Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 4000P and Canon 5D  (Read 3592 times)

kgv

Epson 4000P and Canon 5D
« on: January 12, 2006, 12:41:47 pm »

Will the Epson 4000P display raw files from the Canon 5D when I shoot raw only
( NOT RAW+JPG!!!) ?
I would like to hear from anyone with FIRST HAND experience with these two tools.

Peter Jon White

Epson 4000P and Canon 5D
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2006, 09:15:05 pm »

Will the Epson 4000P display raw files from the Canon 5D when I shoot raw only
( NOT RAW+JPG!!!) ?
I would like to hear from anyone with FIRST HAND experience with these two tools.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=55851\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes, it will.

The RAW file has a small jpeg file embedded so that you can view it on the LCD on the rear of the camera. That's what the Epson will display. So, just as you can see the image on the rear of the 5D when you're only shooting RAW without a jpeg, you can do the same with the Epson. However, it will be a reduced resolution image as it's only enough for the Canon's LCD.

kgv

Epson 4000P and Canon 5D
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2006, 12:06:02 am »

Yes, it will.

The RAW file has a small jpeg file embedded so that you can view it on the LCD on the rear of the camera. That's what the Epson will display. So, just as you can see the image on the rear of the 5D when you're only shooting RAW without a jpeg, you can do the same with the Epson. However, it will be a reduced resolution image as it's only enough for the Canon's LCD.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=55960\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Peter,
Thank you for your excellent and concise answer.
Actually, I suspected that to be the case.
BUT, I had not thought about the fact that the embedded jpq would deteriorate as it is "enlarged" by the Epson.
So, I guess the best thing to do, if I want to use the Epson in the field for editing,
would be to shoot raw+jpeg. I had not wanted to do that because of larger files & slower writing. Would you think that raw+the-smallest-jpg would be sufficient for field editing on the Epson ? Thanks,Ken

jani

• Øyet
Epson 4000P and Canon 5D
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2006, 07:29:40 am »

Hmm, I was pretty certain that the RAW file thumbnail was 640x480, but that it was a heavily compressed JPEG.

I certainly had problems noticing any difference in details (other than JPEG artifacts) with RAW file preview and JPEG file preview on my P2000.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to dig up any sources for the format here, urgh.
Jan
Pages: [1]   Go Up