Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: How to know when you are in trouble with photo (or any other type) of gear  (Read 8962 times)

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com

It's that moment when you realize you are actively shopping for accessories for your accessories.

Iluvmycam

It's that moment when you realize you are actively shopping for accessories for your accessories.

There hopefully comes a point when you realize you got enough gear to produce and your gear is not what is holding you back. If you can't produce great work with lots of good gear one must accept the problem lies within themselves and is not gear related.

The only things I'd like to see come to market are:

An affordable Japanese Leica knockoff, ($2500)

An affordable 6mp FF back for the Hassy ($2500)

An M43 with a shutter speed dial / simple controls

A 'smallish' Fuji X super wide lens in 8mm, 9mm or 10mm with good manual controls.

A Fuji X circle fisheye with good manual controls.

Now, I have an excuse for wanting great manual control lenses and cams. I don't just have a bug in my head and lust for manual controls. I do lots of candid night shooting. The gear they have nowadays, designed by camera fondling engineers and built for camera fondling enthusiasts, is a pain to use in the conditions I shoot in. You have to fight it at every step.

http://rangefindercamera2.tumblr.com/image/110809006237

http://rangefindercamera2.tumblr.com/image/110808389532

http://rangefindercamera.tumblr.com/image/108383739969

All shot with Fuji X-E1, all candids...but I shot the Fuji as a Leica and not as a Fuji or I would not get anything.

Now, if none of my want list ever come to pass, I got enough gear to produce as is. The wants would just make life easier to produce.

It is a happy day for the photog when they can leave gear acquisition behind and only worry about what to shoot next...instead of what to buy next. But, our world requires constant consumption. So the camera companies need to keep designing to keep the engineers employed and they need the camera fondlers to keep buying to keep the cam companies in biz. It is an odd relationship, cause the more we buy and consume the less time we have to push the button and produce.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 09:56:15 am by iluvmycam »

NancyP

That describes me to a T - the search for The Perfect Bag(s) for photo, for photo plus winter day hike (space for "10 essentials" including bivy bag, stove, fuel, ramen/cocoa/teabags), for camping with space for photo.  :D

telyt

I knew I was in trouble when I had more stuff than I was willing to hike with and due to security concerns was unwilling to leave any stuff in the car.  When the epiphany struck I said "Screw the stuff, I'm going hiking."

hsteeves

Having way too much stuff to justifiably carry … yup.

torger

My latest "camera bag" has a capacity of 158 liters (9600 cu inch). One advantage is that I'm really motivated to stay fit as it's required to get all gear with me...  :)

shadowblade

Let's just say that I saw the recent video of the ultra-stable, all-terrain robot dog and thought, 'Cool! Pack mule!'

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com

Now, I have an excuse for wanting great manual control lenses and cams. I don't just have a bug in my head and lust for manual controls. I do lots of candid night shooting. The gear they have nowadays, designed by camera fondling engineers and built for camera fondling enthusiasts, is a pain to use in the conditions I shoot in. You have to fight it at every step.
I do lots of low light shooting and modern cameras in my experience are much better in such conditions that old school cameras. Talking handling, not image capture here. Though that's waaaaay better.

All shot with Fuji X-E1, all candids...but I shot the Fuji as a Leica and not as a Fuji or I would not get anything.
Not quite sure what you mean you by 'shot the Fuji as a Leica'.  ???
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 05:51:03 am by jjj »
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

jjj

I knew I was in trouble when I had more stuff than I was willing to hike with and due to security concerns was unwilling to leave any stuff in the car.  When the epiphany struck I said "Screw the stuff, I'm going hiking."
I'm considering an Olympus system for such times. 16-300mm f2.8 [FF equivalent] in 3 small and very good lenses along with a tiny body and if you add a teleconverter than you also have a 450mm f4. That's a very light setup that will cover most outdoor shooting and if you need silly long lenses then a 600mm f4  [FF equivalent] is also available. With the 16-300mm range you could get away with carrying the two lenses not on the camera in jacket pockets, so not even a backpack needed. The excellent image stabilisation means a tripod is needed far less too, so that could be left behind as well.

dwswager

You mean like trying to find the perfect filter wallet (I use 77mm Stack Caps)?

Camera bags are out of bounds.  There just isn't a perfect camera bag for all occasions. I'm looking at 6 of them stuff in a shelving unit that each comes out to play from time to time.  And I'm actively trying to decide between the Thinktank StreetWalker and StreetWalker Pro at the moment.  ;D

NancyP

Yeow! 9600 cu.in. / 158 L  - that's not a backpack, that's a steamer trunk. That's about 50% more volume than the largest expedition pack that I know of (105 L). So how much does this camera bag weigh, and does it have wheels?

telyt

I'm considering an Olympus system for such times. 16-300mm f2.8 [FF equivalent] in 3 small and very good lenses along with a tiny body and if you add a teleconverter than you also have a 450mm f4. That's a very light setup that will cover most outdoor shooting and if you need silly long lenses then a 600mm f4  [FF equivalent] is also available. With the 16-300mm range you could get away with carrying the two lenses not on the camera in jacket pockets, so not even a backpack needed. The excellent image stabilisation means a tripod is needed far less too, so that could be left behind as well.

Hmmmm…. buy more stuff so I can leave the good stuff in the car?  Ummmm… no.

Colorado David

Everyone needs to get a llama. That would be the ultimate accessory for your accessories.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto

Hi,

I have bought to much MF film gear, Pentax 67, Minolta MF scanners and projector, just before digital washed all that away.

Best regards
Erik

« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 04:27:49 pm by ErikKaffehr »
Erik Kaffehr

NancyP

That sounds like some serious macro, Erik.
I admit to being a tri-holic. I own (and actually use, as opposed to leaving them in the closet) three tripods and one monopod, which is probably three more tripods than the average amateur. Each one has a different type of head for different uses. Arca-adapted Manfrotto 410 geared head on Manfrotto 055 aluminum legs, Arca-Swiss Z1sp on largest carbon fiber Feisol, Arca-Swiss p0 on "travel" sized Feisol, tilt head on monopod. Plus, a Custom Brackets Basic Gimbal side-mount arm which mounts onto the Z1 with the ball tipped 90 degrees into the slot. The small Feisol gets the bulk of use due to its being the "just in case" one I take when I am hiking without heavy or long-lens gear.

jjj

Hmmmm…. buy more stuff so I can leave the good stuff in the car?  Ummmm… no.
Two things. Car not needed to carry stuff in first place as cycling with a smaller kit would be more practical for me. The other kit would be left at home not in car anyway.
The Olympus kit is good stuff too. Lenses are better than my L lenses that's for sure.

dwswager

The real problem is just about the point I feel satisfied with the capture side (cameras, lenses, shooting accessories), I start wanting to upgrade the post processing side (monitors, processing, printers, etc.)!

leeonmaui

Aloha,

When you are arguing with the Arcteryx customer service guy about how much weight there biggest backpack is rated for, and asking them why they don't build a bigger stronger bag!

Attached carry in bag for a 10 day carry all in photo shoot

telyt

Two things. Car not needed to carry stuff in first place as cycling with a smaller kit would be more practical for me. The other kit would be left at home not in car anyway.

Hmmm… not terribly practical on a Sacto -> Wisconsin -> Sacto road trip.  Or try riding the bicycle from Elko NV up Lamoille Canyon for a hike in the Ruby Mountains.  Are you going to leave the bicycle at the end of the road for 12 hours while hiking?

The Olympus kit is good stuff too. Lenses are better than my L lenses that's for sure.

There's better, and my biggest investment is time.  Not gonna waste my time to get something other than my best photos.

jjj

Hmmm… not terribly practical on a Sacto -> Wisconsin -> Sacto road trip.  Or try riding the bicycle from Elko NV up Lamoille Canyon for a hike in the Ruby Mountains.
Notice the qualifier
Car not needed to carry stuff in first place as cycling with a smaller kit would be more practical for me.
Plus I doubt could pack the car in my luggage for plane flight to those locations you mention.  :P

Are you going to leave the bicycle at the end of the road for 12 hours while hiking?
Nope, a major point of using a bike for me would be to ride on the trails. Maybe even to photograph bikes.

Not sure what you mean with this part of your reply...
There's better, and my biggest investment is time.  Not gonna waste my time to get something other than my best photos.
Lighter kit may enable one to get better photos or travel further/faster under one's own steam to get to the better location. And as I mentioned the Olympus pro lenses are better than some of my L lenses.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 10:08:43 am by jjj »
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up