Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Determining Distance to Subject using Nikon SB910 Flash in Remote Mode  (Read 1199 times)

nvw

Hello,

I am using a Nikon SB910 and a D7100. The camera is in Commander mode, the flash is off camera in Remote mode and the two are working fine.

What is the proper way to determine distance to subject when the flash is set to Remote? When set to Remote, the only information on the flash display is Group, Channel and Zoom (mm). What is the correct procedure for determining distance to subject in this case? What I have be doing is switching to On mode, setting the f stop and Zoom to get the distance then switching to Remote. This seems like a hack. Is there a better way to determine distance to subject in Remote mode?

Thanks.

dwswager

Re: Determining Distance to Subject using Nikon SB910 Flash in Remote Mode
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2015, 04:36:32 pm »

Hello,

I am using a Nikon SB910 and a D7100. The camera is in Commander mode, the flash is off camera in Remote mode and the two are working fine.

What is the proper way to determine distance to subject when the flash is set to Remote? When set to Remote, the only information on the flash display is Group, Channel and Zoom (mm). What is the correct procedure for determining distance to subject in this case? What I have be doing is switching to On mode, setting the f stop and Zoom to get the distance then switching to Remote. This seems like a hack. Is there a better way to determine distance to subject in Remote mode?

Thanks.

Assuming you are asking for the remote flash to subject distance and not the camera to subject distance?  I set this to notify cause I'm interested in the answer, but I have to admit with off camera flash, I generally don't care.  Either I'm in TTL mode and the camera will deal or in manual mode I will use a Sekonic light meter to set the flash power and ratios.
Pages: [1]   Go Up