Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon ipf data cable replacement.  (Read 2376 times)

enduser

Canon ipf data cable replacement.
« on: February 10, 2015, 06:02:41 am »

We have a fault which the error code says is likely a flexible data cable problem.  Intermitant, with somtimes nothing printing from one head, then perfect printing the next.

Has anyone here changed the cable themselves, and if so, any advice.

Many thanks.

Malcolm Payne

Re: Canon ipf data cable replacement.
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 07:57:47 am »

I'm afraid I can't offer much in the way of practical advice, only that I was present when the tech. replaced the data cable on my iPF8300 and it all looked fairly simple once the cover was off the printer. There are guides printed on the new cable where it needs to be folded, but it helps if you still have the old one in place to see which way the folds go and how it should be positioned on the travelling cable support - it's probably a good idea to take some photos before you start the replacement process. Other than that, I think it's just a matter of plugging both ends in once it's properly located.

If you don't already have one, you can find service manuals for the iPF series at http://canonipf.wikispaces.com/PDF+Manuals.

If you have a reliable source for the new cable, please can you post a link?

Good luck.

enduser

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2015, 05:48:43 pm »

Thanks Malcom.  Taking photos of it all is a great idea and I didn't think about that until your suggestion. I have a borrowed copy of all three 6100 manuals, Service Manual,  Parts Manual and Troubleshooting Manual.  It's the latter one that I looked up my fault code in and saw mention of the offending cable.

There's quite a few mentions on forums of this particular cable giving trouble.  I've got almost all panels off now and I can see it.

I'll post the result and the cable source, when I find one.  I know it's about US$110.

enduser

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2015, 02:09:23 am »

Can't see any way to get to back of print head carriage as yet.  Keep trying.

enduser

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2015, 05:08:44 am »

Simple job to remove the carriage shaft and see the rear of the carriage.  Not one but five cables which disappear into the plastic casting of the carriage, so no easy way to change the cable(s).

So, we re-seat them at the motherboard end and re-attach all the panels.  Re-attaching the index tape takes a bit of dexterityand the belt has to be put back as well.  All of  this would have been so much easier and quicker if their was an appropriate cut out on the back of the chassis where you could see the back of the carriage.

Tomorrow we boot up and see if we've achieved anything.

enduser

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2015, 06:27:36 am »

Well, the old  machine is printing again.  A bit hard to believe considering how far down we pulled it apart.  About 100 M3 screws in all.  We have about six left over even though all panels are now on - including two red ones which the manual said must never be touched!

After many years in tecnical employment, much of it  in laboratories with complex electromechanical equipment to keep operating, the process wasn't too daunting.  We have the three main manuals to go with a 6100 which are highly detailed but lack some key info.  Our error code pretty much said the problem was the main data cable from the motherboard to the head.  No info on changing it, in fact with our model you'd have to change the carriage and cable assembly, not just the cable.

It looks like our wiggling the ends around has done a re-seat, and we are printing again.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 11:14:22 pm by enduser »

Malcolm Payne

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2015, 07:04:49 am »

Good to know it's all working again. I don't recall my iPF8300 being that difficult, but I wasn't watching every step and the tech. had the machine fairly well stripped down by then as he'd already replaced the motherboard and the carriage relay board and probably a few other things as well - the well-known 'I haven't got a clue so just replace everything until something works' diagnostic procedure - so access to the connectors may have been simpler in my particular case. There was no specific error code in this instance, just the loss of an entire block of light magenta in the nozzle check.

At one point he had attempted three times to replace the left head and was completely stumped by the resultant error messages, until I realised what he was doing and pointed out that he was trying to reinstall the old right head in the wrong location, rather than the second new head I'd been instructed to order for his visit. Cost me a lot of money in unnecessary waste ink and replacement heads that was never fully reimbursed, despite being it under a service contract, so I was somewhat jaundiced by the whole experience.

Hopefully that's fixed it for good and it will keep printing now.
Pages: [1]   Go Up