Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Procedure for Printing Proofs to Epson Printers?  (Read 789 times)

dwswager

Procedure for Printing Proofs to Epson Printers?
« on: February 17, 2015, 04:16:49 pm »

I do not have an issue with monitor calibration or print matching.  My prints match the monitor pretty well.  My issue is that until I see the print (on paper), especially away from the monitor do I notice color casts or other issues.  So I'm looking for an effective, efficient and cost effective way to print a proof. 

If I'm making a 16x20 print, I don't want to make a 16x20 proof.  Should I print the whole image smaller or should I print a smaller section of the image at the same size it will print when printing the image? 

Or if you have some tips on how to SEE the problems on the monitor, then that would be great.  Soft proofing has not been the answer.

hugowolf

Re: Procedure for Printing Proofs to Epson Printers?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2015, 07:31:30 pm »

... Should I print the whole image smaller or should I print a smaller section of the image at the same size it will print when printing the image? 

I do both on the same sheet. Create a Lightroom virtual copy, crop it to about the final print size, and the whole image on the other half of the sheet.

Brian A

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2015, 09:47:23 pm »

I prefer to print a full size strip from the image.  I find that many times a smaller shot will easily mask possible issues, mainly in shadows and blue hues.  This is also why I keep old end of rolls around, i.e. the part of the paper where you start to see the imprint lines, this last part of the roll is saved for proofing. 

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Iluvmycam

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2015, 09:55:21 pm »

I make 4 x 6 then 8.5 x 11 then upscale from there. I keep the final work prints as back-ups in case I ever lose the digital files. I can scan the high grade proof print to get back 90% to 95% of the image.

Sometimes I make make 20 - 30 or more version of work prints. Other time maybe 6 or 8 tries. Just depends.

Jager

• E vestigio
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2015, 05:06:40 am »

I make initial proofs on 8.5x11 paper, knowing that the picture will inevitably look different when scaled to final target size.  As the image approaches near-final, I go to the target size.

na goodman

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2015, 09:48:24 am »

I take a slice of the whole image. A smaller image will look darker than my final output.

LenR

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2015, 10:05:32 am »

For the purposes of this discussion there are 2 types of tests: A "mag" test and a "color" test.
A mag test is any section of your file that you print at 100% magnification to evaluate sharpness and detail.
A color test is usually a reduced version of the whole image that allows you to evaluate color.
Both can be as big or as small as you want (whatever works for you).
On 24" paper I might make a 17'x4" mag test and put a 6"x4" color test along side of it.
That would create a 23"x4" file that gives me information about detail and color and only uses about 4" of media.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2015, 10:35:41 am »

http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

dwswager

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2015, 12:32:40 pm »

Thanks all!

I think the idea of a dual proof both a slice at 100% and small print of the entire image side by side makes sense.  And I just pulled up the link the Digital Dog posted for me.

I really am my own worst critic.  Anything I print and provide to others, whether it is the little I get for which I get paid or something I give as a gift, I usually get compliments on.  But stuff I print and display for my own enjoyment, every time I look up or walk by I start with the "I wish I would have..." or "It should have been..."
Pages: [1]   Go Up