on the choices can be quite strenuous.  However, I want to try and pick the best option that allows me to bring sufficient gear. 

Language wise i'm hooped, so i'm not sure, if i should be looking for a tour starting in Lima, or travel on my own to Cuzco and arrange for a guide from there.  Most tours from Lima, only have a 1 or 1 1/2 day in Machu Picchu itself.A lot of the tours i found online are hiking centric and only have a day, or 1/2 day that you actually spend at Machu Pichu itself.  I'd like to spend at least 3 to 4 full days at the site.  Most 7 to 12 day Peru tours that i've found only include 1 day at Machu Picchu.  I also wanted to know if anyone has taken tours, where you can get 2-4 days at Machu Pichu itself, as well as what other locations in Peru, should i be targeting as part of a tour???

I'm not looking at a caddilac package, but don't want a camping experience either.  I was hoping for some advice on some tour operators that would be good option for a photographer.  I haven't been able to find any photgaphy workshops in the time window i'm looking at, so if i do tour option, i'm probably going to have to go with a group that isn't a photography tour. 

I have also seen a lot of private tours that actually seem very reasonably priced, but not sure about quality/reliability/safety.  I have heard horror stories from some co-workers who went on a trekking tour through Peru in 2003 and were stranded by the tour operator, if they didn't pay them extra money.

Other things i wanted to get advice on is choice for gear - are tripods an issue at Machu Pichu (i've read mixed reports of pro gear and tripods potentially requiring permits, or additional payments).  gear wise i was going to take two bodies and wondered if lens wise i should take all of them (TSE 17L, TSE 24LII, 16-35L F4, 24-70L II, 70-200 f2.8L II).

Given that a lot of the tours i've seen are already booked solid, i probably have a pretty short window to make a decision, so I appreciate any advice i can get.
----
[url=http://www.pbase.com/kssphotog

t6b9p

• BeyondVisible
Re: Machu Picchu advice
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 11:33:43 am »

Other things i wanted to get advice on is choice for gear - are tripods an issue at Machu Pichu (i've read mixed reports of pro gear and tripods potentially requiring permits, or additional payments).

My understanding is that, all ancient monuments in S.America are considered open air museums and therefore tripods are not typically allowed unless special permits are obtained in advance. So I would also be interested to find out the facts about this and if a permit is required, what is the cost, how to go about obtaining one, is a different permit required for each site (within the same country) etc.

spidermike

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2015, 06:28:31 pm »

I'm going there next week - I will let you know.  ;D It is a standard tour but the guys we booked with have been superblyhelpfuland responsive and I don;t see a reason they could not allow for an extra day there. Some will also organsie peronal tours instead of grouptours.

Have you seen this site?
https://www.gadventures.com/blog/tips-for-taking-photos-of-machu-picchu/

« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 06:33:07 pm by spidermike »

Khurram

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2015, 12:16:25 am »

My understanding is that, all ancient monuments in S.America are considered open air museums and therefore tripods are not typically allowed unless special permits are obtained in advance. So I would also be interested to find out the facts about this and if a permit is required, what is the cost, how to go about obtaining one, is a different permit required for each site (within the same country) etc.
the private tour companies that just got back to me said that its a $300/day cost.  Not sure how to pay it, still trying to figure this out.
----

Khurram

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2015, 12:32:29 am »

I'm going there next week - I will let you know.  ;D It is a standard tour but the guys we booked with have been superblyhelpfuland responsive and I don;t see a reason they could not allow for an extra day there. Some will also organsie peronal tours instead of grouptours.

Have you seen this site?
https://www.gadventures.com/blog/tips-for-taking-photos-of-machu-picchu/

That would be great if you share your experiences, as i'm still trying to figure out which tour operator to go with and timing - or even if its feasible for me to go given luggage restrictions, since i'm going on my own.

Are you doing the hike Inca Trail hike or taking the train from Cusco to Cusco to Aguas Calientes (Machu Picchu town) ??? I was planning on taking the train.  I had looked into GAdventures, but it looks like they only offer the Inca trail tour, rather than the train into Aguas Calientes.  Overall I'm in good shape, but with my knee issues, no way i could do a 3 day trek in with inlclines/declines.

My main concerns from what i heard back from the two companies i've heard back are the following:
1 - For the train trip from Cusco to Aguas Calientes (Machu Picchu town), you are only allowed one bag and weight limit is 7kg.  I'm not sure how i can even keep my camera gear under that???  Let alone the tripod, clothes.  Given the restrictions, i don't think i'd be taking a laptop.  If my wife was going with me, this would be less of a concern, since i could have gear in a smaller pack that "looks" 7kg and she can have a small bag with clothes.

2 - they've also advised me that if my gear "looks" professional, i can be charged the $300/day permit charge as well.  It would be helpful to know if you had any issues.

3 - Will i or won't i be allowed to take a tripod.

4 - From what i read, you need to specify where you are entering from and need to book the Huayna Picchu hike in advance.  I was going to try and spend 3 to 4 days in Machu Picchu to try to increase my chances of getting good light.  I definitely want to spend at least one day at Huayna Picchu, but am not sure about Montaña Machu Picchu.  Would be good to know if its worth the trip as well.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 12:38:15 am by Khurram »
----

spidermike

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2015, 07:34:58 am »

We only have 8 days so flying to Cusco, train to Aguas Calientes then bus up to MP. We are then taking a short trip to Arequipa (close call between that and lake Titicaca).
We have yet to decide if we want to go to Montana MP or Huayna.

This is the people we will probably end up booking with: http://machupicchuviajesperu.com/CuscoTradicional4D.php
And I presume they will be able to tailor it if you want to make multiple visits.
One way to keep the weight down is to try the airline trip of wearing a baggy jacket and stack a couple of lenses in the pockets.

Khurram

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2015, 02:24:40 pm »

We only have 8 days so flying to Cusco, train to Aguas Calientes then bus up to MP. We are then taking a short trip to Arequipa (close call between that and lake Titicaca).
We have yet to decide if we want to go to Montana MP or Huayna.

This is the people we will probably end up booking with: http://machupicchuviajesperu.com/CuscoTradicional4D.php
And I presume they will be able to tailor it if you want to make multiple visits.
One way to keep the weight down is to try the airline trip of wearing a baggy jacket and stack a couple of lenses in the pockets.

thanks for the info and the link. It looks like this tour group doesn't have any overnight stay at Machu Picchu, but i'll check with them.  I want to make sure that i get at least 3 days (2 nights in Machu Picchu, so that I can maximize chances of good light.

i did get some more info regarding luggage on the train. Looks like you are allowed one carry-on size and one personal item.  I'm just not sure what size the personal item is allowable (i.e. whether my camera bag will be okay as a carry-on).

Plan to take a photo vest or jacket along, I just prefer not to be taking gear in and out in a crowded train.

Would appreciate you sharing your experience once you get back.
----

spidermike

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2015, 12:16:15 am »

I just thought I would drop a field report after visting Maccu Pichu.

Having mined the guide's brains on this it seems that if you want to get to M-P for the morning light this would mean staying at Agua Calientes and catching the first bus at 5am. Getting there early is very popular in itself so he suggested getting to the bus stop an hour before - it sounds like a mug of coca tea and a good book are in order. And if you want to get up Huayana Picchu you need to book ahead (he said 2 months) because there is a strict limit of 500 people split between 2 shifts and it takes as little as 40mins at a fast walk (up that slope...???!!) but usually 1-1.5h.

Depending on who you talk to, there is a theoretical limit of 2,000 people per day allowed into the site but numbers can top 5,000 (even apparently 7,000) on a 'bad' day. When we flew into Lima we saw many operators offering trips and similarly at the much smaller Cusco airport so I can see where the problems come in. But it seems that though booking at the last minute is certainly not an issue, availability may be.
I saw no-one using tripods but then again neither did I see any bag searches so my guess is that when you actually walk into the site try and keep gear discrete, packing a tripod and physically big lenses in your bag if they will fit (or strapped to the side covered by a rain cover). 

At the train station there are signs pretty much like the ones you see in airports indicating baggage about 15"x12"x8" (I think) with weight limit of 5kg. But there were no bag checks (contents, size or weight) even though some were clearly over those sizes so at least make it look like it weighs about 5kg even though you shoulder may be killing you :).
I have no idea if my experience above is anything to do with it being off-season (fewer people, less strict), but seating on buses and trains is all pre-booked and we had no people strap-hanging which means that space is not a limiting factor in what you would be able to take on board (unlike cram-packed budget airlines).

The tour company we booked with created a tailor-made itinerary for us and I asked the manager if they could do the sort of thing you are thinking about and he said no problem so drop them a line and start discussing it. We have found them to be excellent and very helpful and if you have time their 'Sacred Valley Tour' is worth it.

Here is another link I came across that may be helpful regards photos at Machu Picchu:
http://www.meaningfultraveler.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/How-to-Photograph-Machu-Picchu.pdf

While I am typing away I thought I may as well add a bit of 'tour guide' stuff: I don't know how much photography you have done at altitude but although M-P is 'only' 2,400m (8,000 feet) it seems to make the sun fierce and I burnt quicker today than I have in many a year, including the tropics - I guess it is the dry air we had the last couple of days (says he listening to the rain teeming down in Cusco) so sunblock, hat and sun screen are essential.
There are no toilets past the entrance so use the ones just before the gate (mercifully very clean and well maintained) and there are no refreshment stalls either so make sure you have water at least (there is a café just before the gate).

Money: Outside the big cities US Dollars are not easy to use and you get a poor exchange rate if you try and pay with dollars. The ATMs seem to dispense only 50 or 100 Soles notes which can be hard to spend at small stalls - partly because they often don't have the change to give to you and partly because they don't like taking them because they also find them hard to spend. So start breaking into the big notes as soon as possible.

People photography: I am finding this harder to judge as time goes on not because of any adverse response but more and more people seem to expect to be paid, especially the less well off. But this is one situation where it helps to have coins or small notes. I try and avoid paying kids for taking their picture especially if they are the ones coming to me ask to take their picture, though sometimes an opportunity is too good to miss and 1-2 soles seems to be the going rate. But with adults I much prefer to 'exchange' things for a picture: if someone asks me to buy one of their wares I show interest in a low-value item like a wrist band (about 1soler = 30US cents) and gesture that I will buy one if I can take his/her picture. They always agree so I end up with a pocketful of cheap wrist bands but they have a sale and I have a portrait - a good exchange I think especially as I am usually too self-conscious to ask someone to post for me off the cuff and this offers a way to bring the subject up.

As for food: guinea pig ('cuy' in local language') tastes like dark meat of chicken (but there is pitifully little meat on the beasts) and alpaca is very lean and tastes like venison. And this is no place full-bore vegetarians.

I hope this helps but if you have any other questions let me know.

Khurram

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2015, 12:47:51 am »

Thanks for taking the time to provide such a detailed reply to share your experiences!!  I also appreciate the links!! I have sent a message to your guide and am waiting to hear back from him.  What was your method of payment (i.e. paypal/wire transfer/credit card) and how much was the deposit and when and how is the final payment due.  A few of the tour operators i contacted, only take wire transfers - 30% now remainder 45 days before trip (via wire transfer as well), and that scares me a bit, as not sure what recourse there would be.

What gear did you take with you??  

Where did you spend the night in Aguas Calientes?  What were the class/quality of the hotels overall - I'm not looking for anything luxurious, but am looking for something clean (i read reports on trip advisor that has me a bit worried!!).

I"m trying to decide on doing both the Huayana Picchu and the Machu Picchu Montana hikes and trying to figure it makes sense to do them on multiple days.  From what I read the Huayana Picchu hikes are at 7AM and 11AM and I'm trying to decide which is the better option, as some of the articles i read is the best place to photograph in the morning is by the watchtower not to far from the entrance.

Its dissapointing that you didn't see anyone with tripods, which means it may be hard to get one in.  I think i'll check the process to get a permit.  Did you re-enter the park at all?  One of the companies i got a quote from, said if i wanted to return in the afternoon, i need to purchase two tickets, as the tickets are only good for a single entry.

I just booked my flights this afternoon for a 9 day/8 night trip and am looking at spending 4 days at Machu Picchu hoping to get some good light on at least one day.  Can't wait until August!!!

I just thought I would drop a field report after visting Maccu Pichu.

Having mined the guide's brains on this it seems that if you want to get to M-P for the morning light this would mean staying at Agua Calientes and catching the first bus at 5am. Getting there early is very popular in itself so he suggested getting to the bus stop an hour before - it sounds like a mug of coca tea and a good book are in order. And if you want to get up Huayana Picchu you need to book ahead (he said 2 months) because there is a strict limit of 500 people split between 2 shifts and it takes as little as 40mins at a fast walk (up that slope...???!!) but usually 1-1.5h.

Depending on who you talk to, there is a theoretical limit of 2,000 people per day allowed into the site but numbers can top 5,000 (even apparently 7,000) on a 'bad' day. When we flew into Lima we saw many operators offering trips and similarly at the much smaller Cusco airport so I can see where the problems come in. But it seems that though booking at the last minute is certainly not an issue, availability may be.
I saw no-one using tripods but then again neither did I see any bag searches so my guess is that when you actually walk into the site try and keep gear discrete, packing a tripod and physically big lenses in your bag if they will fit (or strapped to the side covered by a rain cover).  

At the train station there are signs pretty much like the ones you see in airports indicating baggage about 15"x12"x8" (I think) with weight limit of 5kg. But there were no bag checks (contents, size or weight) even though some were clearly over those sizes so at least make it look like it weighs about 5kg even though you shoulder may be killing you :).
I have no idea if my experience above is anything to do with it being off-season (fewer people, less strict), but seating on buses and trains is all pre-booked and we had no people strap-hanging which means that space is not a limiting factor in what you would be able to take on board (unlike cram-packed budget airlines).

The tour company we booked with created a tailor-made itinerary for us and I asked the manager if they could do the sort of thing you are thinking about and he said no problem so drop them a line and start discussing it. We have found them to be excellent and very helpful and if you have time their 'Sacred Valley Tour' is worth it.

Here is another link I came across that may be helpful regards photos at Machu Picchu:
http://www.meaningfultraveler.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/How-to-Photograph-Machu-Picchu.pdf

While I am typing away I thought I may as well add a bit of 'tour guide' stuff: I don't know how much photography you have done at altitude but although M-P is 'only' 2,400m (8,000 feet) it seems to make the sun fierce and I burnt quicker today than I have in many a year, including the tropics - I guess it is the dry air we had the last couple of days (says he listening to the rain teeming down in Cusco) so sunblock, hat and sun screen are essential.
There are no toilets past the entrance so use the ones just before the gate (mercifully very clean and well maintained) and there are no refreshment stalls either so make sure you have water at least (there is a café just before the gate).

Money: Outside the big cities US Dollars are not easy to use and you get a poor exchange rate if you try and pay with dollars. The ATMs seem to dispense only 50 or 100 Soles notes which can be hard to spend at small stalls - partly because they often don't have the change to give to you and partly because they don't like taking them because they also find them hard to spend. So start breaking into the big notes as soon as possible.

People photography: I am finding this harder to judge as time goes on not because of any adverse response but more and more people seem to expect to be paid, especially the less well off. But this is one situation where it helps to have coins or small notes. I try and avoid paying kids for taking their picture especially if they are the ones coming to me ask to take their picture, though sometimes an opportunity is too good to miss and 1-2 soles seems to be the going rate. But with adults I much prefer to 'exchange' things for a picture: if someone asks me to buy one of their wares I show interest in a low-value item like a wrist band (about 1soler = 30US cents) and gesture that I will buy one if I can take his/her picture. They always agree so I end up with a pocketful of cheap wrist bands but they have a sale and I have a portrait - a good exchange I think especially as I am usually too self-conscious to ask someone to post for me off the cuff and this offers a way to bring the subject up.

As for food: guinea pig ('cuy' in local language') tastes like dark meat of chicken (but there is pitifully little meat on the beasts) and alpaca is very lean and tastes like venison. And this is no place full-bore vegetarians.

I hope this helps but if you have any other questions let me know.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 12:56:31 am by Khurram »
----

spidermike

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2015, 07:04:20 pm »

Hi
We paid half with PayPal (there is a link on their website) a week before we went and the rest when we arrived in Cusco  but maybe that was only because of the short booking notice, but this is low season and they may want more payment notice when they have competition for places. Wire transfers you have zero recourse if it goes belly up, and credit card companies are working closer with PPal to give customers protection.

I took my MFT gear because I wanted to travel light - Oly EM5 and Panny GX7 with a clutch of lenses from 24 to 200mm FF equivalent and got as wide as I wanted for the classic photos (just). I took a Gorilla pod but did not use it as I was getting shutter speeds of 1/500 and up even at f16 and ISO 400 with a polariser at peak sun, but if you want early morning/late afternoon a tripod may be more important.  I also took ND and ND grads (hardly used) and polariser (essential). Oh, and a infra-red converted GX1 for something different :)

We did not stay in Agua Calientes but stayed at Cusco which got us there for 09.30, so I cannot comment on hotels there but they range from budget to uber-expensive; I take trip advisor with a pinch of salt and look at the nature of negatives as well as the number but I understand your hesitation.

We did not leave and reenter, even for the toilets, but the face value of a ticket is 120 soles (40 USD) which surprised us as lower than we expected. We left at 14.30 which was enough for us on the day, but photography was not our main driver, but if you intend to stay to the death at 17.00 it will be a long day and food/toilet may dictate otherplans.

If you have time after MP I can recommend the Colca Canyon 2nd tour  from Arequipa -fantastic scenery and a chance to see Condors (we saw 11 flying today albeit briefly in less than perfect conditions in a 30min showing).

Let me know if you have any more questions.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 07:06:13 pm by spidermike »

Khurram

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2015, 11:30:21 pm »

Hi
We paid half with PayPal (there is a link on their website) a week before we went and the rest when we arrived in Cusco  but maybe that was only because of the short booking notice, but this is low season and they may want more payment notice when they have competition for places. Wire transfers you have zero recourse if it goes belly up, and credit card companies are working closer with PPal to give customers protection.

I took my MFT gear because I wanted to travel light - Oly EM5 and Panny GX7 with a clutch of lenses from 24 to 200mm FF equivalent and got as wide as I wanted for the classic photos (just). I took a Gorilla pod but did not use it as I was getting shutter speeds of 1/500 and up even at f16 and ISO 400 with a polariser at peak sun, but if you want early morning/late afternoon a tripod may be more important.  I also took ND and ND grads (hardly used) and polariser (essential). Oh, and a infra-red converted GX1 for something different :)

We did not stay in Agua Calientes but stayed at Cusco which got us there for 09.30, so I cannot comment on hotels there but they range from budget to uber-expensive; I take trip advisor with a pinch of salt and look at the nature of negatives as well as the number but I understand your hesitation.

We did not leave and reenter, even for the toilets, but the face value of a ticket is 120 soles (40 USD) which surprised us as lower than we expected. We left at 14.30 which was enough for us on the day, but photography was not our main driver, but if you intend to stay to the death at 17.00 it will be a long day and food/toilet may dictate otherplans.

If you have time after MP I can recommend the Colca Canyon 2nd tour  from Arequipa -fantastic scenery and a chance to see Condors (we saw 11 flying today albeit briefly in less than perfect conditions in a 30min showing).

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Thanks again for sharing your experiences.  I've been debating about taking my ND grads - probably will end up taking them, but I may get a smaller holder for my Lee Wide angle hood, as it takes a lot of room. 

Only one of the companies i'm dealing with takes paypal, so i'll have to figure out whether to take a chance or not.  A few of the companies list their BBB ratings, but not sure how much that helps if there is a problem.
----

spidermike

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2015, 11:46:10 am »

Here are a couple of shots I took to show you the lens coverage you can expect.

The first one is taken from up near the guard's hut on the left as you walk up and it 12mm on MFT (24mm FF eq) - with a 3:2 ratio with the base of the photo wher it is now, the top edge would be a gnat's whisker above the peak of Huyana Picchu in the background. You can gett a wee bit higher and further back but I preferred the foreground from this position
The second shot is from lower down and to the right at 26mm FF eq.

I think your 16-35 will be fine as your widest lens, though I have to say the TS lenses will be tempting for the very grand Hispanic churches that abound and you don't get a whole heap of room to step back and get it all in.

By the way those pictures were taken about 10am and you will see the crowds have not really started -the guide reckoned there were about 2,000 visitors the day we went.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 12:51:10 pm by spidermike »

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2015, 12:14:37 pm »

Very nice pictures.. spidermike...

because of no sun you see the site very clear - how beautiful it is!
2000 visitors a day and everybody wants to have not any tourists on their photos:)
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

spidermike

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2015, 01:02:30 pm »

Thank you Kers.

Here's another shot taken about 2h later looking back up to the place the others were taken from.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2015, 01:48:18 pm »

also very nice ... in a different way :) all those funny tourists everywhere...
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Khurram

« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2015, 11:17:57 pm »

thanks for posting some of your pics - nice shots.  I actually thought there would be a lot more people in the photos.  I hope i get some of those low hanging clouds and some fog on one of my mornings there, but I doubt if i'm going to get that much green in August!

I'm trying to see if a couple of the tour companies i'm dealing with can arrange for a photo permit for me.  I really don't want to take a chance on not being able to take my backpack and tripod.  I sent a photo of my Lowepro Pro Tactic 450AW to a couple of the tour companies and they told me that it would probably draw attention from the staff and guards.
----

Khurram

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2015, 12:26:35 pm »

well for those interested, looks like Machu Picchu photo/tripod permits cost is around $300 USD for two day permits and if you are going to get a tour company to arrange the permits (i.e. complete Spanish applciations and sign and notarize the application - which has to done in person), the addtitional cost is between $60USD to $150USD per permit.    A couple of tour companies refused to complete the applications, as the applicant has to assume liability for any damage to the archeological site.
----

spidermike

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2015, 09:33:57 am »

Sorry for not pointing this out before, but I have only just remembered. There are lockers at the entrance to the site where people can leave excessively large bags etc - so maybe you can put your tripod in your bag and if they spot it you put it in a locker, if they don't spot it you take it in and use it.

If you choose to play safe and complete the application, I guess the question is how likely you are to 'damage the archeological site': I don't recall there being much to damage, because it is all built of bloody big stones.

Khurram

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2015, 09:17:21 pm »

Sorry for not pointing this out before, but I have only just remembered. There are lockers at the entrance to the site where people can leave excessively large bags etc - so maybe you can put your tripod in your bag and if they spot it you put it in a locker, if they don't spot it you take it in and use it.

If you choose to play safe and complete the application, I guess the question is how likely you are to 'damage the archeological site': I don't recall there being much to damage, because it is all built of bloody big stones.

I'm going to play it safe with the permit.  I can't see how i there could be any damage, so far 3 tour operators are willing to sign off, while a few have refused to risk the liability (I can't see how i could cause damage, unless i did something stupid like that photographer at Delicate arch how burned part of the arch, trying to light up the arch for an night shot.

It's really slow getting answers regarding the permit, as well as confirmation and contradictory info regarding getting approval to carry two bags on the train into Aguas Calientes.
----

spidermike

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2015, 04:03:23 am »

I saw some people with quite large bags on the train which I would expect if tourists are overnighting at Aguas Calientes so I would say it is not the problem rumour makes out: then again it is easy to say when I did not face this dilemma. The tricky part is sorting out the 'I heard that..' comments from the 'It happened to me...' factual experience.
Have you tried contacting the rail companies who run the services?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up