Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Daige EZ Glide 55" Liquid Laminator  (Read 4109 times)

Mike Sellers

• Mike Sellers Photography
Daige EZ Glide 55" Liquid Laminator
« on: February 12, 2015, 11:26:42 am »

trying to get away from spraying and came across this liquid laminator. Anyone have one or an opinion on it? http://daige.com/ez-glide-liquid-laminators-from-daige-products/
Mike

howardm

Re: Daige EZ Glide 55" Liquid Laminator
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2015, 11:40:02 am »

this last 'comment' is discouraging...........

Great for protecting wide format prints

Outdoor signage (vinyls, scrim banner etc)
    Fine art prints (water resistant canvas)
    Vehicle and boat graphics (vinyls)

(note: not designed for photographic
media or bond papers).

na goodman

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2015, 02:42:28 pm »

I've worked with Daige products for years. The owner is wonderful and will answer any questions. I have sent samples and he has coated them to see if it would work on my material. I think someone on the forum has one so they possible will see the post and chime in. Why do you want to get away from spraying?

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2015, 03:01:23 pm »

There's a big thread about the Daige on this forum a few years ago.  As mentioned I recall there's some good tips from a guy who coats his canvases this way.

In the video, the presenter says the back of the print does not get coated, I don't see how that would be the case but that would remove my biggest reservation about the product.

Would not want to leave any of the coating products I now use for very long in that tray for fear of developing skins and gunk.  Would also want to empty the tray though a standard paint filter.  OTOH, if a print did emerge with gunk, it would not be too hard to simply pick it off and recoat right then, I suppose.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2015, 03:28:13 pm »

In the video, the presenter says the back of the print does not get coated, I don't see how that would be the case but that would remove my biggest reservation about the product.
when he opens the device, you can see the orange “squeegee”, this wipes the coating from the bottom of the canvas.  I assume there is some residual amount left, but apparently insignificant enough the back is “dry”.

There are large coating machines which work very similarly, albeit automatically including drying the print.  But they run thousands or even 10’s of thousands of dollars.

I assume by photographic media he’s referring to inkjet ... these type of systems usually dissolve the ink a little bit on inkjet papers.

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2015, 01:45:24 am »

wasn't there another roll on verison posted just last week or a bit before?

I think that one did look a bit easier to put away, vs removing screws etc. If you do a search I'm sure it will turn up.  I too am considering something like this.
I think I rather have it custom made and then use whichever fluid makes sense.

There really isn't much to such a device. As simple as it can be. The ease of use is what makes one better than other.

Just saw the price of this one, and it would likely be the same cost as making one...so maybe this might be OK. The other one I mention was over $2k, but looked much more industrial vs the metal paneling of this model.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 01:47:59 am by Phil Indeblanc »
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

bill t.

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2015, 10:44:14 pm »

The thing I can't get out of my head in regards to those machines is how much faster it is to coat with a simple paint roller.  Almost zero setup, almost zero clean up.  Takes practice, but I am sure that so do those pan + bar based machines.  It does appear that the machines can put down a thicker coat on a single application, however, and the $10K+ machine I have seen demonstrated can create a heavy gloss with a single pass.  The low end machines may require a proprietary coating liquid.  The $10K roll-to-roll machine I saw used standard Clearstar Type C coating.

Mike Sellers

• Mike Sellers Photography
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2015, 08:52:10 am »

I think it would be an improvement over spraying and if you roll it you can ruin some ink and paper combos. I guess if your ink-paper is smear proof then rolling is ok.

bill t.

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2015, 01:37:41 pm »

I think it would be an improvement over spraying and if you roll it you can ruin some ink and paper combos. I guess if your ink-paper is smear proof then rolling is ok.

Yup, preparing prints for presentation has to be seen as an engineering problem, which is sometimes defined as making what you want using what you can get and do.  Some combinations of things don't work at all, some combinations limp along, and some can do 20 pirouettes in a row.  When one finds the right combination of materials, production is easy and one loses the sense that of an uphill climb full of steps that engender a sense of anxiety and even dread.

acktdi

• alvinchanphoto.com
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2015, 02:51:25 pm »

I have one, it works fine with Breathing Color Lyve even though their tech said it wasn't recommended due to possible smudging/smearing.  I've coated a few Fineart Rag type papers without any problems also.

My print volume is low, I'm just a hobbyist, so I went back to spraying.  Filling and draining the laminator is more tedious than spraying for me.
PM me if you want to buy a barely used Ez Glide 55"

Pages: [1]   Go Up