Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: VJ and PAL  (Read 6849 times)

Ed Jack

VJ and PAL
« on: January 10, 2006, 12:14:09 pm »

I ahve recently subscribed. I love journal 13 and am looking ofrward to the one's this year.

Does anyone else in Europe have a problem playing the journal though their DVD player onto the TV. I guess it isn't region locked to the US (or canadian ?) region, becuase it does play BUT ONLY IN BLACK AND WHITE. Which is a pain.

I am able to watch it on my PC perfectly fine (in colour) though.

Am  I doing something wrong ?  

Ed

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
VJ and PAL
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2006, 12:39:02 pm »

Sounds like there is a setting wrong on either your DVD player or monitor. Hopefully . . .

Here is some standard info for playback problems:

PAL & SECAM.
Our DVDs are encoded for NTSC playback but will be viewable almost anywhere on any DVD player. Most PAL or SECAM DVD players will output a hybrid signal so that they can be viewed on a PAL TV set or monitor with no adjustment or setting changes. This video signal will not be recordable by a PAL video recorder as it is not true PAL but a hybrid signal. However, if your player and/or professional multi-standards monitor has the option for NTSC playback, choose this option.

REGIONAL ENCODING
 Some  manufacturers of low-end budget-priced DVD players ignore the internationally-accepted DVD standards in order to build a budget product. These budget set-top players will refuse to play our DVDs past the first menu or give a degraded signal. **See below.** There is no work-around except the use of a DVD player that is compliant to the DVD standard. Try the DVD on a different set-top player - maybe at your local TV store or a friendly neighbour?

** The Luminous Landscape Video Journal DVDs are set to play in *all* regions (1-8). Some software and set-top players encounter problems with this absence of specific Regional Encoding. The regular 'Hollywood' DVDs that you own or rent  are set to play in only one of eight 'regions':
1: U.S., Canada, U.S. Territories
2: Japan, Europe, South Africa, and Middle East (including Egypt)
3: Southeast Asia and East Asia (including Hong Kong)
4: Australia, New Zealand, Pacific Islands, Central America, Mexico, South America, and the Caribbean
5: Eastern Europe (Former Soviet Union), Indian subcontinent, Africa, North Korea, and Mongolia
6: China
7: Reserved
8: Special international venues (airplanes, cruise ships, etc.)]

Occasionally, we find that some players do not like the fact that the Luminous Landscape Video Journal has all eight regions selected to play.  (With a software player, you can try to re-set the Region in your player software - but *beware*, since most software players allow you to do this a very limited number of times!)

The only real work-around is to try a different player.

francois

VJ and PAL
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2006, 12:44:15 pm »

I ahve recently subscribed. I love journal 13 and am looking ofrward to the one's this year.

Does anyone else in Europe have a problem playing the journal though their DVD player onto the TV. I guess it isn't region locked to the US (or canadian ?) region, becuase it does play BUT ONLY IN BLACK AND WHITE. Which is a pain.

I am able to watch it on my PC perfectly fine (in colour) though.

Am  I doing something wrong ?   

Ed
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=55622\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
FWIW, I have no problem... I tried on 5-6 players and my computers and every issue played perfectly. I guess that a setting is wrong on your DVD player.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2006, 12:45:30 pm by francois »
Francois
Pages: [1]   Go Up