Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best way to prep ProPhoto RGB images for the Web?  (Read 3040 times)

richpate

Best way to prep ProPhoto RGB images for the Web?
« on: February 10, 2015, 08:57:10 pm »

My working color space for editing my RAW files is ProPhoto RGB. My master files are saved as 16-bit ProPhoto RGB layered PSD files. I am aware of several ways to prep my images for the Web, but is one best for accurately displaying my work on a web site?

Photoshop's "Save for Web..." is easy, but does it do as good a job as manually re-sizing, "Convert to Profile" (sRGB) and then "Save As..." an 8-bit JPEG? I have noticed "Save for Web..." creates a file w. its color space designated as "untagged RGB," while the manual method designates "sRGB." Any difference? Thanks.

D Fosse

Re: Best way to prep ProPhoto RGB images for the Web?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 05:19:38 am »

You should always embed the profile. With the notable exception if Internet Explorer (which seems to be a lost cause), most browsers today handle color management well. At least Safari and Firefox both do.

Photoshop's Save For Web still strips the profile at default settings, so you need to check the "Embed Color Profile" box. That setting sticks. Personally I think it's well past time to change this default, but there it is.

While you're in there, check "Convert to sRGB", and set Preview to "Use Embedded Profile". This shows you the image with full color management (using the monitor profile to display). Here again SFW uses an outdated default from the old days when browsers weren't color managed.

If you're using a wide gamut monitor some special considerations come in, and in Firefox a manual setting has to be enabled (color management mode 1)*.

As for resizing, I've no particular opinion. SFW seems to do well. But you should do a final sharpening after resizing, which has to be done in Photoshop anyway, so it can probably handle the resizing too. Build it all into a couple of actions and you're set.

*Firefox users should enable this setting in any case, whatever monitor they're using. What it does is to assign sRGB to any and all untagged material. This enables the full color management chain, instead of just passing it straight to the monitor unmanaged. IOW, full color management even on untagged material, as long as it is created in sRGB with sRGB numbers.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 05:33:14 am by D Fosse »

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 10:49:53 am »

I am aware of several ways to prep my images for the Web, but is one best for accurately displaying my work on a web site?
Size to the pixel dimensions you wish x number of pixels by y number.
Convert to sRGB.
Save As... JPEG. Layers and high-bit data will convert to a flattened, 8-bit per color document by virtue of sRGB. Embed the sRGB profile. That's about it. [/li][/list]
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Tim Lookingbill

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2015, 03:28:54 pm »

If you follow a color managed workflow in Photoshop CS5 version and up, use these SFW settings shown in the screengrab below. It retains all EXIF data and embedded sRGB (see EXIF Viewer app screengrab). Check if your image hosting site strips any of this data which some tend to do.

I first resize in "Image Size..." coming out of ACR 6.7 before using CS5 SFW because downsampling using (Bicubic) tends to reduce sharpness and using Bicubic Sharper gives an unwanted overall herringbone like texture. My ACR sharpening settings for fine textured images such as the tree on my 6MP Raws to override downsampling softness for the web is a Radius of 2 or more, Detail 5-10 and Amount to taste viewing at 33.3% zoom in ACR.

Raw captures at higher resolution more than 6MP may need different settings to control the thickness of the edge halos downsizing will soften.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 03:31:45 pm by Tim Lookingbill »
Pages: [1]   Go Up