Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nodal Ninja lens settings for full frame Nikon rail measurements for 50mm lens  (Read 1754 times)

sanfairyanne

Sorry to ask this here rather than on the Nodal Ninja forum, I'm sure a few folks will wonder what the heck is a Nodal Ninja. Well for those that know I have the NN5 L bracket, I'm now using Nikon gear and whilst I have the rail measurements for the 14-24mm lens I wanted to find rail measurements for longer focal lengths, for instance 35mm, 50mm, 70mm, 100mm. Try as I might I can't find anything on the Nodal Ninja Forum.

If anyone can offer rail measurements I would really appreciate it.

Just to clarify, I'm using a full frame Nikon D810 and require the rail measures for 35mm, 50mm, 70mm and 100mm.

Many thanks in advance.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

Sorry to ask this here rather than on the Nodal Ninja forum, I'm sure a few folks will wonder what the heck is a Nodal Ninja. Well for those that know I have the NN5 L bracket, I'm now using Nikon gear and whilst I have the rail measurements for the 14-24mm lens I wanted to find rail measurements for longer focal lengths, for instance 35mm, 50mm, 70mm, 100mm. Try as I might I can't find anything on the Nodal Ninja Forum.

Just to clarify, I'm using a full frame Nikon D810 and require the rail measures for 35mm, 50mm, 70mm and 100mm.

Hi,

I can't help you with the Nodal Nija specific settings, because I use RRS euipment for panos. However, just in case nobody else answers, why not determine them yourself, for the exact lenses and common focus distance you use. It's more important to calibrate your setup for the shorter focus distances you use, because parallax is already less at larger distances anyway.

The entrance pupil position, or No-Parallax Point (NPP), can move if the lens moves the NPP with focusing. Whether it does or not, depends on things like mechanical and optical construction with internal focusing by moving elements/groups.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

vjbelle

Agree with Bart....  You should set your own nodal points for each lens - its very easy.  You can see a video on the RRS site that walks you through the process.

Victor

Paul Gessler

I third the recommendation to find your own. RRS has an article here and a video here.

dwswager

Many thanks in advance.

You might want to try the Nodal Ninja forums for specific guidance as most people here probably use something else.  Since I don't know the Nodal Ninja, check the reference point from where the measurement is made.  What you want to know is the distance from some common reference like the sensor plane or at least the front of lens mount if you will only every use that lens on a single brand.  Then, if you ever change pano setup, you won't have to retest.

It is not that difficult to determine the NPP for a lens (Which unlike RRS and other guidance states is not camera dependent except for the flange to sensor distance which is the same within a particular brand).   It will vary with focal length on a zoom.  Focus distance will also cause variations, though I suspect within the precision of the manual test.  Figure out how you shoot and test it at the focus distance you likely shoot at.
Pages: [1]   Go Up