Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Small Mediterranean lighthouse  (Read 1215 times)

cesccosta

Small Mediterranean lighthouse
« on: February 18, 2015, 02:07:18 pm »

I've time watching this forum, and this is the first time I get a photo . Thanks in advance for the feedbacks!

d810 85mm 1.4@8.0 1/160 ISO 64

Location: https://www.flickr.com/photos/cesccosta/map?&fLat=41.2483&fLon=1.8969&zl=16&order_by=recent

(I have included the modification suggested by tlm)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 04:22:22 pm by cesccosta »

tlm

Re: Small Mediterranean lighthouse
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2015, 02:33:34 pm »

hi
the framing seems too tight and constrained
would be better maybe @ 50mm on a 4:3 or even 1:1 crop

cesccosta

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2015, 04:02:13 pm »

Great idea !, thanks!
Much more balanced . The triangle rocks tension has been removed and is much lighter and smoother.

I'll try anyway , tomorrow , repeat the image from that point of view, with a 50mm instead of 85 .

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2015, 10:24:47 pm »

I like the repeated lines, the capture of the wave, and the contrasting tones. Welcome!

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2015, 06:38:10 am »

Nice dynamics in the image, with interesting light and composition. The wave was caught at the right moment.

cesccosta

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2015, 09:27:30 am »

Thanks Paulo!
Yes, I waited for the right time to create all the diagonal with the wave time.
I also looked this composition, a little tense, and I think the contrast helps in that final dynamism

cesccosta

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2015, 09:32:14 am »

Thanks for the welcome!
I am glad that you like, and you you've noticed the rhythm of the lines.
I am very happy to be able to post in this forum, thanks again!

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2015, 10:52:18 am »

Sorry, to rain on the parade, but I don't think either image is terribly evocative. I don't feel the foreground adds anything to the what I, as an objective observer, perceive the idea of this photograph to be. As background to my thinking, I am a foreground person in that I find landscapes (or seascapes in this context) typically benefit from having an anchor. But I don't believe that to be the case here. The foreground makes the lighthouse seem far away.

To me, the photograph speaks of this tiny lighthouse set against the immensity of the ocean/sea. To convey this, I would get physically lower on the rocks and tilt upwards, eliminating the foreground, and placing the curve of the spit along the bottom ⅓ to ¼ of the photo, allowing the sky and sea to fill the negative space. If you have a composition like this, please post.

Also, clone out the buoy to the left of the lighthouse - it may convey some sense of place, but, to someone like me who has never been there, it seems distracting.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

cesccosta

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2015, 07:47:36 am »

Thanks Terry for such a detailed description of the feeling of the image.
I have always believed that the landscape is the hardest mode of transmitting ideas, feelings, beyond the photograph itself.

If street photography is the great school for photographer, landscape it is for the great observer, and shooting, only the final part, after carefully analyzing the space and decide when shooting is performed, which it may be hours or even days later.

Fortunately or not, my country is a country of small landscapes, small places, small details. This photograph is the result of a Sunday stroll, and in this case did not realize, is true, the analysis necessary or communicate what he meant, I simply shoot with the best possible composition.

I will return to the same place to learn everything you tell me, and perform this analysis, then return the result here.

Thanks again Terry, for your wise words!

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2015, 11:39:22 am »

To me, the photograph speaks of this tiny lighthouse set against the immensity of the ocean/sea. To convey this, I would get physically lower on the rocks and tilt upwards, eliminating the foreground, and placing the curve of the spit along the bottom ⅓ to ¼ of the photo, allowing the sky and sea to fill the negative space.

I like this suggestion. You can get close to it by cropping. If you stay high with a longer focal length, you will retain that nice curve in the peninsula.

cesccosta

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2015, 12:53:04 pm »

Yes, the curve in the pensinsula is very attractive. I think, in order to sacrifice the curve, if I descend to the water limit,  the point of view, the light refexion of the tighthouse, she can create a more attractive line over the sea.
And with more sky, is possibly a good contraposition.

Anyway, the next time I go to the lighthouse, I'll try to cover all points of view, I think all your suggestions are very attractive to win in poetry at this location.
Pages: [1]   Go Up