Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Welcome To The New Luminous-Landscape  (Read 18290 times)

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
Welcome To The New Luminous-Landscape
« on: February 14, 2015, 07:52:46 pm »

Welcome to the new Luminous-Landscape website V2.  It has been a busy 24 hours porting over the site to the new look.  I want to thank the team at Swellfire for such a great job.  

I hope you enjoy the new look and functionality.  We took into account a lot of feedback and ideas from our readers and implemented these ideas where we could.  

There is still a lot to be done and a number of finishing touches that we will add over the coming days and weeks.  Please let us know what you think or if you experience any issues.

I am very excited about the potential of where we can now take the site for the benefit of our readers.

Kevin Raber
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
Re: Welcome To The New Luminous-Landscape
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2015, 08:10:27 pm »

Very impressive and clean at first glance, and the search function took me quickly to an article I wanted to read.
On some forum threads, images that used to show up don't yet. I suppose that may still have to do with the Internet learning the new addresses.

Thanks to all who made this possible!
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2015, 08:15:07 pm »

Let's give things 24 hours and see what happens.  We're watching a lot of things right now and the site seems to be handling the stress really well.  The Forum is a difficult beast.  Very large and lots of content.  Let's see if things get cleared up over the next 24 hours.

Kevin Raber
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2015, 09:40:17 pm »

Wonderful so far. Like the image options on the home page and the recent article layout.

Great work.

Dave

Rajan Parrikar

• Rajan Parrikar
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2015, 10:00:31 pm »

The forum is unusable as of now.  Images don't upload.

dreed

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2015, 10:00:47 pm »

The move has been done so well that the forums look exactly like they did previously :)

The one aspect that to me still needs refining is the front page images...

Whilst I love the way that you've got multiple images (in boxes) to select from, can that line of preview boxes be put under the main image?

But the only annoyance is the "make it bigger arrows" in the top right corner. Why? When that is activated, the mouse pointer ends up over the new big image and in doing so automatically zooms in on the image in question. It isn't until the pointer is moved out of the image that it is then all visible in the "larger format" without any specific part being zoomed in on.

Iluvmycam

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2015, 10:47:01 pm »

Welcome to the new Luminous-Landscape website V2.  It has been a busy 24 hours porting over the site to the new look.  I want to thank the team at Swellfire for such a great job.  

I hope you enjoy the new look and functionality.  We took into account a lot of feedback and ideas from our readers and implemented these ideas where we could.  

There is still a lot to be done and a number of finishing touches that we will add over the coming days and weeks.  Please let us know what you think or if you experience any issues.

I am very excited about the potential of where we can now take the site for the benefit of our readers.

Kevin Raber

Thanks for your service!

Rusty

• http://www.woodsgift.ca/
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2015, 02:13:01 am »

love the home page photo choice to go full screen, site looks great, Logon not an issue after deleting cookies and reboot browser (Chrome)
All the best

Justinr

• Ink+images
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2015, 04:30:53 am »

Let's give things 24 hours and see what happens.  We're watching a lot of things right now and the site seems to be handling the stress really well.  The Forum is a difficult beast.  Very large and lots of content.  Let's see if things get cleared up over the next 24 hours.

Kevin Raber

I know it's still only February but can I nominate that as understatement of the year?   :D

davidgp

• davidgp fotografia
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2015, 05:17:08 am »

Hi Kevin,

The site looks great, I really like the new look, makes reading the articles much better than the old one. And in my iPad Mini it also looks great.

Just a comment, not sure if I'm getting this wrong. But I think the Rantatorials (love the idea) are not in the RSS feed. At least in my feedly subscription to your site I can not see there your article about the Book Stores or the article of Michael titled: "They Just Don’t Get It", even thought these articles have a younger date than other ones in the feed. I just commenting it in case, because I don't want to loose any of what I'm sure to be great articles.

P.D.: Nice for you to select wordpress as platform, it will help you to keep the backend software up-to-date for many years to come.

Regards,

David

ValerieMillett

• Valerie Millett
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2015, 06:04:21 am »

I love the new look!!
Valerie Millett
Blog: http://valmillett.blogspot.com

Dave Millier

• Whispering Cat Photography
Some things for your wishlist
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2015, 06:34:12 am »

First of all, congratulations on the new site design, good clean, uncluttered look that makes everything easy to read.  As a webmaster of a big intranet and a public sector website, I'm well aware of how much work goes into something like this, so well done to you and the team.  However, I'm also aware that some things get overlooked and the todo list never ends!  Here's a couple of usability things for your long term wishlist once you've solved all the immediate issues.

1. You have no index to articles.  If you 800 articles and the only way to view them is like a blog, in reversed chronological order, 3 or 4 articles per page and paginated with 180 pages, what are the chances that anyone is ever going to click through to page 134 to find the older articles?  You need various ways to browse and sort (such as alphabetically, by some kind of tag or category) and it would be helpful to provide a view with just the titles without the bulky exerpts all on one page.  If you rely on pagination or search as you do now, those older articles are not ever going to be found - which would be a pity for such a wonderful archive of content.

2. The auto rotating home page image slider/carousel.  Some people love these kinds of automated features. However, there is a ton of industry research/testing that shows they cause problems.  Many people associate attention grabbing moving, jiggling page elements as similar to spam - it is a distraction they want to blank out as it subconsciously reminds them of promises of having one a new ipad or the lottery if only they click through in the next 10 seconds....  Many people defend themselves against such unwanted distractions by mentally blanking out not just the animation but also the surrounding area causing them to miss important stuff.

Possible solutions are very easy - provide player controls such a stop or pause button. In fact, ideally you do it the other way around:  have the slider choose a random static image every time the page loads and allow the user to choose whether to click through images or turn on the auto rotate function themselves.  Empowering the intelligent user is very important on the web, similar in many way to having cameras with proper controls under photographer control rather having everything automated with an iA or green square mode....

These niggle aside, great job, Gang!

Regards

Dave

My website and photo galleries: http://w

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2015, 07:54:23 am »

It seems we have a number of things stabilized and working better overnight.  My forum Login seems to be stable and working fine.

Dave . . . thanks for the ideas on search and browsing.  We are looking at a number of ways to make the search feature more powerful and the team has some good ideas.  As I have mentioned elsewhere give us a bit of time one. 

As far as the top home page images, we wrestled on a good method to make that work and we believe the one we have now works best for what has been a major issue for us for many years.  The new images took a bit of engineering especially because we wanted to have better page load times than the old site. 

At this time we don't have the Ranatorials on RSS Feed, only NEW articles.   Let's see how the new Ranatorials does and we can later decide if an RSS feed is needed.  There is a Ranatorial update on the home page that will show when the last one was posted.

Watch for more features to be added as we move forward.  Also, in a few weeks we will have the complete NEW Video section.  I think you'll really like what we did with that area.

Please enjoy the new site.

Kevin Raber
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

StuartOnline

• Travels Photographer Stuart Schaefer
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2015, 08:26:34 am »

Good job on the new site.

Had a couple of issues yesterday, however all seems to be working fine now.

Stu

WayneLarmon

Missing PDF
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2015, 09:41:43 am »

The PDF is missing from the Scannerless Digital Capture and Processing of Negative Film Photographs article.

I saw that article when it first came out but didn't read the PDF at that time because I was preoccupied with non-photographic projects.   I am just getting back into camera scanning and wanted to read the PDF.

TIA.

Wayne

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2015, 11:56:15 am »

PLEASE NOTE

We will be closing the forum down for a few hours as we fix the issue folks have been having on loosing their log ons.  When we come back live you will have to log back on but the problems being experienced should be fixed.  Thanks for your patience as we work through this.

Kevin Raber
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2015, 12:01:00 pm »

I just tried to log in again and still had to clear cookies and cache from LuLa pages on Chrome to log in.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2015, 05:20:31 pm »

Login now works for me, at 5:18 pm EST.

But images don't appear in forum posts on either IE or Firefox.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
Re: Some things for your wishlist
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2015, 05:51:08 pm »

1. You have no index to articles.
This is a huge mistake.
The archive of Michael's old articles/reviews etc. is a treasure trove of information. 

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
Re: Some things for your wishlist
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2015, 05:59:29 pm »

This is a huge mistake.
The archive of Michael's old articles/reviews etc. is a treasure trove of information.  

It's all still there. Either search by topic or browse under 'Articles' and all the sub-categories
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 06:01:11 pm by Chris Sanderson »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up