Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Low pass filter removal A7II  (Read 4196 times)

Jodyg88

Low pass filter removal A7II
« on: February 23, 2015, 05:06:24 pm »

Most online reviews hails the A7R as the landscape camera. I'm a landscape/ night archtecaulal shooter. Long exposure too. I bought the R first and it was a lemon. I returned it for the A7 and went on vacation I needed a Camea. Love the images very much. I get home and the newly MII IS ON THE SHELF. So I treaded it for the newer model. I read some online reviews and I find about this AA filter which blurs the images for Morie. And the A7R has no AA filter so now I think the image are better because it has no AA FILTER.That why I want mine removed so I can have a landscape camera. Will my camera be a 24 mp A7R  if I get the filter removed. So I'm looking online for images comparisons. Any thoughts

I've Seen mega shap images from the A7S  does the Camea have the filter?

Jodyg88

shadowblade

Re: Low pass filter removal A7II
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 06:51:02 pm »

Most online reviews hails the A7R as the landscape camera. I'm a landscape/ night archtecaulal shooter. Long exposure too. I bought the R first and it was a lemon. I returned it for the A7 and went on vacation I needed a Camea. Love the images very much. I get home and the newly MII IS ON THE SHELF. So I treaded it for the newer model. I read some online reviews and I find about this AA filter which blurs the images for Morie. And the A7R has no AA filter so now I think the image are better because it has no AA FILTER.That why I want mine removed so I can have a landscape camera. Will my camera be a 24 mp A7R  if I get the filter removed. So I'm looking online for images comparisons. Any thoughts

Jodyg88

Are you talking about super-sharp at the pixel level, or when viewing the whole print?

Because if it's at the pixel level, it's probably due to the A7s having half the number of pixels and being much less taxing on any lens you put in front of it.

I would assume that a 12MP camera would have an AA filter, otherwise you'd get terrible aliasing artifacts.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
Re: Low pass filter removal A7II
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 01:20:10 am »

Hi,

Yes the A7s has a AA filter and probably a very strong one. The reason that the images look sharp probably depends on a small magnification. You evaluate an image at actual pixels and with smaller pixels you are seeing a smaller part of a much larger image, like comparing a 20" print with a 30" print.

The A7II probably has a single layer AA filter. Jim Kasson published a comparison between the Leica M(240) and the Sony A7 and there was essentially no difference in resolution. If you shoot stopped down to f/11 or so you won't see moiré even without AA filter, but for optimal sharpness you would need f/5.6 or so with really good lenses.

Best regards
Erik

Jodyg88
Erik Kaffehr

Pages: [1]   Go Up