Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 9890 clean nozzle check yet persistent clogged nozzle  (Read 4109 times)

ColinW

Epson 9890 clean nozzle check yet persistent clogged nozzle
« on: February 22, 2015, 01:10:16 am »

This weekend I need to print an 80 piece exhibit -- always comes down to the wire -- and of course my long-time dependable Epson 9890 shows serious trouble.

First print had a very odd zig-zag smudge pattern...  Epson suggested a headstrike (on fairly thin paper..) & to increase platten gap; but they also mentioned that some fibers might have got on the heads. 

I widened the gap and actually got a few good prints out, then the printer was constantly cleaning and warning of clogged nozzles.  Some nozzle checks showed issues but after cleaning subsequent nozzle checks were clean, but the printer still ran auto-cleanings, warned of clogged nozzels, and indeed there is horizontal banding even without high speed.

I learned how to enter maintenance mode and have the wiper reveal itself.  It was gunky though not severely, but there were quite a few clumps of dust and fiber all over that area -- some nearly like steel wool.  I cleared those out & did a few cleanings but the symptoms are the same.  I've even changed black inks just to see if another paper / MK would perform better, but no.

Three days for a service call -- I have to get this show printed in that time.  Thoughts?

And fundamentally -- how can i get clean nozzle checks yet there is clearly an issue the printer is putting down to nozzles??  I hate the thought of even looking at the heads, but can one clean fibers / dust off??  Or does that not seem a likely explanation?

I appreciate suggestions!

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
Re: Epson 9890 clean nozzle check yet persistent clogged nozzle
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2015, 09:33:06 am »

Clean the wiper blade with a swabbit (moistened with warm water) or replace the wiper. Check the capping station. And yes, it's possible to still have a clog/bad print with an apparent good "nozzle check"---rare but seems to happen most with low ink cartridge(s).

ken

Paul Ozzello

• www.paulozzello.com
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 11:32:22 pm »

How are you printing ? I had a strange horizontal banding issue with QTR at 1440 and 720 dpi that disappeared when printing at 2880.

deanwork

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2015, 08:46:05 pm »

I had some pretty major banding problems with my 9890 last week and was seeing normal nozzle check patterns. Cleaning didn't change anything.

I did a head alignment and that didn't change anything. Finally I realized that it must be some kind of a pressure issue.

A couple of my carts were fairly low, but not near empty. I replaced the ink in those carts and my problem was solved.

My feeling is that these more recent Epson printers need a significant amount of pressure in the carts to keep the ink flowing adequately. I never experienced this with my older LF Epsons, but with this printer I"ve seen this twice now.

john

9890novice

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2015, 02:25:13 pm »

I've been having some similar banding issues, only in Cyan and light magenta. Thought it could be a pressure thing, switched out the inks to full ones, but the issue persists.

Printing thru Mirage 2.0
Icc profile is correct.
Platent Gap is standard as well.

Tried a head alignment, no improvement.

Had a few dropped lines in a nozzle check, tried cleaning and failed.

Cleaned the wiper, sponge (both were fairly clean already), and cap area.

I'm thinking that the high cotton content of my stock has created a dust issue/clog somewhere on the head, in an area I can't access?

By the way this is my second head on a three year old machine w/ 1300 prints on it.

I'm replacing the maintenance tanks next. One is nearing capacity, maybe that's the issue with cleaning?

If this doesn't work it's either a install a new print head, or buy a Canon.

Any ideas/theories would be appreciated.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 02:28:29 pm by 9890novice »

JeanMichel

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2015, 04:51:10 pm »

Hi,
Check out this youtube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8NkgKw7mDw

It shows quite nicely how to go about cleaning a 7890 or 9890.

Jean-Michel

9890novice

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2015, 05:03:57 pm »

Thanks.
Yes, I've followed that video this morning, same results unfortunately.
Pages: [1]   Go Up