Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson or Canon Printer for Fine Art Printing?  (Read 1970 times)

nkpoulsen

Epson or Canon Printer for Fine Art Printing?
« on: February 22, 2015, 01:10:50 pm »

A few years ago, Epson printers was the standard for fine art printing.  Given the wide color gamut and longevity of Epson's Ultrachrome inks, they were hard to beat.

But, I've heard that Canon has developed longer term inks.  What's the current thinking for purchasing a new printer, say, in the 17x22 size?

The other relevant issue for which the Ultrachrome inks are known is clogging, with some models being exceptions from the Epson norm.  For example, I purchased an Epson 3880 and have experienced very little, if any, clogging.

So, if someone's interested in purchasing a printer these days, what should they purchase for fine art printing?

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
Re: Epson or Canon Printer for Fine Art Printing?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2015, 04:24:35 pm »

If you already have an Epson 3880 and are satisfied AND don't print larger than 17 inches wide you don't need to do anything at all.  I haven't looked at Canon printers recently, do they make a 17 inch wide printer?

hugowolf

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2015, 10:28:51 pm »

If you have a 3880, then I wouldn't look any further. The 17" Canon ipf5100 hasn't been updated in quite some time.

Brian A

stockjock

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 04:19:43 am »

I have both the Epson 3880 and a very new Canon iPF8400.  Both are fabulous printers.  But if you are only going to be printing 17x22" or smaller then the Epson 3880 is clearly the printer you should buy.  The Canon's don't handle sheet paper as well as the Epson 3880 does and I have read there are limitations on your minimum border on sheets with the Canon's that would be irksome.  The ink cost on the Canon's will be quite a bit less and some people would argue that the print quality is better than the 3880 though I think it is  a subtle distinction.  The initial cost on the Epson 3880 is much less.  And the 3880 is an amazingly trouble free printer.  I've had mine for over 4 years and printed hundreds of prints but it has also sat for months on end without being used.  It has never given me any trouble.  And the Espon 3880 is big but still able to sit on a desktop or side table.  The Canon printers are huge and relatively noisy.

If you need to print wider than 17" and have low print volumes then the consensus seems to be that the Canon iPFx400 series will give you a lot less trouble than their Epson equivalents.  That and pricing were the main reasons I decided to buy the Canon iPF8400 instead of a large format Epson.  So far no regrets but it is very early days. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up