Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon Digital Photo Professional for Cataloguing  (Read 1295 times)

offtheroad

Canon Digital Photo Professional for Cataloguing
« on: February 13, 2015, 09:20:19 am »

Any thought on using Canon's DPP for cataloguing. It also has what I think a better Lens correction aberation  with it?

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
Re: Canon Digital Photo Professional for Cataloguing
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2015, 12:30:32 pm »

I believe you can use DPP to correct lenses and this is then stored in raw file for other processors to use.
Ups file size though.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

jjj

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2015, 12:50:48 pm »

Your post reminded me to try DPP out again. Dear me, it's like something left over from the last century.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2015, 01:00:07 pm »

I believe you can use DPP to correct lenses and this is then stored in raw file for other processors to use.
Ups file size though.

Small correction, the lens corrections are unfortunately (because they work very well) not usable by other programs than Canon's DPP. The corrected version of the Raw data is written/added to the Raw file to allow DPP to open the file faster, which roughly doubles in size, but other applications still use the orignal/uncorrected Raw data.

The procedure is therefore reversible, one can uncheck the DLO (Digital Lens Optimization), which then removes the added set of Raw data, and the file is back to it's original size.

As for the original question, DPP is not a cataloguing application, it is a Raw converter.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

jjj

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2015, 09:02:16 am »

Small correction, the lens corrections are unfortunately (because they work very well) not usable by other programs than Canon's DPP.
Useful to know. Still won't be wasting my time with such an awful programme though.

spidermike

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2015, 05:33:31 am »

Canon's cataloging is fairly good but I prefer the control-freakery that Lightroom allows (cross referencing, multiple keywords, interrogating the system etc).  Many people use DDP very successfully so I would say give it a go: I found it perfectly OK when I was happy with a relatively simple cataloging system it is just that I like going over the top.
However the improvements in DPP v4 look very attractive and I am playing with the raw conversion to see how it goes - at times it produces a far superior output to LR especially regards sharpening at the edge of the image.
Pages: [1]   Go Up