Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Recommendations for raw converter for Pentax 645z?  (Read 7163 times)

the_ether

Recommendations for raw converter for Pentax 645z?
« on: February 20, 2015, 12:54:48 pm »

Any advice on this subject would be greatly appreciated. I was thinking of getting the Photo Ninja software as I could also use it with my Fujifilm X-E1.

I use Windows 7 and will be taking possession of a 645Z and an FA 45-85mm lens in a week or two.

Gel

Re: Recommendations for raw converter for Pentax 645z?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2015, 01:17:42 pm »

Lightroom is the best. Version 6 is out in a week or two.

ndevlin

• Follow me on Twitter
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 04:33:33 pm »

LR with the Huelight profiles.

I anticipate that the forthcoming LR6 release will have the improved V2 645z profile, which (unlike the original) is actually usable.  Huelight still offers more variety and stronger colour on some scenes, so it's a worthwhile and small spend.

- N.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 10:09:10 am by ndevlin »
Nick Devlin   @onelittlecamera        ww

Constable

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2015, 01:45:50 am »

Photo Ninja does not work I am afraid. The hacks for Capture One work but the lack of profiles make them useless for anything except tethering. Silky pix distributed by Ricoh is not great.

LR works for me ... I use the Huelight profile as a starting point.

It would not hurt to add another request to DXOnfor support.

Ed

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2015, 04:35:31 pm »

How does it work with C1?  I would prefer this as I notice a difference in detail that C1 achieves over LR

The 645z has caught my interest as a possible next upgrade. Something for the product studio and for location, and maybe even travel hikes that allow bulk.
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2015, 04:56:36 pm »

Capture One supports all major 35mm cameras.

The only medium format solutions supported by Capture One are Team Phase One backs. The 645z therefore is not supported.

I do not expect this will change as it's been the policy for over a decade.

hsteeves

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2015, 05:10:04 pm »

yes, C1 kind of runs scared that way ... ::)

Constable

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2015, 05:38:17 pm »

ndevlin

• Follow me on Twitter
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2015, 10:51:02 am »

C1 does not provide a superior conversion of 645z files in any respect.  Unless you cannot deal with using LR, there is really no reason to bother.  If I chose to shoot with a Phase back, I would be using C1. That's what works best. 

Conversely, shooting with the 645z entails using LR. Deal with it or use a different camera.  I've always intensely disliked C1, so it makes me disinclined to use Phase gear.  Don't waste a lot of mental/creative energy trying to train your cat to be a dog...

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2015, 10:59:01 am »

I've always intensely disliked C1, so it makes me disinclined to use Phase gear.  Don't waste a lot of mental/creative energy trying to train your cat to be a dog...
maybe someone should have told the phone operator O2.  ;D

Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2015, 02:36:12 pm »

C1 does not provide a superior conversion of 645z files in any respect.  Unless you cannot deal with using LR, there is really no reason to bother.  If I chose to shoot with a Phase back, I would be using C1. That's what works best. 

Conversely, shooting with the 645z entails using LR. Deal with it or use a different camera.  I've always intensely disliked C1, so it makes me disinclined to use Phase gear.  Don't waste a lot of mental/creative energy trying to train your cat to be a dog...

I agree with you completely about C1 and its usage.
It has taken me some time to get used to it where I now don't curse at it. Now I just do what I need in it, which is process the files with no layers, no other hoopla. Just expose, color, details structure shadows, lens, all that stuff. I export into my LR catalog, and use the 16bit TIF to do any overlay edits to the file. So i simply use it to capture and process, which I think is the strong point. All else for my needs is "bloatware"(of course thats just my needs :-)

Regardless,  I see that it can get finer details from the Phase files. Now that maybe just for PhaseOne MF back files, as that is my experience. It very noticeably better resolves than the LR on Phase files.
Shooting with DSLR, I don't look for this level of critical detail so I stay with LR.

If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2015, 04:08:31 pm »

It's really a pity C1 Pro doesn't support the 645Z, but it is a fact that can't be worked around.

The key values of C1 Pro remain the quality of the colors, demoisaicing - especially for AA filter less sensors - and how natural the shadow/highlights tuning looks.

What's ironic is that the non support of the 645Z is indeed one of the reasons why I am not seriously considering the Z, but it doesn't make me want to buy a Phaseone back more. This close minded approach just hurts MF as a market IMHO.

Cheers,
Bernard

Ken R

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2015, 06:38:51 am »

C1 does not provide a superior conversion of 645z files in any respect.  Unless you cannot deal with using LR, there is really no reason to bother.  If I chose to shoot with a Phase back, I would be using C1. That's what works best.  

Conversely, shooting with the 645z entails using LR. Deal with it or use a different camera.  I've always intensely disliked C1, so it makes me disinclined to use Phase gear.  Don't waste a lot of mental/creative energy trying to train your cat to be a dog...

Yeah.

C1 was the first Raw converter I ever used (back in the day with the Fuji S2pro, Canon 10d and 1D2) and a few years ago I started using it again when I got my Phase Back and it has improved tremendously (in features, conversions have always had excellent quality). In between I have been using Lightroom and have become quite proficient using it and really enjoy using it not only for adjusting images but for file management as well.

PhaseOne has clearly stated that CaptureOne does not and will not support other medium format digital solutions. So I would just accept that fact and use Lightroom if C1 does not support your camera.

I find Lightroom a really capable and worthy tool so unless the lightroom / ps 645Z profiles are horrible (something that if so, can be fixed) I do not see an issue using LR for manipulating and converting 645Z raw files.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 07:08:05 am by Ken R »

Ken R

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2015, 06:41:10 am »

What's ironic is that the non support of the 645Z is indeed one of the reasons why I am not seriously considering the Z, but it doesn't make me want to buy a Phaseone back more. This close minded approach just hurts MF as a market IMHO.

Cheers,
Bernard

Bernard, Is it a 100% issue of price? I mean, If the IQ250 cost $15,000 would you consider buying it?

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2015, 07:25:28 am »

I don't know about Bernard but I would in a heartbeat.

As in 15K list. No trade in to get to 15K

Paul

Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

synn

• My fine art portfolio
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2015, 09:01:43 am »

For every camera I have used that is supported by C1 and LR, C1 delivers the better output for my taste. I have stopped using LR for more than a year now and I have no intentions to go back.

But yeah, for Pentax 645Z users, you're SOL when it comes to C1. Maybe try Irridient Developer if you're not keen on LR. I've only heard good things about it.
my portfolio: www.sandeepmurali.com

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2015, 09:21:30 am »

Bernard, Is it a 100% issue of price? I mean, If the IQ250 cost $15,000 would you consider buying it?

No, you are right, it is not really only an issue of price. It is also an issue of perceived value in terms of image quality vs "experience complexity" trade off.

At 15,000 US$ I would certainly not seriously consider buying today. Perhaps in one year from now. But then again, to my eyes, although the Sony chip has definitely changed the game thanks to live view, it is hardly MF in terms of size and 50mp is insignificant compared to 36mp when stitching is taken into account.

35mm lenses such as the Otus are superior mostly in terms of look and quality to most SLR Medium format lenses, which leaves technical cameras and Roddy/Schneider lenses. The new Cambo camera makes them reasonably affordable, so things are definitely getting much closer to being really appealing.

But I'll give it another generation. ;)

Cheers,
Bernard

torger

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2015, 10:40:43 am »

It's really a lot about camera profiles. It's a pity that us photographers has not yet grabbed control over our own profiles, but instead choose camera systems largely based on how the manufacturers default profiles are. 10% of the look is the camera hardware, 90% sits in the profile.

It's still a software problem though, there's not much software out there that makes it easy to roll your own subjectively tuned camera profile. Making profiles for reproduction work is pretty simple and straight-forward, but making one for all-around use is harder...

It's great that huelight provides an alternative to the often dreadful Adobe Standard profiles.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 10:42:37 am by torger »

Ken R

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2015, 01:05:04 pm »

It's really a lot about camera profiles. It's a pity that us photographers has not yet grabbed control over our own profiles, but instead choose camera systems largely based on how the manufacturers default profiles are. 10% of the look is the camera hardware, 90% sits in the profile.

It's still a software problem though, there's not much software out there that makes it easy to roll your own subjectively tuned camera profile. Making profiles for reproduction work is pretty simple and straight-forward, but making one for all-around use is harder...

It's great that huelight provides an alternative to the often dreadful Adobe Standard profiles.

So why aren't Camera Profiles sold / marketed as let's say PS Plug-Ins?

ndevlin

• Follow me on Twitter
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2015, 01:51:20 pm »

Some are. Like the Huelight ones for Pentax referred to in this thread.  They're cheap, too, and quite good.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up