Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to know when you are in trouble with photo (or any other type) of gear  (Read 8958 times)

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com

Ta.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

Some Guy

Sadly, it takes me one day to charge up stuff, clean sensors, and pack my car full of gear.  And then it can only hold one person (me) as the back seat is full of stands, tripod, gimbals, lights, trunk full of stuff like scrims, barndoors, tools, snoots, portable printer, and the front passenger seat full of camera bags, lenses, tablet, phone and GPS, etc.  Then there is stuff used on location too like some model's outfit and accessories that gets tossed on top.  Better safe than sorry with backup stuff.

I really do need a trailer since I've outgrown any camera bag.   :-[  I knew I was heading into gear trouble when closets began getting stuffed and doors would not open due to all the crap falling against them.  Five printers now residing in the living room is another matter too - and that isn't all the printers I have either.

"When one isn't enough, buy more!"

SG

jjj

Sadly, it takes me one day to charge up stuff, clean sensors, and pack my car full of gear.  And then it can only hold one person (me) as the back seat is full of stands, tripod, gimbals, lights, trunk full of stuff like scrims, barndoors, tools, snoots, portable printer, and the front passenger seat full of camera bags, lenses, tablet, phone and GPS, etc.  Then there is stuff used on location too like some model's outfit and accessories that gets tossed on top.  Better safe than sorry with backup stuff.

I really do need a trailer since I've outgrown any camera bag.
You need a much bigger vehicle. Not a car.

Some Guy

You need a much bigger vehicle. Not a car.

Sadly, you're right.  I'm getting tired of packing and unpacking gear at locations.

I saw a bunch of surveyors once who had a really nice service truck with a slide-out tray for their tripods and side-entry panels for their GPS heads and transits.  I thought "That would make a great photographer's truck!" as it even had tandem rear wheels for off road and stuff.  Probably $80K+ though.  Made it easy for them to set up fast, and then toss it back into the lockable compartments and leave without resorting to jumping on stuff to make it fit back into the car.

Friend had a Landcrusier where he built wooden gear compartments in the back.  He thought he solved the issue.  Problem got bad when he had to pile stuff on top of the compartments and then had to unload everything to get to what he wanted by the side of the road and then repack it all.  A side-entry service panel truck might be better than stacking gear.

SG

jjj

If I was a [rich] photographer who needed access to remote places I think I may like to get one of these.
Company was founded by a photographer IIRC.

jjj

Friend had a Landcrusier where he built wooden gear compartments in the back.  He thought he solved the issue.  Problem got bad when he had to pile stuff on top of the compartments and then had to unload everything to get to what he wanted by the side of the road and then repack it all.  A side-entry service panel truck might be better than stacking gear.
Something like this but with bigger wheels and an engine. ;)
Along with a sliding lockable cover to secure compartments.

jjj

Vans fitted out like this are a sensible way of transporting kit. Or if that's not big enough, a truck like this....

Some Guy

Vans fitted out like this are a sensible way of transporting kit. Or if that's not big enough, a truck like this....

Now I like that truck!  An entire truck devoted to lighting gear!  Now I'd need one for the camera stuff too.   ;D

Could you imagine the looks on people pulling up with two trucks like that?  No doubt they'd pay whatever you ask them to pay, rather than trying to barter the prices down all the time - or "Could you do it for free since my kid with a cell phone can do the job."

"Mr. Ansel Adams Jr. has arrived with his crew, and he's asking for cash!  And a lot of it too."  :o

SG

Colorado David

That's a grip truck and they are common in the film and video production business.  I've rented grip trucks before with a crew to light for me.  They are not cheap, but worth every penny.

NancyP

Could you "adapt" a roof bike rack to take your C-stands, or use one of those sealed aerodynamic roof containers to hold smaller stands, tripods, scrims, etc? Then take a folding footstool to be able to easily access the container?

Some Guy

Could you "adapt" a roof bike rack to take your C-stands, or use one of those sealed aerodynamic roof containers to hold smaller stands, tripods, scrims, etc? Then take a folding footstool to be able to easily access the container?
I've thought of the top carrier for the car (Prius) as I know one photographer that uses one on their van.  Problem is I would probably fumble the heavy Matthews stands and damage the car at some point as it is sloped over say a van.

The C-stands with the removable turtle base aren't that much of a problem in that the upright is just a pole and doesn't take much room so I can put three in the back seat easily.  The bases are a bit much stacked.  The problem is my flash units are too big (Circa 1990) in their large carrier cases that hold 5 heads.  A new smaller head might be better as they weigh less and are half the size now, but not too crazy about tossing working gear.  Sundry stuff like spools of 100' extension cords, snoots, barndoors, even a smoke machine, etc. make my packing a bit frustrating.

The Prius oddly has a hitch that I have used in the past to haul a motorcycle trailer.  Gas mileage took a hit though from 45 to 22 mpg.  A top carrier might affect it too.  I think the newer ones have a bit more storage space, but can't beat it for location traveling, other than packing the thing tight with gear.  Some small aerodynamic trailer with side-load compartments maybe that I could leave packed with the stands and lighting stuff in the locked compound.

Example, this one for some clothing outfit shot down inside a working gold mine took three C-stands and flash-heads, dishes and umbrellas, and 300' of extension cords for the lights.  I had battery packs for the flash units, but I needed the modeling lights on as it was pitch dark down there and doing that kills the batteries.  Was sort of creepy in there with only the kerosene light lit or her helmet headlamp on.  People got claustrophobic otherwise so we had to add music too for distraction.

SG

NancyP

Search this forum for the old thread on "landscape photography support vehicle" - lots of suggestions, including panel vans, trucks, etc - some people said they camped (slept) in the vehicle. If you have enough kit to warrant a panel van, that's excellent security because no one can see in, and you keep the outside of the van unmarked. Consider moving up to the largest Prius?

telyt

Notice the qualifier
Car not needed to carry stuff in first place as cycling with a smaller kit would be more practical for me.
Plus I doubt could pack the car in my luggage for plane flight to those locations you mention.  :P

You've heard of renting cars?

... Lighter kit may enable one to get better photos or travel further/faster under one's own steam to get to the better location. And as I mentioned the Olympus pro lenses are better than some of my L lenses.

Having used L lenses, saying the Olympus lenses are better doesn't wow me.  I'm accustomed to Leica APO lenses, and I'm willing to carry them on my back or on a bike or on a plane or train.

EDIT:  I hesitated dropping the Leica bomb because it usually results in some jackass de-railing the thread with an anti-Leica rant, but…  returning to my previous comment, I bought the Leica to use and I carry it with me everywhere so that I can use it.  I'm not going to buy more stuff so that I can leave the Leica in the car at a trailhead.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 11:26:03 pm by wildlightphoto »

jjj

You've heard of renting cars?
You haven't heard of humour obviously despite the smiley emphasizing that my remark about cars on planes was not serious. In case it wasn't obvious enough.

Having used L lenses, saying the Olympus lenses are better doesn't wow me.  I'm accustomed to Leica APO lenses, and I'm willing to carry them on my back or on a bike or on a plane or train.

EDIT:  I hesitated dropping the Leica bomb because it usually results in some jackass de-railing the thread with an anti-Leica rant, but…  returning to my previous comment, I bought the Leica to use and I carry it with me everywhere so that I can use it.  I'm not going to buy more stuff so that I can leave the Leica in the car at a trailhead.
Yes a big yawn to the Leica reference, particularly as you also missed that point that was being made there too. 
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up