Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sigma Art 24mm 1.4 announced  (Read 9594 times)

kers

• Pieter Kers
Sigma Art 24mm 1.4 announced
« on: February 10, 2015, 09:35:46 am »

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/product/24mm-f14-dg-hsm-a

...The Sigma 24mm 1.4 DG HSM Art is a state of the art wide-angle prime lens designed for Full Frame camera but can work with APS-C sensors as well. Using over 50 years of lens making experience, particularly the knowledge gained from the 35mm 1.4 Art and the 50mm 1.4 Art, the 24mm 1.4 Art is aimed at being the new standard for fast aperture wide angle prime lenses. The latest optical design allows for the utmost in image quality with careful attention paid to the edge to edge performance. An optimized power layout places the aspherical lens elements in the rear and adjusts the incidence angle of light source allowing for great performance wide open. Using premium FLD & SLD glass elements, the lens brings aberrations and distortion to a minimum, an issue many wide-angle lenses suffer from. Wide class leading performance, this lens is ideal for wedding photography, landscape photography, videography, astrophotography, lowlight/indoor photography and event photography. The Sigma 24mm Art is compatible with the USB dock to update and customize and is also compatible with the Mount Conversion Service. A staple procedure for the Global Vision lines, every lens will be tested using the proprietary “A1” measuring system....

A new interesting full frame 24mm.
The sigma MTF does not say how many lines/mm or the aperture ... but if it is1.4 and  10 and 30lines/mm it would be better than the 24mm nikkor in the centre wide open.
i just tested that the 50mm art has a resolution in the centre of a about  130MP FF camera already at 2.8 till 5.6... my sharpest lens...
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

uheck

Re: Sigma Art 24mm 1.4 announced
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 10:01:33 am »

And now SIGMA is rolling´em in.

Love this company, since the son took over.Absolute focus on quality and resolution.Used their own, super demanding Foveon sensor as quality testing tool.Parallel keeping a family business intact.

In the short time I had the D800e back then, their 24-70mm (which was the cause Canon then developed the II lens), this lens easily outresolved the sensor leading to severe moiree (which was a good sign).

If this lens really deliver FULLY OPEN, we have another winner.

NancyP

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2015, 10:07:50 am »

Oh no. GAS strikes. I am cooked if this has low coma at f/1.4. Time to stop haunting the gear fora (she says...) I just love my Sigma Art 35 f/1.4.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2015, 10:09:14 am »

Hopefully the element designed to remove coma aberration works. Nikita 24 1.4 has terrible coma and I just found out the new 20mm 1.8 is not much better.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

torger

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2015, 10:15:29 am »

A lead that a retrofocus wide-angle lens has high resolving power is if it has more lens elements than other 24/1.4 lenses, and yes it has. Canon's 24/1.4 II has 13 lens elements, this has 15 elements, so Sigma is likely the better performer.

Neither of Canon or Nikon's 24mm look fantastically sharp wide open though and chromatic aberrations are visible even at f/16. It's hard to make lenses sharp this wide.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 10:19:28 am by torger »

nemophoto

• Nemo Niemann Photography
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2015, 10:38:56 am »

I'm sure this lens will be a killer if the 35 and 50 are any indication. I sold my 50/1.2 Canon recently and just bought the Sigma 50/1.4. I haven't looked back. I was never happy with the Canon 50/1.2 at any aperture lower than about 5.6. The Sigma 50 has been truly sharp at 2.8 and up on my 1Dx. I'm sure this 24 will follow the same trend. It seems the only realy misfire Sigma has had recently is the 24-105/4. I read that after less than a year on the market, they pulled it.

shadowblade

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2015, 09:06:17 pm »

Looking forward to this, if it's as good as their current Art lenses. I'm hoping they do a few more UWAs too, including zooms and tilt-shifts (especially) - it would be great to have some high-quality tilt-shits to use on a Nikon body, rather than being beholden to Canon and Metabones.

Also, when are they going to update the 85mm to Art standard?

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2015, 01:22:17 pm »

You can now pre-order at various web sites, list is $849.00.  Hope it can deliver like the 50mm 1.4.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2015, 03:51:54 pm »

You can now pre-order at various web sites, list is $849.00.  Hope it can deliver like the 50mm 1.4.
Paul

Very cheap if it has to beat Nikon and Canon...... Hope it will be good enough....
( you would say it is more difficult to make than a 50mm art , still its about the same price..)
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2015, 06:06:35 pm »

Sigma has delivered on spec within the 24mm art. They make a point of addressing coma flare which creates the aberration issues at the edge of the frame.  So I am very interested in seeing if they have made a major positive step.

So I have not found any fast wide that is not hampered by coma and Nikons are some of the worst. 24 1.4 and 20 1.8 to mention a few. Where as the 14-24 is almost free is coma wide open but is hampered with flare issues.

Paul
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 10:10:17 am by Paul2660 »
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2015, 08:10:07 am »

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/5812789913/cp-2015-first-samples-from-the-sigma-24mm-f1-4-dg-hsm-art-lens

the test samples do not impress...  ( referring tot the sealing samples)

Or Dpreview cannot take decent photographs or/and  it is a bad sample   or/and it is just not a very good lens

The nikkor 1.4 24mm - that i have - can do much better than this...

(these type of lenses are complex to handle properly- maybe that is the problem here)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 09:20:20 am by kers »
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2015, 10:19:58 am »

Looking at the dpreview samples, the only thing I see that is a bit troubling is the bokeh on the 1.4 to 2.8 shots, it's not very smooth IMO.  The center of the image where I assume the focus was taken looks good.

I briefly owned the Nikkor 24 1.4 and I would agree that for outdoor landscapes it was an excellent lens, however my main interest was night photography and the coma aberration on the the 24 1.4 G was terrible.  It was strange as I did not see much corner/edge smearing in daylight work, but the butterfly lights at night and starscapes were really terrible until around F3.5 and to me that pretty much defeated the need for 1.4 as I could better work or equal work with my 14-24 at F2.8.

I hated to sell the Nikon 24 and thought I might have a bad lens, and sent it back for another one, and the 2nd one was exactly the same.  I have read since that the coma issue on the 24 1.4 is found by most photographers. 

Hopefully more tests will come in better lighting/subject matter.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

hiepphotog

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2015, 03:25:05 pm »

I don't know what kind of adapter he was using to shoot that Sigma on his A7R. I would wait for more samples, preferably on a Canon or Nikon. Remember that Samyang 24/1.4 is not as good as the 35/1.4 and 85/1.4 that came before it.

LKaven

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2015, 07:14:09 am »

Is there general agreement that the ART lenses, like the 14-24, and like the Otus, are based in a significantly oversized image circle?

AreBee

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2015, 07:39:42 am »

Luke,

Is there general agreement that the ART lenses, like the 14-24, and like the Otus, are based in a significantly oversized image circle?

No. Refer here, where Stefan notes that the Otus image circle has been designed to cover the format with marginal room to spare.

LKaven

« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2015, 08:51:19 am »

Refer here, where Stefan notes that the Otus image circle has been designed to cover the format with marginal room to spare.

This is indeed helpful, but it leaves some further questions up for consideration.  Isn't it possible that a lens is engineered internally for a larger image circle, but otherwise masked at the exit pupil?  In practical terms, this would help to eliminate a significant source of flare.

AreBee

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2015, 10:04:41 am »

Luke,

Isn't it possible that a lens is engineered internally for a larger image circle, but otherwise masked at the exit pupil?  In practical terms, this would help to eliminate a significant source of flare.

Is it possible? I do not know.

Coatings applied to lens elements, baffles applied to the lens barrel inside and, of course, the hood itself are normal ways in which lenses are designed to reduce flare.

LKaven

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2015, 10:21:53 am »

Coatings applied to lens elements, baffles applied to the lens barrel inside and, of course, the hood itself are normal ways in which lenses are designed to reduce flare.

True, although a 70mm+ image circle, left unmasked, would spill into the mirror box, creating some additional sources of flare.  But I'm not an optical designer, so I'm not sure.  I wrote to Stefan with my question, and got this answer:

Hi Luke

the 1,4/55mm Otus is just barely extending the 24x36m image circle for a few mm.
The 1,4/85mm allows Movements of up to 10mm.

For the specific lens construction with light traps, you should better ask Zeiss, I don´t have any data for that.

Greetings from Germany
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 10:23:53 am by LKaven »

bokehcambodia

• bokehcambodia
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2015, 03:31:05 am »

Ping-pong updates, so next will be the 85mm?
Pages: [1]   Go Up