Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Reducing Color Temperature of Tungsten Lights from 3200K to 3000K Without Filter  (Read 891 times)

David Eichler

• San Francisco Architectural and Interior Photographer

I seem to recall that you can achieve this with some Lowel lights by replacing the light's reflector with one that has a slightly warm tint. Is this possible with major brands of fresnel hot lights (Arri, Mole, LTM, etc.)? Or, are there alternative 3000k lamps that can be used in these fixtures?

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art

I bet a web search could yield much info for you.

Peter-

David Eichler

• San Francisco Architectural and Interior Photographer

I bet a web search could yield much info for you.

Peter-

Thanks, Peter. That did already occur to me and I have already searched the Web with not much of a result. So far, the only lamp I can find with a Gy9.5 base that will fit Arri/Lowel that is 3000k and 120 volts is a 600w model. That is at least something, but I would like a range of wattages from 150 to 1,000.

Of course I haven't searched for many hours or days, but why do that if someone already knows?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 07:21:06 pm by David Eichler »

bjanes

I seem to recall that you can achieve this with some Lowel lights by replacing the light's reflector with one that has a slightly warm tint. Is this possible with major brands of fresnel hot lights (Arri, Mole, LTM, etc.)? Or, are there alternative 3000k lamps that can be used in these fixtures?

The color temperature of an incandescent lamp varies with voltage. Why don't you try driving your lamps at a lower voltage? This Wikipedia article discusses some common dimmers. For uniform output in terms of brightness and color temperature it might be necessary to use a voltage regulator if the voltage of your mains varies too much. To assess the color temperature, you would need a color temperature meter.

Bill
Pages: [1]   Go Up