Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question about TIFFs and roundtrips between Lightroom and Photoshop  (Read 10255 times)

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com

Let's say I have done what I thought were my final retouching basic processing steps on a set of TIFFs using Photoshop (CC2014). I then import them into my Lightroom catalog. But then I realized I missed something.

If I re-open the image in Photoshop, do the additional work, and save the image in the same location with the same name , will the additional work show up when I open the image in Lightroom?

ButchM

Re: Question about TIFFs and roundtrips between Lightroom and Photoshop
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2015, 10:20:04 am »

Yes, additional work will be updated automatically if you open the image in Ps using the Lightroom "Edit in Command and then save in the same location with the same name. If you open the image outside of Lr, the preview (and any metadata you may have edited, added or deleted) will not be reflected automatically in Lightroom and would have to be done manually.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 10:22:14 am by ButchM »

jferrari

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2015, 10:28:30 am »

Ellis, if you preform the edits the way you describe when you return to LR you will see either an up arrow icon or an exclamation mark with three horizontal lines icon on the filmstrip thumbnail in the upper right-hand corner of the image. If you hover over that mark it will pop up a small message box saying either that the "Metadata was changed externally" or "Metadata has conflict."  Simply click on the icon and then click on "Overwrite settings" and everything will be updated with your changes.   - Jim
Nothing changes until something changes.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2015, 10:29:34 am »

If I re-open the image in Photoshop, do the additional work, and save the image in the same location with the same name , will the additional work show up when I open the image in Lightroom?
You burned the edits into the TIFF within PS so LR will or course 'see it'.
If you edit in LR, that's a different story. Those are parametric edits. You'd have to export from LR to a new TIFF or similar to 'see' the edits (they would show up in ACR if on version parity).
If you edit in PS, you are not employing parametric edits. They show up within PS and will within LR. If you work with layers, better have backwards compatibility on however.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

JeanMichel

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2015, 11:03:01 am »

Hi,
One caveat: as mentioned in the other comments,LR will see the and show the adjusted image, but should your file have layers and should you make any further adjustments in LR and then re-open the file in PS -- unless you 'open original' -- you will lose the layers and other settings that you may have changed in PS. So, don't do any further work on a tiff in LR unless you do so in a copy if you want to protect layers, etc.
Jean-Michel

leuallen

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2015, 07:23:55 pm »

The trick I use in JeanMichael case above, that is for example, if the tiff has a mask I want to fix but I have applied some LR tweaks to the tiff and I don't want to loose the settings. I have created a preset named "temp all" which has all of the parameters checked. I update that preset with the current file settings then Edit In to PS using "Edit original". Do my stuff in PS and when back in LR, apply the preset.

Larry

Rand47

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2015, 12:20:26 am »

The trick I use in JeanMichael case above, that is for example, if the tiff has a mask I want to fix but I have applied some LR tweaks to the tiff and I don't want to loose the settings. I have created a preset named "temp all" which has all of the parameters checked. I update that preset with the current file settings then Edit In to PS using "Edit original". Do my stuff in PS and when back in LR, apply the preset.

Larry

Very clever.  I sometimes end up with incremental edit-edit-edit.tiff(s).  I tend to be a post-visualizer / explorer on occasion!  You just saved me a lot of sorting and deleting of the incrments.  Thanks... And to the work-flow experts, I freely acknolwedge my somtimes multiple roundtrippings is far from optimal! :-)

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2015, 12:47:59 am »

Larry
if I have a full layered tiff/psd file which has had some edits in lightroom and I need to make some changes to that file and want to keep the changes in Lightroom as well, I select the 1st step in the history (which should be import) then select edit in PS, and always select edit original  After I've made the changes (such as fine tuning a mask), I save the file in PS. then go back to lightroom and select the last step in the history, which then applies all LR edits to the to the new file.

PhotoEcosse

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2015, 08:47:30 am »

Let's say I have done what I thought were my final retouching basic processing steps on a set of TIFFs using Photoshop (CC2014). I then import them into my Lightroom catalog. But then I realized I missed something.

Others have possibly answered to your satisfaction.

Might I respectfully add, however, that an alternative workflow might be the other way round, i.e. always import your Raw files straight from the camera card into Lightroom and then, if you need to use Photoshop, employ it from within LR by right-clicking the image. That way the resultant Tiff will appear in your LR catalogue next to the original image. If there are any "afterthoughts" you have the subsequent choice of re-editing the edited Tiff (with or without any later LR adjustments) or a fresh edit from the original Raw.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 08:49:16 am by PhotoEcosse »
"Reality is an illusion caused by lack of alcohol."
Alternatively, "Life begins at the far end of your comfort zone."

JeanMichel

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2015, 09:46:09 am »

if I have a full layered tiff/psd file which has had some edits in lightroom and I need to make some changes to that file and want to keep the changes in Lightroom as well, I select the 1st step in the history (which should be import) then select edit in PS, and always select edit original  After I've made the changes (such as fine tuning a mask), I save the file in PS. then go back to lightroom and select the last step in the history, which then applies all LR edits to the to the new file.

Thanks for that! That will simplify my work on the occasions that I need to do the go back to PS after making change in LR Thanks again.
Jean-Michel

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2015, 10:20:29 am »

One caveat: as mentioned in the other comments,LR will see the and show the adjusted image, but should your file have layers and should you make any further adjustments in LR and then re-open the file in PS -- unless you 'open original' -- you will lose the layers and other settings that you may have changed in PS. So, don't do any further work on a tiff in LR unless you do so in a copy if you want to protect layers, etc.
A much easier workflow [in my opinion] than the ones mentioned above. If you want to add any LR processing to images with layers, simply make a VC[virtual copy] and use LR on that copy. Then whenever you open and work on original TIFF/PSD in PS again, any developed VCs will automatically update to reflect that change after saving [in PS].

Cmd/Cntrl+' gives you a VC.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 10:58:04 am by jjj »
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele
Pages: [1]   Go Up