Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: need mounting ideas  (Read 3079 times)

mstevensphoto

• Denver Commercial Photographer
need mounting ideas
« on: February 12, 2015, 04:06:40 pm »

Hey folks,
   I've got a client who has informational displays in a number of locations. the displays are 11x14 and sit on their receptionist desks. pretty much every two weeks they have me print a new one with new graphics. they are essentially throw away displays. I mail them to each location. currently I'm doing glossy photos mounted to foam core. We would both like to make the display a little nicer/more elegant BUT because they are throw aways we can't spend a ton more. I really like the look of gallery mounts but the weight makes them cost prohibitive to mail and the production cost makes them too much. Does anyone have a creative idea for mounting an 11x14 for table top display that keeps it light weight, looks more elegant and keeps unit cost under $10? mostly I'm after a finished edge or something that maybe looks more like a plaque.
thanks for your ideas.
Mark

brinked

Re: need mounting ideas
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2015, 04:20:52 pm »

If you came to me I would suggest doing them on metal with an easel stand. 

The other options in your case would be an acrylic holder, an acrylic pedestal slotted block holder.

How about a foamcore with a stand?  like this https://www.fractureme.com/images/new-gallery/ProductGallery_12.jpg

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2015, 04:59:21 pm »

The slotted acrylic display stand came to my mind as well.  Just slide in the next print.

However, a possible step up might be black or white, 3mm Sintra, aka expand pvc board.  The about $45, 4 x 8 sheets are a total PITA to handle because of egregious floppiness, but you can buy them precut online and possibly from your local supplier already cut to size.  Cut down 11 x 14 sheets would be plenty rigid enough for POS displays, which is what they are mostly used for.  They can be cleanly cut with a utility knife with only a few tricks and a little practice.  Definitely looks up-scale compared to fomecore, and the black edge might be interpreted by many as hip, if not cool.

You would need to use some sort of adhesive with that, glue or drymount are out.  For small pieces there's no need for a laminator, and the job can be made quite easy with double-release adhesive like CodaMount Double Release Liner.  12 inches by 100 feet for $57, or precut 11x14 sheets for $0.95.

You can also use that stuff for much bigger prints by bracing the back with relatively cheap stretcher bars from Linerliners.com.  Surprising how rigid that treatment is, you'd never guess that from the pvc board alone.  The bars should be no more than 1.5" from the edge.  Super glue makes welds much stronger than either the pvc or the wood.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2015, 01:14:33 am »

as mentioned, sounds like a simple acrylic POP holder would work well, inexpensive and would only require a new print each 2 weeks.

http://www.displays2go.com/P-517/Acrylic-Sign-Holder-11-x-14-Angled-Display?utm_source=google.pla&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=GooglePLA&gclid=CPfrstyh3sMCFZCIaQodabgAsg

want something a little higher end looking, you could have it fabricated ... this one looks pretty good

http://www.patrickplastics.com/acrylic-fabrication.html

mstevensphoto

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2015, 12:42:16 pm »

thanks for the suggestions so far. I am currently doing the idea mentioned of mounted foam core with a stand.

acrylic holders are not right for this project. they feel exceptionally cheap. this is to look like a piece of artwork (while being exceptionally cheap) in many instances these go to places for one time display and getting back a holder/frame is a PITA that isn't worth it. I would really like something that is a stand-alone piece.

how hard is it to band the edge of 1/2" gator?

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2015, 03:36:40 pm »

You're offering an awful lot for $10.00 if you provide edge bands!  Sure, why not?  But it would be a PITA because the affordable stuff is tongue & groove, you would have to use a jig to cut the grooves, then cut those floopy tapes to exact lengths, and then miter the tongues and corners.  How long would that take?

One option is to get something like a Keencut or Fletcher-Terry table top sliding cutter that can make super clean cuts on the edges of Gator.  Hand made cuts will never make the grade.  Call the bare Gator edges a "look."  If nobody's complaining about dings on the edges of fomecore, maybe they'll love the sexy gator texture, which can argued to be in the same ballpark as carbon fiber, sorta.  You could hit the edges with a blast of clear acrylic spray for about 1/50 the cost of edging.  Ooh!  I'm gonna try that!  Wait, meltdowns...  Maybe water based, Polycrylic comes in cans, too.  Maybe just the same coating used on canvases...

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2015, 04:34:25 pm »

acrylic holders are not right for this project. they feel exceptionally cheap. this is to look like a piece of artwork (while being exceptionally cheap) in many instances these go to places for one time display and getting back a holder/frame is a PITA that isn't worth it. I would really like something that is a stand-alone piece.

Interesting observation.  Not sure the acrylic looks any cheaper than stuck on a piece of foam core or gator.

But acrylic fabricated right definitely doesn’t look cheap if made well.  Seeing how the big thing in high end work right now is acrylic face mounted with polished edges, something sandwiching the piece between 2 ⅜ or ½ polished acrylic similar to the second link I posted can look pretty nice, very professional with a modern presentation.

But there are many ways to present a piece like you describe.  You need to research POP (point of purchase) sources for everything from cheap acrylic to very high end.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 04:36:45 pm by Wayne Fox »

mstevensphoto

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2015, 05:25:54 pm »

You're offering an awful lot for $10.00 if you provide edge bands! 

$10 is my cost :) they don't pay my cost.

John V.

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2015, 12:25:18 pm »

why not invest in a nice way to display that can be re-used by printing the thing on a self adhesive media? then just peel it off junk it and stick a new one.. or some type of metal/acrylic "sandwhich" (the technical term) that would allow prints to be swapped easily
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 12:30:42 pm by John Drew »

John V.

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2015, 11:49:17 am »

That actually reminds me of a question I wanted to ask.. May be useful, maybe not..

http://imgur.com/jHk4azw,chGS8G5,kklsZLV
http://imgur.com/jHk4azw,chGS8G5,kklsZLV#1
http://imgur.com/jHk4azw,chGS8G5,kklsZLV#2

It's just hardboard and glass and some sort of clips. Does anyone know what is this type of thing is called?

« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 02:48:57 pm by John Drew »
Pages: [1]   Go Up