Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: Peter Lik Declares Himself God  (Read 95100 times)

Colorado David

Re: Peter Lik Declares Himself God
« Reply #100 on: February 26, 2016, 11:06:26 am »

It would be very difficult to estimate how much Mr Lik's work  influences my photography.

;)

Wouldn't it be funny if Peter Lik had registered under an alias and was participating in this discussion?

DanLehman

« Reply #101 on: March 18, 2016, 01:13:17 pm »

The shot is just after getting over the log jam in the stream.
And I will say despite Lik’s flowery description of the circumstances and ...

I got an ok shot of it, one of my better images from last year, but nothing like his ..
At a year's offset to your post, though less tardy to this thread's latest, I'm finding it a bit of a puzzle to put your two (i.e., yours & Lik's) images together as the same place --there are the similar things but then some differences I'm trying to resolve.  IMO, Lik was shooting a significant telephoto way behind your PoV --as evidenced by the small tree in upper-center which in your image is fully visible just BELOW a diagonally sloping (downwards rightwards) fallen tree but in his is seen above it, and another diagonally sloping (single or pair, resp.) tree(s) lie above and much closer in his image.  Yeah, maybe different trees (fallen), though that at the water's surface/bottom looks too much the same.  And in Lik's image, just behind the center falls is a rock wall convex rightwards which I can't find at all in yours --and so guess that you were at it, with a much wider lens!?
That said, on balance, I might favor your shot for the visible rocky creek bottom, the neat curving broad lines of light ON the water, and nice light (light vs. dark) and more color in all the foliage (vs. Lik's more universal green) --w/o disliking Lik's, but I think you got a better shot.

And, frankly, also considering Lik's image, I'm skeptical about his description of conditions --of all this mist & rain : looks a pretty clear/clean air he's in, AND given notes of how things line up and so on, that he might be well above the water?!
Try matching the rock --which is less movable/changing than flora(!  ;D  )--; it's hard to match things unless one puts Lik way back so that much of what he shows was at/behind you (such as the convex-rightward wall center, the large opening/widening w/falls in his right near-ground).  Now, I believe that Gursky, and --in photo-realist painting-- Estes are known to sometimes supplement reality, but ... !?

--dl*
====

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #102 on: March 29, 2016, 05:02:15 pm »

At a year's offset to your post, though less tardy to this thread's latest, I'm finding it a bit of a puzzle to put your two (i.e., yours & Lik's) images together as the same place --there are the similar things but then some differences I'm trying to resolve.  IMO, Lik was shooting a significant telephoto way behind your PoV --as evidenced by the small tree in upper-center which in your image is fully visible just BELOW a diagonally sloping (downwards rightwards) fallen tree but in his is seen above it, and another diagonally sloping (single or pair, resp.) tree(s) lie above and much closer in his image.  Yeah, maybe different trees (fallen), though that at the water's surface/bottom looks too much the same.  And in Lik's image, just behind the center falls is a rock wall convex rightwards which I can't find at all in yours --and so guess that you were at it, with a much wider lens!?
That said, on balance, I might favor your shot for the visible rocky creek bottom, the neat curving broad lines of light ON the water, and nice light (light vs. dark) and more color in all the foliage (vs. Lik's more universal green) --w/o disliking Lik's, but I think you got a better shot.

And, frankly, also considering Lik's image, I'm skeptical about his description of conditions --of all this mist & rain : looks a pretty clear/clean air he's in, AND given notes of how things line up and so on, that he might be well above the water?!
Try matching the rock --which is less movable/changing than flora(!  ;D  )--; it's hard to match things unless one puts Lik way back so that much of what he shows was at/behind you (such as the convex-rightward wall center, the large opening/widening w/falls in his right near-ground).  Now, I believe that Gursky, and --in photo-realist painting-- Estes are known to sometimes supplement reality, but ... !?

--dl*
====
Thanks for the compliment (liking my image better than his).  I’ve seen his image very large, and it’s beautiful.  After being in this location I came away a  little disappointed, while I like my shot I don’t think I caught the emotions I felt  ... what a magnificent and beautiful place.  I’ll certainly be trying it again sometime this year when I head to portland.

The place in the photos isn’t that large.  From directly after you cross the log jam to the large log that crosses the river itself seems like it’s only about 100-150 yds.  from memory it seems the stream itself is only 50-70 feet across.  I was only standing in a few inches of water (that’s why the rocks show), I would estimate looking at Lik’s shot it was 2 or 3 feet deep.  When I was there, there were several large areas that were not under water, and the only spot that was deep at all was where the stream narrowed quite a bit which is behind the log laying across the bottom of the gorge.

Only way he could be above the water would be if he was in a raft, it very well could have been waist deep were he was.  With it flowing this full there are no places to stand, and a couple of areas could get even deeper.  A friend of mine attended a Mark Adamus workshop, and he had shot this location the day before with someone on a private workshop.  They had to carry a raft across the log jam because the stream was too deep to walk through.  Not sure how they shot it ...

As far as matching it up, I’m pretty sure Lik is further upstream, shooting a  much wider lens than I am.  If you notice the rocky area to the left of the light beams that sort of jut out a little bit, you can see this in my shot, but it looks quite small, almost like it isn’t the same thing.  so I’m further back (probably about 75 feet) and shooting a little more telephoto.  But with a place like this, moving a little and changing lens obviously can have a major impact on the results.

for those curious, here’s a shot of me taking that shot (buddy shooting with a 35mm on a Nikon) as well as a shot of the log jam.  You don’t just climb up and over the logjam, it’s about 75 to 100 feet from one end to the other.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #103 on: March 31, 2016, 04:42:18 pm »

IMO, Lik was shooting a significant telephoto way behind your PoV
I must be bored, tired of the bad spring weather, but after reading your post I became a little curious, so ...

My friend and I who was with me went back through our images of this location, and now I’m pretty confident you are right.  Not only was he further away (probably only 100 feet) but my guess is he might have even been standing on the log jam to get additional height.  Here’s a shot my friend took from on top of the log jam.  Looks like Lik’s shot is same distance but several feet further to the left which opened up the canyon a little more for him.  This was shot with at 58mm vertical and 2 shot stitch, so probably 45- 50mm equivalent on a 5DMkIII.  If Lik was shooting MF, he was probably using about an 80mm or so, normal focal length for that format so not much telephoto.  I was using a 70mm on MFDB where I was.  If you crop this image similar to Lik’s everything matches up except the angle looking up the canyon.

Perhaps he was being a little overly descriptive if he indeed took it from on top of the log jam which appears he did.  I’m not sure what the stream was like on the back side of the logs, but I don’t think it’s too challenging even in rainy conditions if you don’t mind getting wet.  The canyon ends at the log jam and the stream spreads out so not nearly as deep.  Base on the two images it looks like the canyon was running with about a foot or more of additional water when Lik took his shot than when this one was taken.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 05:47:32 pm by Wayne Fox »

Mike Sellers

• Mike Sellers Photography
« Reply #104 on: March 31, 2016, 08:34:35 pm »

What camera system does Mr. Lik use?

Colorado David

« Reply #105 on: March 31, 2016, 10:58:39 pm »

He is a Nikon user.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #106 on: April 01, 2016, 01:13:01 am »

Hard to say what he has used for any actual piece as his camera of choice has varied immensely over the years.  I think he defaults to Nikon most of the time now, and he has a special rig of 3 Nikon d800's that shoot three simultaneous shots to capture his panos.

The particular shot in question was most likely captured with a phase one since the d800 had only been out for a couple of months and at that time he shot Phase most of the time. I read somewhere (can't find it) from someone who stumbled onto him last year shooting and he had the phase then.  Could be when he needs to get it in one shot, like the image in this discussion he opts for higher resolution.

For those interested, there is a youtube video showing the background of the shot in oneonta gorge, certainly was a lot of water. Toward the end it shows him waste deep in a section that was only about 6" when I was there.

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #107 on: April 09, 2016, 08:36:23 am »

Very nice image.

E.
I must be bored, tired of the bad spring weather, but after reading your post I became a little curious, so ...

My friend and I who was with me went back through our images of this location, and now I’m pretty confident you are right.  Not only was he further away (probably only 100 feet) but my guess is he might have even been standing on the log jam to get additional height.  Here’s a shot my friend took from on top of the log jam.  Looks like Lik’s shot is same distance but several feet further to the left which opened up the canyon a little more for him.  This was shot with at 58mm vertical and 2 shot stitch, so probably 45- 50mm equivalent on a 5DMkIII.  If Lik was shooting MF, he was probably using about an 80mm or so, normal focal length for that format so not much telephoto.  I was using a 70mm on MFDB where I was.  If you crop this image similar to Lik’s everything matches up except the angle looking up the canyon.

Perhaps he was being a little overly descriptive if he indeed took it from on top of the log jam which appears he did.  I’m not sure what the stream was like on the back side of the logs, but I don’t think it’s too challenging even in rainy conditions if you don’t mind getting wet.  The canyon ends at the log jam and the stream spreads out so not nearly as deep.  Base on the two images it looks like the canyon was running with about a foot or more of additional water when Lik took his shot than when this one was taken.
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Benny Profane

« Reply #108 on: June 04, 2016, 10:35:26 am »

He and Trump could be real buddies.

BrianWJH

« Reply #109 on: June 05, 2016, 02:17:40 am »

I didn't know that Donald Trump was an award winning professional photographer. ::)

Benny Profane

« Reply #110 on: June 05, 2016, 08:50:34 am »

No, but he is a marvelous self promoter.

DanLehman

« Reply #111 on: July 11, 2016, 08:57:35 pm »

I didn't know that Donald Trump was an award winning professional photographer. ::)
Welllll, now that all these new cameras fit smaller hands ...
(Trump University of Photography can give him awards.)

;D

chez

« Reply #112 on: July 12, 2016, 09:13:27 am »

No, but he is a marvelous self promoter.

Which all great business men are and which is why many professional photographers fail by not promoting themselves. Nothing wrong with self promotion.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up