Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Photoshop and Lightroom  (Read 3223 times)

offtheroad

Photoshop and Lightroom
« on: February 11, 2015, 07:06:01 pm »

I see a lot of people use Capture One and lightroom. I'm confused, I thought PS was the premiere image editing software. I just want a good app to catalogue my thousands of imageas I had in Aperture. Also Aperture had a Library and a Vault is lightroom the same?

Isaac

Re: Photoshop and Lightroom
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2015, 07:59:55 pm »

I'm confused, I thought PS was the premiere image editing software.

A lot of people just want a good app to process and catalog their images, the way they want.

Also Aperture had a Library and a Vault is lightroom the same?

There are specific forums for questions about image processing, for example:

-- Adobe Lightroom Q&A

-- Apple Aperture Q&A

Your questions have probably been discussed already, look through the old discussions for answers.

spidermike

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2015, 05:40:39 am »

Many people do not need a fancy full-on editing program and given the cost of PS (before Adobe moved to the CC model) find they can do all the global adjustments they need in LR with the occasion use of the adjustments brush for local changes. Others found LR plus PS Elements was all they ever needed (I am in that camp, using LR for global changes and PSE for things like deleting images or combining images). 

I think the CC has changed the game in several ways. Some people find the per-month payment for CC much easier to bear than purchsing the full PS package so are moving to CC, others prefer to have a physical disc that they own rather than renting a program so move to CaptureOne or OnOne.

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2015, 08:57:09 am »

I see a lot of people use Capture One and lightroom. I'm confused, I thought PS was the premiere image editing software. I just want a good app to catalogue my thousands of imageas I had in Aperture. Also Aperture had a Library and a Vault is lightroom the same?
Photoshop is not a cataloguing programme, it only edits images. It does however come with Bridge which although an excellent file manager, it is not as good as programmes like LR for organising and dealing with large amounts of images.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2015, 09:26:34 am »

When it comes to cataloging and post-processing there's nothing else out there that can come anywhere near the combination of Lightroom, Camera Raw, and Photoshop.

As more than one poster has pointed out, since Camera Raw lives inside Lightroom as well as inside Photoshop, it's quite possible to do all of your cataloging and post-processing with Lightroom alone. But for a total of ten bucks a month you can buy all the blessings of Lightroom add things like HDR, stitching, content-aware filling and patching, plus an array of additional image control capabilities too long to list here.

Yesterday I gave a 1 1/2 hour lecture on the combination of Photoshop CC and Lightroom, and demonstrated a number of these features. One repeated comment was that "Well... maybe Adobe will raise the price." Yes, maybe they will." But if they raise it too much they're going to end up dealing only with a dwindling market of pros, and I doubt they want that kind of reduction in revenue. There's a world of competition out there in post-processing software, and an awful lot of it is very, very good.

Remember what things were like when you had to work in a dimly-lighted, smelly darkroom and wait a couple hours for your prints to wash and dry. . . and REJOICE!
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.
Pages: [1]   Go Up