Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Updated Fuji lens roadmap  (Read 14415 times)

rdonson

Updated Fuji lens roadmap
« on: February 10, 2015, 09:09:31 am »

Today Fuji updated their roadmap - looks like they pushed out the big lens and are now identifying it as a 100-400 zoom.

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_cameras/xf_lens/roadmap/
Regards,
Ron

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
Re: Updated Fuji lens roadmap
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 10:22:41 am »

Disappointed that they are now sticking the long focal length out into 2016.... that is really too bad. The 100-400mm is the one lens I have really been waiting for. the 1.4x converter might be nice but the 35mm f2 seems too redundant to me.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2015, 10:56:54 am »

Good news on the 16mm 1.4.  I thought they also showed a concept of a 400mm only, as I recall it was at Photokina.  But it's not in the roadmap now.  It might have been the 100-400, but I remember it also. 

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2015, 01:43:55 pm »

Paul, it was originally a 140-400mm when they first showed it and it was to be available end of this year.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2015, 01:48:12 pm »

Thanks Alan. I just remember the mockup from photokina.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

mbaginy

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2015, 03:56:21 pm »

I'm excited to hear about the new 120/2.8 macro lens.  Hopefully Fujifilm will add a tripod mount to it and I hope magnification reaches 1:1.  But I'll have to wait till mid 2016.  >:(

armand

• Photos
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2015, 06:55:43 pm »

I'm excited to hear about the new 120/2.8 macro lens.  Hopefully Fujifilm will add a tripod mount to it and I hope magnification reaches 1:1.  But I'll have to wait till mid 2016.  >:(

Add the teleconverter to it and there will be a lot of possibilities.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2015, 09:36:52 am »

That's how they look: http://www.fujirumors.com/first-images-of-all-the-unreleased-lenses-in-the-roadmap-120-100-400-35-16-90-1-4-teleconverter/

When you also look at how desirable are those lenses the first 3 have almost the same number of votes with my "favorite", the 90 F2, being the first. Because of that I'm holding on buying a 135 for the Nikon.
The 35 F1.4, 56 F1.2, 90 F2 and 120 F2.8 should cover most portrait needs.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 09:44:30 am by armand »

barryfitzgerald

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2015, 10:52:43 am »

120mm seems bit long to me for a macro lens esp for APS-C
The 35mm F2 isn't a bad idea if it's priced right (it's small and the speed is fine) Fuji could have made it 40mm F2 thus a little different to the 35mm F1.4

I don't really see the point of a 16mm F1.4 lens it's too short a focal length for that speed no doubt some will find it useful

armand

• Photos
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2015, 11:42:09 am »

The 35mm F2 isn't a bad idea if it's priced right (it's small and the speed is fine) Fuji could have made it 40mm F2 thus a little different to the 35mm F1.4

I don't really see the point of a 16mm F1.4 lens it's too short a focal length for that speed no doubt some will find it useful

They have the 60 for a shorter one (true only 1:2) and there is also the Zeiss at 50. I'm not that much into macro but I keep hearing about short working distance, this should take care of that and can double as a 180 portrait lens.

The Canikon have 24 F1.4 so I guess there are plenty of people to use them.

BJL

"Focal length equivalence" gets a bit funky at macro range, especially if your goal is adequate working distance.

For example, 1:1 macro with a 120mm lens gives a lens-to-subject distance (as opposed to the usual focal-plane-to-subject measure of working distance, which makes little practical sense to me) of 240mm, and that is independent of format size, so at 1:1, this lens is comparable to the same 120mm focal length in 36x24mm format in giving the same working distance.

If instead what you care about is filling the frame with a given small subject, so comparing at equal field size, then 1:1 with this lens on a 24x16mm sensor records a 24x16mm subject field, and to get that same 24x16mm coverage in 36x24mm format, you need greater than 1:1 magnification, 3:2 in fact, and then that same minimum working distance of 240mm requires a 144mm lens.

If instead, the 36x24mm field size of 1:1 on an 36x24mm sensor is small enough, then the 24x16mm format only needs 2:3 magnification, and this 120mm lens then gives a 432mm working distance, as for a 216mm 1:1 lens on 36x24mm format.

However you cut it, 120mm in 24x16mm format is not equivalent to the usual (3/2)*120mm = 180mm in 36x24mm format for close work, even though it is for equivalent FOV with more distant subjects.

Given the interest in 180mm and 200mm macro lenses for 36x24mm format, this seems an attractive focal length for close work in 24x16mm format -- and one of the places where smaller formats with smaller photosites have a nice size advantage.  (The stopping down needed for adequate DOF in macro shots allows a smaller format to use a less high f-stop, and so a lower ISO speed for equal shutter speed, which I like because my macro shots often involve the need to freeze a bit of motion, so high-enough shutter speed matters.  So many of the touted advantages of larger pixels on a larger sensor are cancelled out in "small world photography".)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 12:02:08 pm by BJL »

mbaginy

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2015, 12:48:31 pm »

The 120mm macro seems to have space for a tripod mount, just forward of the aperture ring - I surely hope so.  Would be nice if it also had a built-in lens shade.  Those plastic ones Fujifilm have recently furnished with lenses are crap (excuse my French).  I'm not thrilled by the 60mm "macro" or the Zeiss 50mm macro - too short for my needs.

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2015, 08:45:27 pm »

Would be nice if it also had a built-in lens shade.  Those plastic ones Fujifilm have recently furnished with lenses are crap (excuse my French).

Fuji's lens caps are also awful.  They fall off easily and the curved front makes it impossible (or at least unsafe) to stand lenses on them on a shelf or in a drawer.  I've replaced all of mine with Nikon caps.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2015, 09:07:22 pm »

+1

Paul
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

armand

• Photos
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2015, 09:53:27 pm »

The lens hood for the 10-24 I think it's the worst. While I can put it on a little easier than others (and stays on), trying to get in a reverse position for transport is an exercise in frustration and I still can't do it, at best it goes only half way. I had issues with the hood for the 55-200 but we are finally getting along.

I do keep my lenses on the front caps (out of reach though) but they are more difficult to put on.

rdonson

« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2015, 09:51:59 am »

Hmmmm... I guess I've been lucky.  I have a 10-24 and an 18-135.  Both have lens caps that are NOT rounded.  My older Canon lens caps are the worst I've had.  I was forever losing them as they fell off.  Most have since been replaced with Nikon or aftermarket caps.

I've also not had a problem with the lens shades except initially.  Once I puzzled out how to use the markings on the lens shades its been pretty smooth sailing for me.  The lens shades aren't a easy to use as my Canon but they seem to be OK to me. 
Regards,
Ron

armand

• Photos
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2015, 09:57:57 am »

Hmmmm... I guess I've been lucky.  I have a 10-24 and an 18-135.  Both have lens caps that are NOT rounded.  My older Canon lens caps are the worst I've had.  I was forever losing them as they fell off.  Most have since been replaced with Nikon or aftermarket caps.

I've also not had a problem with the lens shades except initially.  Once I puzzled out how to use the markings on the lens shades its been pretty smooth sailing for me.  The lens shades aren't a easy to use as my Canon but they seem to be OK to me. 

They have those 2 parallel ridges so you can keep the lens on them, the problem is that they are shorter than the entire cap therefore less stable than they should be.

I figured out the markings long time ago but I still can't reverse mount the 10-24 hood.

Rand47

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2015, 06:05:17 pm »

I have found that the Fuji lens shades have a sort of plastic spring (of sorts) in the mechanism that I'm guessing is intended to keep them snug over the long haul.  As a result, they are beastly when first used.  My new 40-150 lens hood was so tight at first that I thought it was defective.  With some use, and intentional repetitive fitting and unfitting, is getting much smoother.  On the 10-24 in particular, I've found that "flat handing" the whole bottom of the hood while reverse mounting, and giving a very slight inward pressure was the trick for mine.  It now goes on and off quite easily. 

They are all easy to bind-up (and end up trying to force, rather than coaxing the stubborn little beasts), and I'll bet it wouldn't be hard to break one.  So far so good with all of mine as they are wearing-in nicely.

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

koolk2

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2015, 11:21:45 am »

For the Fuji 55-200 mm  56 mm lens try the Nikon HN-23 lens hood. The Vello LHN-23 hood also works. These are metal screw in lens hoods that work with your polarizer. Neweer also sells metal lens hood that work with Fuji.

barryfitzgerald

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2015, 08:54:56 pm »

Fuji's lens caps are also awful.  They fall off easily and the curved front makes it impossible (or at least unsafe) to stand lenses on them on a shelf or in a drawer.  I've replaced all of mine with Nikon caps.

Have to agree here they do come off and get caught on things very easily they're not flat for starters dome shaped that's the problem silly design really. Something so simple and yet it escaped the jaws of good design I suppose Fuji wanted to "look different" and that counted for more than "practical"
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up