Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which TYPES of papers are best for wall hung flush mounted photos?  (Read 1360 times)

dwswager

I would like to flush mount photos (to gatorboard, sintra (PVC), wrapped canvases, etc.) and hang them unframed, and unglazed on walls in a home.

What Types of photographic printing paper work best for this application?  I have only ever matted and framed under glass (with matte papers), but that is prohibitively expensive for the amount of wall space I need to cover.   I suspect I will need to spray coat them with some sort of protective finish like Moab Desert Varnish or Hahnemuhle Protective Spray.

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
Re: Which TYPES of papers are best for wall hung flush mounted photos?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 02:18:35 pm »

Most any paper media will cut about the same when coated with either the Hahnemuhle or Premier Art Print Shield Sprays, both of which a essentially the same thing and produce very hard and scratch resistant surfaces on most gloss media, and slightly weaker and slightly scuff-prone surfaces on matte media.  Both those sprays produce nasty smells that dissipate quickly but still require the use of a mask with an organic filter in a place with good ventilation.  By comparison most Home Depot sprays and thing like Krylon UV resistant sprays for art produce far nastier smells that take hours to dissipate from the print surface.  Some canvas-coating sprayed surfaces may shatter slightly when cut, producing a kind of ragged looking edge, so experimentation is needed with those.

Cutting mounted print packages should be done with a sharp blade and a good, steel straight edge.  For best results, gently clamp the cutting edge.  For the cleanest cuts, utility knife blade should be held to very slightly face in toward the cutting edge, and held relentlessly at the angle for about 4 or more gentle swipes.  That blade angle will position most of the inevitable burr on the piece that is being discarded, and leave the cleanest edge on the substrate.  The print is the hardest part to cut through, if you are using Gator or fomecore.  Sometimes it is helpful to first make a rough cut to within about 1/4 inch of the desired final cut, then fine trim that 1/4 inch piece away with super gentle cuts, which will produce the minimum burr on the print edge and arguably mangle the exposed foam sides the least.  Use the chrome-like smooth shaft of a screwdriver to burnish down the burr on the print.  It's best to cut within, say, 1/2 day of spraying before the sprayed surface is 100% hardened, the burr is easier to squash down at that point.  With the fast drying Hahn/Premier sprays you can mount and cut very soon after coating, almost as soon as the smell dissipates.

Nobody is cool until they own one of these cutting edges.  The foam padded base can be safely placed right over the print, and contrary to what the ad says the vertical bar is a great place to press down with the hand not doing the cutting.  The weight and the foam pads keep the edge from moving during a cut and those big flat areas are good targets for 8 inch Irwin clamps for use during those heavy and long cuts.  I have 64 and 100 inch versions of the cutter.  The 64 can be used for even tiny prints if I balance the "32" mark right over the print.  There are both lesser and better grades available in many sizes.

Mount a scrap print on your substrate of choice and spend an hour whittling away.  Much will be learned and it's good therapy.

EDIT: these hangers are OK for pieces weighing less than about 300 grams, anything heavier and you are cruising for a bruising.  Do not use with picture frames, please!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 02:29:22 pm by bill t. »

brinked

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 02:35:20 pm »

codamount (http://codamount.com/standout-mounts-mural-mounts.shtml) has the foam standout mounts with the adhesive already applied. 

I ahve tried them and they work great for metal prints as well, but if you go off their standard sizes, there is a $20 cutting fee.  They are the only company I know of that offers these, and their pricing is very reasonable.

dwswager

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 06:25:24 pm »

This price comparison was somewhat surprising considering how expensive Exhibition Fiber was supposed to be.

dwswager

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2015, 06:27:36 pm »

Thanks for the information.  I figured if it gets too heavy, I would use disk hangers that are used to hang plates.

Most any paper media will cut about the same when coated with either the Hahnemuhle or Premier Art Print Shield Sprays, both of which a essentially the same thing and produce very hard and scratch resistant surfaces on most gloss media, and slightly weaker and slightly scuff-prone surfaces on matte media.  Both those sprays produce nasty smells that dissipate quickly but still require the use of a mask with an organic filter in a place with good ventilation.  By comparison most Home Depot sprays and thing like Krylon UV resistant sprays for art produce far nastier smells that take hours to dissipate from the print surface.  Some canvas-coating sprayed surfaces may shatter slightly when cut, producing a kind of ragged looking edge, so experimentation is needed with those.

Cutting mounted print packages should be done with a sharp blade and a good, steel straight edge.  For best results, gently clamp the cutting edge.  For the cleanest cuts, utility knife blade should be held to very slightly face in toward the cutting edge, and held relentlessly at the angle for about 4 or more gentle swipes.  That blade angle will position most of the inevitable burr on the piece that is being discarded, and leave the cleanest edge on the substrate.  The print is the hardest part to cut through, if you are using Gator or fomecore.  Sometimes it is helpful to first make a rough cut to within about 1/4 inch of the desired final cut, then fine trim that 1/4 inch piece away with super gentle cuts, which will produce the minimum burr on the print edge and arguably mangle the exposed foam sides the least.  Use the chrome-like smooth shaft of a screwdriver to burnish down the burr on the print.  It's best to cut within, say, 1/2 day of spraying before the sprayed surface is 100% hardened, the burr is easier to squash down at that point.  With the fast drying Hahn/Premier sprays you can mount and cut very soon after coating, almost as soon as the smell dissipates.

Nobody is cool until they own one of these cutting edges.  The foam padded base can be safely placed right over the print, and contrary to what the ad says the vertical bar is a great place to press down with the hand not doing the cutting.  The weight and the foam pads keep the edge from moving during a cut and those big flat areas are good targets for 8 inch Irwin clamps for use during those heavy and long cuts.  I have 64 and 100 inch versions of the cutter.  The 64 can be used for even tiny prints if I balance the "32" mark right over the print.  There are both lesser and better grades available in many sizes.

Mount a scrap print on your substrate of choice and spend an hour whittling away.  Much will be learned and it's good therapy.

EDIT: these hangers are OK for pieces weighing less than about 300 grams, anything heavier and you are cruising for a bruising.  Do not use with picture frames, please!

dwswager

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2015, 06:30:07 pm »

codamount (http://codamount.com/standout-mounts-mural-mounts.shtml) has the foam standout mounts with the adhesive already applied. 

I ahve tried them and they work great for metal prints as well, but if you go off their standard sizes, there is a $20 cutting fee.  They are the only company I know of that offers these, and their pricing is very reasonable.

These look good.  Do you tend to prefer the 1 1/2" mural mounts or the 3/4" Standouts?    And, of course, there are some non standard sizes in the offing.  Which is why I was looking toward cutting my own.
Pages: [1]   Go Up