Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Website - minor snags  (Read 3807 times)

Dan Glynhampton

New Website - minor snags
« on: February 18, 2015, 02:55:52 am »

Kevin/Michael/Chris

Congratulations on the new website, overall the design looks clean and interesting.

I've spotted a couple of minor snags which I've not seen reported elsewhere, but apologies if they are already on your list...

• If I view the home page in landscape orientation on my iPad (iPad Air, ios 8.1.3) there's a menu bar across the top (Home, About, Articles...) which has a search box at the right hand side. When I rotate to portrait mode the page very nicely reformats, but the search box goes missing.  Can the search box please be added to the portrait orientation?
  • I don't think the "Related Articles" box is fully working. Most articles that I pull up have the same five articles list irrespective of the article's topic. For example if I search for "sigma", several sigma camera reviews are listed. If I (for example) view the Sigma DP2M Review I'd expect to see other Sigma reviews in the Related Articles Box, but what I see is

Digital Exposure
       April 25, 2002 By Michael Reichmann

Digital Zone System
       August 22, 2014 By Christopher Schneiter

Expose Right
       July 31, 2003 By Michael Reichmann

Determining Exposure
       October 17, 2013 By Alain Briot

Optimizing Exposure
       July 31, 2011 By Michael Reichmann

Those same five articles seem to be in the Related Articles box on most, but not all pages.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 03:01:03 am by Dan Glynhampton »

Dave Millier

• Whispering Cat Photography
Re: New Website - minor snags
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 06:30:36 pm »

Another:  I'm seeing the author's bio box twice on articles: one at bottom of the page at the end of the article and again at the top in the sidebar.
My website and photo galleries: http://w

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 07:44:03 pm »

Thanks for the post . . .

We'll look into the portrait orientation search box on iPad. 

As far as related article links go it is like this.  On every new article we do a listing for related articles that are related to the article or we feel would be of interest.  We have a set of related articles which are defaults as they appear on the home page.  If an article doesn't have related articles listed then the default is shown.  We change the defaults one a week. We put new ones up today.   As we go through the system to clean up old articles and such we are then attaching related articles.

We have a number of small little things that we are addressing and over the next few weeks will be fixed.  Some you amy notice and others maybe not. 

If you see something wrong don't hesitate to send us a note on it.

Kevin Raber
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 08:47:59 am »

When I first navigate to the home page, I very briefly see a different image, which shows for about 1/2 second and is then replaced by the "proper" home page image. I don't expect this is intentional.

Dan Glynhampton

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2015, 12:56:44 pm »

As far as related article links go it is like this.  On every new article we do a listing for related articles that are related to the article or we feel would be of interest.  We have a set of related articles which are defaults as they appear on the home page.  If an article doesn't have related articles listed then the default is shown.  We change the defaults one a week. We put new ones up today.   As we go through the system to clean up old articles and such we are then attaching related articles

Thanks for clarifying how the related articles list is created Kevin, as it's a manual process when you create an article the behaviour I'm seeing makes sense. I like the idea that you'll change the default list weekly though, that should highlight some interesting articles that might not otherwise come to the fore.

Dan

ned

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2015, 04:15:02 pm »

Yep, this really bugs me. So much so that I really don't like visiting the page.

When I first navigate to the home page, I very briefly see a different image, which shows for about 1/2 second and is then replaced by the "proper" home page image. I don't expect this is intentional.

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2015, 04:40:37 pm »

I am not seeing what you are describing when landing on the home page.  Please describe, OS and browser you are experiencing this on.  The page load very fast on my system and I don't see any image pop up.  We tried it on several machines here.  Your feedback will be valuable to understanding what you are experiencing.

Kevin Raber
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

Jonathan Cross

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2015, 05:03:08 pm »

Hi.  On loading Luminous Landscape I get a brief flash of an image where the top most image is, though smaller than the main image.  The flash lasts about 0.1 or 0.2 seconds.  I am running IE 11 with Windows 7 on an Intel i7 PC.  It is not something that concerns me at all. It pales into insignificance compared to what happens with other websites.  The new website works well for me, so congratulations.

Jonathan

Jonathan in UK

Dan Glynhampton

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2015, 05:11:08 pm »

I am not seeing what you are describing when landing on the home page.  Please describe, OS and browser you are experiencing this on.  The page load very fast on my system and I don't see any image pop up.  We tried it on several machines here.  Your feedback will be valuable to understanding what you are experiencing.

Kevin Raber

I think I can see what Peter means. When the page is first drawn the "carousel" of images doesn't appear immediately, so the image from the first featured article is near the top of the screen. The carousel then appears a fraction of a second later, seeming to replace the first image as it is pushed down the screen. I managed to take a screenshot on my iPad of the page as it first displays, which is attached. The second attachment is of the page when it has finished drawing a moment later.

ned

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2015, 06:08:45 pm »

Here's a short video that shows it. About the 2 second mark, the image switches to the silos then I hit refresh. You see the first image and then it's replaced by the second as the first image moves down.   https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3Df1Qk0tiHSOTdaWjRtYl8wX3c/view?usp=sharing

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2015, 06:34:17 pm »

I think what you are seeing two things.  On some systems (browsers) the way images are loaded is somewhat different.  The short delay and flash you see is the images loading.  Since there are higher res images as part of the load it takes a fraction of a second longer than the rest of the page.  We achieved very fast page loads even when loaded with images and articles like we have.  Nor sure we can do anything about this.  Some browsers have a preference where it doesn't display the page until the whole age is loaded. 

Kevin Raber
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

Michael West

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2015, 08:17:17 pm »

the "Zoom" capablity of the displayed front page photographs is greatly appreciated.

ned

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2015, 01:33:54 pm »

What browser do you use? I've tried on OSX with both firefox and chrome and also on W7 with chrome. Both show the same behavior.

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2015, 01:56:08 pm »

What browser do you use? I've tried on OSX with both firefox and chrome and also on W7 with chrome. Both show the same behavior.
What you are seeing I believe is the photos at the top because they have larger versions behind them are lacking by a fraction of a second on loading.  So, your page is displayed and once the home page images at top are downloads ( fraction of s second later) the home page images are shown.  We don't see it here because we are using a vary fast connect.  I'll ask my web guys about this though.  If I remember right there used to be a preference where you could set a browser to not to display anything until the page was completely loaded.

Kevin Raber
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

AllMankind

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2015, 03:22:35 am »

I am having home page loading issues related to that animated top graphic also.  My browser freezes until EVERYTHING gets loaded and the loading takes forever.  So much so that I now have to bypass the homepage and go directly to the forums.

But since reading the homepage was my primary reason for visiting, I may have to abandon the site until this issue is fixed.  A single stationaty image works fine (like before) but these animated things just bog everything down.

Not everybody is on lightning fast DSL, and not everybody lives in N. America.  I live on the opposite side of the world and, while I do have DSL, it is rarely lightning fast.

The issue exists on every browser I have tried, but my primary browser is Opera 12.16 and Windows XP SP(whatever the latest is).

Pages: [1]   Go Up