Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Windows Conflict with Viewscan  (Read 1169 times)

DanPatrick

Windows Conflict with Viewscan
« on: February 12, 2015, 02:42:58 am »

Love the software, but every time I use it, my computer hangs on shut down, and eventually, I get a blue screen.  Again, ONLY when I use Vuescan.  All I've gotten from from Customer Support is that it's a problem with a driver, not Vuescan's but some other driver.  What to do?  If it is indeed some other driver, how would I find what driver is the problem?  I've re-installed Vuescan twice.  No other changes to my computer.  I'm totally over my head here.  I want to be able to use Vuescan, but not with this problem. Thanks, DP

Windows 7 Pro 64 bit
24 GB RAM

Bart_van_der_Wolf

Re: Windows Conflict with Viewscan
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2015, 03:08:37 am »

Love the software, but every time I use it, my computer hangs on shut down, and eventually, I get a blue screen.  Again, ONLY when I use Vuescan.  All I've gotten from from Customer Support is that it's a problem with a driver, not Vuescan's but some other driver.  What to do?  If it is indeed some other driver, how would I find what driver is the problem?  I've re-installed Vuescan twice.  No other changes to my computer.  I'm totally over my head here.  I want to be able to use Vuescan, but not with this problem. Thanks, DP

Windows 7 Pro 64 bit
24 GB RAM

Hi Dan,

I am a long time VueScan user (on Windows), and I've never had blue screens caused by it. Blue screens on modern Windows are commonly caused by poorly seated memory modules or, as Ed Hamrick indicated, some other driver conflict.

The more likely candidates to cause your issues are those drivers that VueScan uses and other software not (as much), if you only experience BSODs when using VueScan. Try updating (un-install, reboot, re-install) your scanner manufacturer's drivers first. Depending on the scanner interface, SCSI, FireWire, USB, update those drivers (via Windows update if possible, or interface manufacturer otherwise). Less likely, but always useful, update your video drivers. For the rest, make sure your BIOS, motherboard drivers, and memory module drivers are up-to-date.

If your computer is the only one causing such issues, the solution for the issue has to be found there as well.

Cheers,
Bart

P.S. If USB is used, try another cable.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 03:11:05 am by BartvanderWolf »
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

TonyW

Re: Windows Conflict with Viewscan
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2015, 10:58:11 am »

FWIW my experience with Vuescan same as Bart's and would second the advice he has offered.  

In addition this could possibly be AV (or other concurrent running app.) related i.e. your AV solution may not be playing nicely with Vuescan.  

Just a suggestion but after making sure that memory, drivers all ok then try disabling your anti virus and malware solutions temporarily.  I would also pull the plug on internet while testing.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 11:01:23 am by TonyW »
Pages: [1]   Go Up