Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shipping Odd Size Gallery Wrap  (Read 2524 times)

Mike Guilbault

• Mike Guilbault Photography
Shipping Odd Size Gallery Wrap
« on: February 24, 2015, 10:43:06 am »

I need to ship a gallery wrap that is an odd size - 12 x 68" (1.5" wrap). Can't seem to find any suppliers for boxes any where near that size.  Any suggestions on how to ship something like this?
Mike Guilbault

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
Re: Shipping Odd Size Gallery Wrap
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 12:17:12 pm »

I ship 24 x 60 quite a bit.  In the US, I have a local UPS store that helps me a lot.

I will totally wrap up the print in wax coated Kraft paper, the waxed side facing the print.  I first build up a series of sides that are just bit higher than the print with the protection.  Then I tape these down.  I then cover the face with foam core 3/16 and the back with card board.  On of print of this size I will have 2 strips of support built into the frame so these add protection also in shipping.  The sides being a bit higher I put the foam core on this and them tape it all up.  You have built a box around the print by doing this. 
Then I wrap it in large bubble wrap, and take it to the UPS store I use.  They will build a custom box that fits the print and allows 3 inches of foam peanuts. 

Net is cost a lot do this, but the prints I have shipped get there fine. 

Simply canvas, does a similar thing i.e. a box around the print, inside another box, but their shipping costs are much lower due to volume.   

The key is to protect the face of the print and keep something from punching through from the back where it's open.  On the the back I tend to 2x the cardboard to to make sure.

I get the card board from a local frame shop that throws it out every week.  All Conservation Clear glass ships with 2 excellent pieces of cardboard and this is what I try to get, if not that the sides of a 40 x 60 foam care box, which will also work.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Mark Lindquist

• it’s not about the photos we take - it’s the ones we leave
    • LINDQUIST STUDIOS
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 12:19:54 pm »

Mike,

Save yourself a lot of headache and build a crate for it.  Rip some 3/4" plywood for use as the crate sides.  I recommend 1/2" ply for top and bottom, but you may get away with 1/4" or greater.  Glue and screw the bottom for lateral strength, and only screw the top.

Wrap the piece in bubble wrap and send it off.  Two tips:  Stand crate up, write "DO NOT LAY FLAT", and "FRAGILE" on sides.  Good idea to include some rope handles (coming out of the inside, knotted from within) or some cleats glued and screwed on the outside.  Then write "LIFT HERE" with arrows toward handles.

Costs more, but is much safer.  Nothing is worse that to ship something in cardboard and have it arrive ruined.

In my experience, the crate is best, however built.

-Mark
Mark Lindquist
http://z3200.com, http://MarkLindquistPhotography.com
Lindquist Studios.com

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 06:59:28 pm »

I need to ship a gallery wrap that is an odd size - 12 x 68" (1.5" wrap). Can't seem to find any suppliers for boxes any where near that size.  Any suggestions on how to ship something like this?

Well, you can always use a too big box. You can also go to your local UPS store. They are pretty good at dealing with shipping of odd items. Yes, it will cost you!

na goodman

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2015, 07:45:12 pm »

Here in the US I go to a local UHaul store for odd size boxes. They are cheaper than UPS stores and have odd sizes for things like a mirror, which may work in your case.

jferrari

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2015, 11:16:41 pm »

Here in the US I go to a local UHaul store for odd size boxes. They are cheaper than UPS stores and have odd sizes for things like a mirror, which may work in your case.

No to pick on you, na, but I just wonder about the customer's experience when their recent fine art purchase shows up in a cheap cardboard box. I build custom crates for anything larger than 8" by 10".    - Jim
Nothing changes until something changes.

na goodman

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2015, 11:21:06 pm »

It's just an option. If you're going to use UPS you may as well look at alternatives. Actually, the boxes are made quite well. When I did shows I used some of their odd size boxes for display pieces. They held up well in shipping from show to show.

Mike Guilbault

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2015, 11:51:39 pm »

I checked a few storage places and UPS/shipping stores and none of them had the right size packaging. The UPS store thought they may be able to build-a-box, but as Jim pointed out above, the customer experience would be lacking. Looks like I'll be building a crate, but don't need it yet. The customer is driving up on Thursday to pick it up! ;)
Mike Guilbault

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2015, 03:48:02 am »

Amazon shipped me a 120" x 2" x 12" box.  1 x 2 inch super cheap pine sides, two layers of 6mm coroplast on both top and bottom with air driven staples like canvas staples.  It survived 2000 miles of freight shipping.  Coroplast cuts easily with utility knife.  One school of crating holds that LIGHTER boxes are sometimes safer than heavy boxes for lightweight loads, because if you keep the whole thing light enough it can not be easily damaged by a drop, that's the theory behind the shipping boxes used by some online canvas services.

Another alternative for long boxes is to jam together two shorter boxes, slitting the sides of one so it fits into the other.  You can take that to three boxes if needed.  4" wide tape, oh yeah.

BTW Fedex Ground usually has better rates on oversize packages, which is what you've got there according to UPS dimension weighting rules.

My local UPS store specializes in shipping art and ships a lot of stuff for me without batting an eyelash.  OTOH, another nearby UPS store can barely tie its own shoelaces.  Might be worth calling around.

Mike Guilbault

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2015, 12:14:48 pm »

The coroplast is a great idea Bill.. thanks.
Mike Guilbault

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2015, 01:43:55 pm »

The coroplast is a great idea Bill.. thanks.
Should mention that it was a pita opening that package!  The staples were positioned so I couldn't cut the coroplast against the wood, and I was afraid to cut down other than over the wood. I had to wedge up the staples with a screwdriver.  Would have been much easier if the front and back had been door skins screwed down.  My Gator/Dibond supplier sometimes has mangled aluminum composite panels in the bargain bin, that might work too.  Would make the package heavier but that might not increase the shipping charge since you are already into dimensional weighting charges.
Pages: [1]   Go Up