Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: hitachi 4 mg vs sandisk?  (Read 4248 times)

spphoto

hitachi 4 mg vs sandisk?
« on: January 11, 2006, 06:01:35 pm »

The hitachi is sooo much cheaper than the sandisk.  What's the tradeoff, I assume there is one, right?

thanks in advance!

sp

jani

• Øyet
hitachi 4 mg vs sandisk?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2006, 06:28:46 pm »

You're more than a bit short on information about the products you want to compare.

Do you have any links or specifics?

The only Hitachi 4 GB (I assume this is what you meant by "mg") product I'm aware of is the 4 GB microdrive. That's a Compact Flash format harddisk.

Sandisk, on the other hand, doesn't have a 4 GB harddisk, but use flash memory for their Compact Flash products.

If you shake your microdrive, you'll probably destroy it, but not so with flash memory; there's your difference.

Possibly.  If this is what you were asking about.
Jan

spphoto

hitachi 4 mg vs sandisk?
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2006, 07:08:13 pm »

You're more than a bit short on information about the products you want to compare.

Do you have any links or specifics?

The only Hitachi 4 GB (I assume this is what you meant by "mg") product I'm aware of is the 4 GB microdrive. That's a Compact Flash format harddisk.

Sandisk, on the other hand, doesn't have a 4 GB harddisk, but use flash memory for their Compact Flash products.

If you shake your microdrive, you'll probably destroy it, but not so with flash memory; there's your difference.

Possibly.  If this is what you were asking about.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=55789\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Yes jani, I actually meant the 4GB microdrive vs a 2 GB cf sandisk card.  the hitachi is  a bit less (after rebate from bh) than the 2 gig sandisk! so your saying the only difference is the fragle nature of the microdrive?  how much of a concern is this?

is it something most people aviod in spite of it's inexpensive cost?

thnax

michael

hitachi 4 mg vs sandisk?
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2006, 07:16:51 pm »

If you shake your microdrive, you'll probably destroy it,
Absolute nonsense.

Michael
« Last Edit: January 11, 2006, 07:17:25 pm by michael »

spphoto

hitachi 4 mg vs sandisk?
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2006, 07:28:17 pm »

here:http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=7-6395-6476-6480

it says:

The Microdrive line has had only a so-so reliability reputation among professional digital photographers. This perception has developed for a variety of reasons, including:

* The Microdrive's CompactFlash Type II-size aluminum and stainless steel enclosure contains a somewhat-fragile 1-inch hard drive. Its single glass platter, head, arm and other delicate parts, no matter how well-designed, can't compete with flash memory-based CompactFlash cards for durability, since the latter have no mechanical components. This is true in theory and in practice too, as you'll know if you've ever dropped an earlier generation of Microdrive onto a hard surface or squeezed it too hard pulling it out of a card reader. In both instances the results can be fatal. By comparison, a CompactFlash card containing flash memory will usually be unphased by all but the most significant mishandling. A Microdrive, when used within the durability limits of its design, is likely to be quite reliable. Pushed beyond its limits, however, and it's equally likely to stop working.

61Dynamic

• http://
hitachi 4 mg vs sandisk?
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2006, 07:46:06 pm »

The fragility of the Microdrive (MD) cards is a bit over-hyped. It is a hard drive with moving parts and could be busted with enough of a hit. If you plan on shooting in a rough environment or plan on playing football with your CF cards, then the MD is not for you.

I have a 4GB drive myself and have had no issues with it. I've dropped it a couple times too from about chest hight onto carpet. If the fall was onto cement, the drive would probably be a goner but shaking and "standard" use is not going to bust it.

Anyway, another thing to consider is performance. A MD is quite a bit slower than a good flash card in older cameras. If you are using a 10D/300D or older, and shooting raw, the MD is defiantly should be avoided IMHO. My 300D will actually crash and restart if I shoot too many frames consecutively in raw. The 10D, being fairly much the same camera is the same.

spphoto

hitachi 4 mg vs sandisk?
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2006, 10:48:15 pm »

Anyway, another thing to consider is performance. A MD is quite a bit slower than a good flash card in older cameras. If you are using a 10D/300D or older, and shooting raw, the MD is defiantly should be avoided IMHO. My 300D will actually crash and restart if I shoot too many frames consecutively in raw. The 10D, being fairly much the same camera is the same.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=55796\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
thanx, how slow is it with a 20D?

61Dynamic

hitachi 4 mg vs sandisk?
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2006, 01:27:38 am »

Not very slow at all. You won't notice a useable difference between a MD and a regular flash card unless you regularly shoot in burst mode and fill the buffer up alot.

francois

hitachi 4 mg vs sandisk?
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2006, 09:23:31 am »

thanx, how slow is it with a 20D?
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
You can see performance of different CF cards [a href=\"http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007-7303]here[/url].
Francois

BlasR

• http://BMRWorldPhotos.com
hitachi 4 mg vs sandisk?
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2006, 10:36:33 am »

I had a miclodrive, in I droped it in water all photos going I called the vender tell me to bad.  Miclodrive was going for good.. I have four GB 80x Lexar , to bad they are no go..the 80x maybe is 20 x.  I have magicstor 2.2 gb I pay $ 59.00
you got what you pay for and  I have two Transcend 45x 1 gb each , the best I have ,maybe for 2 years now and not problem at all.

BlasR
BlasR
  [url=http://www.BMRWORLDPHOTOS.CO

bob mccarthy

hitachi 4 mg vs sandisk?
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2006, 10:47:33 am »

I only use microdrives anymore. I'm not a sports 8 frames/sec shooter so I can't tell any difference between CF - solid state vs. CF - Microdrive. The camera buffer is more than large enough that card speed doesn't come into play - ever!

When its in the camera, it's practically indestructable

When its in the computer, it's practically indestructable

When its in the storage case, it's practically indestructable

I'm careful when changing locations. I haven't lost/broken one......ever

If you're using the newer high mpxl camera you'll really appreciate the larger storage devices.

Bob

spphoto

hitachi 4 mg vs sandisk?
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2006, 09:52:41 am »

Thanx to Micheal and everyone else for their input.  I guess the fragility issue

1.  Is overrated

2.  Caused a lot of misunderstanding

I don't think I'd every use it in such a way that would risk breaking  it.  I'm pretty sure I have my mind made up that I'm gonna get one.

sp
Pages: [1]   Go Up