Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: rendered text  (Read 1535 times)

michaelcolby

rendered text
« on: February 16, 2015, 02:32:18 am »

Something has gone awry with text formatting with the cutover.  2 examples below.  Formatting commands appear in the text and/or text spacing is wonky. 2 example below:

From the home page:

The mediocre teacher tells.  The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.  The great teacher inspires. William Arthur Ward 1 – Can Anyone Be An Artist? If anyone could be Monet, or Picasso, or Dali, or Adams, or Weston, or whoever your favorite artist is, wouldn’t that make these artists commonplace?  Wouldn’

From the Beyond Calibration 2, Beyond Calibration 2. October 14, 2013 by Christopher Schneiter:

I n m y las t article ,BeyondCalibration,  I talke d abou t th e proble m o f havin g a n imag e loo k fi n e o n a monitor , bu t the n printing very dark. This is due to a lack of shadow contrast. My suggestion then was to put a lightening curve onto the image t o lighte n an d increas e contras t i n th e shadows.

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
Re: rendered text
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 08:55:17 am »

I cannot duplicate that text misrendering of the Home Page.

Would you please post what OS, browser and keyboard settings you are using?

The article by Christopher Schneiter needs revision - apologies.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 09:15:04 am by Chris Sanderson »

michaelcolby

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 11:54:56 am »

rebooting my mac cleared up the rendering of the text formatting/rendering on the home page.    Using Safari 6.1.6 on OS lion-10.7.5(its mac pro 1,1 slated for replacement with a newer mac pro later this year), ANSI keyboard, Western ISO latin text encoding.

looks like you fixed the text spacing in http://luminous-landscape.com/beyond-calibration-2/

thanks

icexe

• http://www.icexe.net
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 01:18:00 pm »

Web developer here. This has to do with the HTML content type configuration. I'm willing to bet the pages this is happening on are set to use the ISO-8859-1 charset instead of UTF-8. I'll also assume some of these posts were originally written in some other application (e.g. Microsoft Word) and then cut/pasted to the website. The ISO-8859-1 charset isn't good at dealing with the embedded formatting characters that were cut/pasted from other applications, so renders them as those funny looking characters. Some web browsers are smart enough to ignore them, but not all, which would explain why some people see the funny characters, while other people don't.

Switching the charset to UTF-8 should resolve the problem.

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2015, 03:33:26 pm »

Web developer here. This has to do with the HTML content type configuration. I'm willing to bet the pages this is happening on are set to use the ISO-8859-1 charset instead of UTF-8. I'll also assume some of these posts were originally written in some other application (e.g. Microsoft Word) and then cut/pasted to the website. The ISO-8859-1 charset isn't good at dealing with the embedded formatting characters that were cut/pasted from other applications, so renders them as those funny looking characters. Some web browsers are smart enough to ignore them, but not all, which would explain why some people see the funny characters, while other people don't.

Switching the charset to UTF-8 should resolve the problem.

The porting over of the site was huge.  Imagine 5000 plus pages.  We are fixing pages and issues as we come across them.  The link mention above was already corrected as well as those articles with missing images.  We will be staying on top of this for a while and fixing things as we see them.

Overall, I think our web team did a great job getting the site moved over to the new format.  It was a long time coming. 

Kevin Raber
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

icexe

• http://www.icexe.net
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2015, 06:51:44 pm »

The porting over of the site was huge.  Imagine 5000 plus pages.  We are fixing pages and issues as we come across them.  The link mention above was already corrected as well as those articles with missing images.  We will be staying on top of this for a while and fixing things as we see them.

Overall, I think our web team did a great job getting the site moved over to the new format.  It was a long time coming. 

Kevin Raber

Agreed.  Any update of this magnitude is going to come with some bugs, that's completely understandable. Excellent job overall in the redesign and in addressing the issues as they come up. :)

michaelcolby

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2015, 07:26:19 pm »

agreed. and the layout, look and interface of the "new" luminous landscape is much more contemporary and usable.

bokehcambodia

• bokehcambodia
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2015, 03:25:47 am »

agreed. and the layout, look and interface of the "new" luminous landscape is much more contemporary and usable.

+1  :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up