Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Packing stuff for the Antarctic trip  (Read 8667 times)

framah

Packing stuff for the Antarctic trip
« on: January 11, 2006, 01:51:57 pm »

Now that we have a bunch of experienced Antarctic travelers that have returned and having just finished Jeff's posting about his trip  (great photos, by the way, Jeff!!)  I have a question...

Knowing how crazy the airlines are about  carry ons and size limits and such, how did you all get your stuff down there?? It would be interesting to know which airlines were the best or the worst to fly with. I'm planning on doing an Africa Safari this Sept and this info would surely help me and any one else who might be doing a major trip such as this.

Any info from Africa travelers would be nice, also.

thanks for any input!!  
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

matt4626

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2006, 04:32:42 pm »

Good question. I am hoping for the same info. Anyone?

michael

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2006, 06:34:41 pm »

Airlines can be arbitrary. Some days they'll stop you from carrying on a bag that on another day they'll allow.

My approach is to pack all of my delicate and expensive gear (bodies and lenses) in a backpack style bag that is legal carry-on size. I then put my laptop and other such items in a briecase (the kind that has a handle and wheels). This then qualifies as your one carry-on bag and one "person item".

The real issue as long as the backpack fits in the overhead template is weight. It's unlikely that you'll be under the weight allowance. The trick is to keep the bag in your back and don't "look" as if it's heavy. Slumping in line is a sure give-away.

If they ask you to check it, you'll have little choice. Have cable ties at the ready so you can seal the bag's zippers against pilferage. The TSA will replace them if they have to open the bag. If your travels don't take you in or out of the US you can use padlocks.

I often travel wearing a shooting vest. If I'm required to check my carry-on packpack I remove as much as possible and put it in the vest's pokets. The largest and heaviest camera body and lens go over my shoulder and as much else goes in the pockets. This usually works to get the weight down below their limit, and then once you're away from the check in simply put everything back in the bag if you wish.

All the rest, battery chargers, cables, tripod etc go in my checked luggage. I always fly to an important location a day early, partially to recover from jet lag, and also to allow for lost or delayed luggage. An Antarctic cruise ship won't wait for you.

Michael

framah

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2006, 11:11:24 am »

I know that in the US, the weight limit for carry on is 40 lbs and a certain LWH size combo. I have a Porter case that is the legal size limit and I can get it down to 40 lbs but what about heading overseas?  I hear British Airways has an 11 lb limit.  I think the case alone weighs that much!!  There is no slumping when in line with it as it is a hard case with wheels.

A great case I might add! It has a handle that flips 90 degrees out  from the case so  the case can have other things loaded on to it and wheeled around. I just bungy strap the extra luggage to the handles and off I  go.

So far I have only traveled to Churchill in Canada out of the US and the only thing I had to do was valet check it as I boarded.

I really like the idea of arriving a day early! Thanks!

So the best bet is to have the ability to wear as much equipment as you can if the need arises!!
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

jani

• Øyet
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2006, 11:48:22 am »

I know that in the US, the weight limit for carry on is 40 lbs and a certain LWH size combo. I have a Porter case that is the legal size limit and I can get it down to 40 lbs but what about heading overseas?  I hear British Airways has an 11 lb limit.  I think the case alone weighs that much!!  There is no slumping when in line with it as it is a hard case with wheels.
British Airways Cabin bag allowances

As you can see, it varies with what class you're on.
Jan

matt4626

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2006, 05:04:46 pm »

Another Africa question.(I'm going in Sept. too.) How easy is it to fill bean bags once you arrive?  I have no idea if we'll will be near any place to buy beans, rice, etc.

framah

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2006, 03:16:22 pm »

Maybe you could fill it with leaves or grass. Packed full enough, it should work.

Or even your socks packed in it should work!!    Think about it, where else are you going to put all of your dirty clothes??

Horatio

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2007, 12:46:41 pm »

British Airways Cabin bag allowances

As you can see, it varies with what class you're on.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=55843\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Going to the provided link states that you must be able to lift your carry on unaided into the baggage compartment.
My bag meets the dimensions but weighs 17 pounds with 2 cameras and and lenses.
It is a shoulder bag, do you think I would have a problem flying out of Britain/
Many thanks to recent flyers who may have experienced this with BA.
[url=http://www.vanishingculturesphotogr

thewanderer

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2007, 11:45:35 pm »

i was lucky to have gone on the first trip sponsored here,,,and i have done other trips here and there.  But if have figured since, that for a trip of that magnitude,,where you are spending what,5-10k,,and maybe your one and only shot at it,,dont let a couple hundred bucks of luggage fees prevent you from taking all that you need..Except in a few cases, whatever i have decded to leave at home,,,is what needed,,,just anther thought,,,,

mahleu

• 500px
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2007, 10:20:24 am »

Another Africa question.(I'm going in Sept. too.) How easy is it to fill bean bags once you arrive?  I have no idea if we'll will be near any place to buy beans, rice, etc.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=55876\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Pretty much wherever you go (you don't say) you'll be able to easily get rice, lentils, beans, proper beanbag filling, etc. Where are you going?

francois

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2007, 11:15:22 am »

Going to the provided link states that you must be able to lift your carry on unaided into the baggage compartment.
My bag meets the dimensions but weighs 17 pounds with 2 cameras and and lenses.
It is a shoulder bag, do you think I would have a problem flying out of Britain/
Many thanks to recent flyers who may have experienced this with BA.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=109882\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
FWIW, my carry-on has been weighted the last couple of times in London (with BA). It happened just before boarding.  
On the other hand, EasyJet has no limit with carry-on pieces provided they fit within the size limits.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2007, 11:19:03 am by francois »
Francois

howiesmith

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2007, 05:00:17 pm »

The real issue as long as the backpack fits in the overhead template is weight. It's unlikely that you'll be under the weight allowance. The trick is to keep the bag in your back and don't "look" as if it's heavy. Slumping in line is a sure give-away.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=55790\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Who are the rules for?  Who should follow them?  Do you have a trick for smoking in the bathroom?

michael

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2007, 07:05:55 pm »

Howie,

Airline carry-on rules are arbitrary, and arbitrariliy enforced. If they made sense they would be easier to adhered to, but they rarely do.

Michael

Ps: Please – no debates about arbitrary morality. Been there, done that, have the t-shirt.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2007, 07:06:49 pm by michael »

mahleu

• 500px
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2007, 11:03:22 am »

Aircraft weight and balance is a critical thing. However you'll notice that airlines don't weigh each passenger and you'll always end up next to someone who is large enough to  need 2 seats. Add this to the fact that children don't weigh much and some people don't take on much luggage and you begin to see how the rules can sometimes seem  a bit silly considering the variables involved. Some airlines such as SAA will give you 10kg more luggage if you're a member of their frequent flyer program. Business class also gets 10 more, and 1st 20.

howiesmith

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2007, 11:43:00 am »

Aircraft weight and balance is a critical thing. However you'll notice that airlines don't weigh each passenger and you'll always end up next to someone who is large enough to  need 2 seats. Add this to the fact that children don't weigh much and some people don't take on much luggage and you begin to see how the rules can sometimes seem  a bit silly considering the variables involved. Some airlines such as SAA will give you 10kg more luggage if you're a member of their frequent flyer program. Business class also gets 10 more, and 1st 20.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=110228\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

All probably true and good points.  The planes ability to fly is not my point.  The real problem may be that say 200 people carry on extra weight.  There could be an extra ton, ton and a half, two tons (who knows) in the overhead bins.  Will all that stay put?

More important is the attitude with rules, regulations and laws.  If I don't understand or agree, then it is OK for me to break the rules.  The point is we don't know why these "arbitary" rules are in place, arbitrarily enforced, or the effect of arbitrarily breaking those rules.  I suppose they could be simply to make travel harder for photographers.

lbergman

« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2007, 01:00:38 pm »

Now that we have a bunch of experienced Antarctic travelers that have returned and having just finished Jeff's posting about his trip  (great photos, by the way, Jeff!!)  I have a question...

Knowing how crazy the airlines are about  carry ons and size limits and such, how did you all get your stuff down there?? It would be interesting to know which airlines were the best or the worst to fly with. I'm planning on doing an Africa Safari this Sept and this info would surely help me and any one else who might be doing a major trip such as this.

Any info from Africa travelers would be nice, also.

thanks for any input!!  
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=55756\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Just went to Africa with Andy Biggs a couple months ago.  Basically, I took a LowePro Phototrekker (classic, since it weighs the least) and a large duffel.  I packed everything I would need for one day (and of high value) in the Phototrekker in case my duffel got lost. This included both SLR camera bodies, a point-and-shoot body, all four lenses, both teleconverters, Epson P-2000 & laptop, filters, CF cards, flash, Better Beamer, couple small pre-filled light-weight bean bags, snacks (for the flight and layovers) and one change of clothes.  Anything that wasn't absolutely needed for the first day went in the duffel, like tripod, chargers, spare batteries, L-brackets, cords, plug adapters, etc. Even then, the backpack still weighed around 30-35lbs (I think).  Flew both Northwest and KLM, and no one even batted an eyelash at me carrying the backpack on (but then I put at least a little effort into not making it look too heavy   ).

Next time I go, I'd not bring a tripod (well, maybe).  I'd also leave the fourth lens (a 50mm) and beanbags behind (since Andy had some pre-filled bags waiting for us; if it wasn't for those, I would have used the ones I brought).  Another change would be to ditch the laptop and bring a second P-2000/3000/4000/5000. That would save a lot of weight and space right there.    Bringing a third (small) body in order to avoid any lens changes is also high on my list - not so much to protect against dust, but to avoid having to waste time changing lenses in situations where time was of the essence.

On the Epson P-5000 one, although the lack of any image recovery software would worry me some - and I did have to use it for someone during the trip (images shot with a 1DsMk2 no less  ) - I'm also hoping Epson will put such software on their next generation P-5000. (I've already put a bug in their ear that I think it would be a good feature to include.)
Pages: [1]   Go Up