Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Multiple nondestructive editings  (Read 12746 times)

areve

Multiple nondestructive editings
« on: January 09, 2006, 04:03:43 am »

Hi,
Much has been made by Apple of the fact that Aperture works on raw (and other files) nondestructively. In other words, editing changes made to a raw file are simply a set of instructions, and the raw file itself is untouched. Well, the reality is that's what Camera Raw does as well, and has for several years.
I don't have a Mac, so I've not tried ALR or Aperture, I've only read about them. My understanding is that Aperture can not only keep changes as a set of instructions (as ACR does), but can also keep several sets of instructions for the same raw file, giving the user the possibility to work on different interpretations of the same file without increasing disk usage.

To my knowledge, ACR cannot do this, as instructions need to be applied (i.e. a psd or tiff or whatever created) before starting on something different. Can ALR keep several such sets?

Arnaud-

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2006, 04:11:02 am »

Not yet...but it's on the wish list of must have features...the more users post the request, the higher it will end up on the list!

Vote early and often (old Chicago political humor)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2006, 04:11:30 am by Schewe »

HiltonP

• http://hiltonp-twotrains.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2006, 07:56:42 am »

I work on a pc platform, so I can't test this for myself, but can someone clarify a point for me? . . .

Using Lightroom . . .

I perform some / any work on a photo file.
I then move it across to PhotoShop to edit out some dust spots and do some post-processing which adds layers & masks to the file.
I then want to take it back in Lightroom.

Lightroom can't read .psd files.

How would one move to-and-fro between Lightroom and PhotoShop and retain changes made to the photo file without having to flatten the layers/masks/etc?
Regards, HILTON

michael

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2006, 09:58:17 am »

Once more with feeling....

Lightroom Beta One is not a finished product. It doesn not have at the moment anywhere near the features that it will finally have. If it did, it wouldn't be a Beta program, now would it?

Adobe wants people to try it and tell them what they want. What they like, what they don't like. They will use this input to create a product, over the next 9-10 months, that is a reflection of what photographers are asking for.

There's little point in critiquing LR now because it can't do something or doesn't have a certain feature. The point is to try it (Windows version coming soon), and the see what you would like it to do, and tell this to Adobe.

Believe me, they're listing.

Michael

HiltonP

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2006, 10:53:56 am »

Once more with feeling....

Lightroom Beta One is not a finished product. It doesn not have at the moment anywhere near the features that it will finally have. If it did, it wouldn't be a Beta program, now would it?

Adobe wants people to try it and tell them what they want. What they like, what they don't like. They will use this input to create a product, over the next 9-10 months, that is a reflection of what photographers are asking for.

There's little point in critiquing LR now because it can't do something or doesn't have a certain feature. The point is to try it (Windows version coming soon), and the see what you would like it to do, and tell this to Adobe.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=55738\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Come on Michael . . . when I read my post I see no criticism, all I see is a pretty straight forward question.

Since I have no means of testing this myself, I was hoping that someone (i.e. a Mac user) might be in a position to answer?  How can that be construed as criticism? (please don't answer that, just answer my first question!)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2006, 11:06:46 am by HiltonP »
Regards, HILTON

Paul Sumi

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2006, 12:22:54 pm »

(please don't answer that, just answer my first question!)
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=55740\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Obviously .PSD support is not included in this first beta, I'm betting it is a top-requested addition for the commercial release.  But only Adobe can tell us if this will happen.

To answer your question about files with layers, the first beta exports TIFF files.  I did this, sent the file to PhotoShop, added an adjustment layer and saved the TIFF without flattening.

Back in Lightroom, the layered TIFF shows up with the changes I made.  LR's tools seem to work on this layered TIFF (just quick experimentation, no guarantees).

If this can be done with TIFFs, then I'm sure the same wll be true for .PSDs later on.

But be clear - all of this happens on the TIFF copy, not on the source RAW file.  Also, versioning isn't here yet, hope that gets added to the commercial release, too!

Paul
« Last Edit: January 11, 2006, 12:29:17 pm by PaulS »

HiltonP

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2006, 12:28:50 pm »

Thanks Paul, that's what I was looking for.
Regards, HILTON

David Mantripp

• :: snowhenge dot net ::
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2006, 02:04:42 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=55738\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

But this forum is titled Q&A, and HiltonP asked a Question...

If the answer is, don't post here, tell it to Adobe, then what is the point of the forum exactly ?

And why are the "Adobe insiders" so prickly & defensive about this product ?  The usual "balanced editorial view" of this site seems to have gone AWOL on this one.  The overall attitude that Adobe is some Kind Uncle saving us from Bad Greedy Steve is plain silly. For heaven's sakes, if there is going to be debate, let it be civilised adult debate, where the moderators and Sainted Venerable Beta Testers accord a certain level of deference and respect to other participants, many of whom are equally competent, talented and qualified to comment as they are. This patronising "we know better" stuff is really getting up my nose.

--
David Mantripp

Schewe

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2006, 03:01:59 pm »

stuff is really getting up my nose.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=55759\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Then blow your nose and move on...

What part EXACTLY did you think was useful about YOUR post?

You are perfectly free to feel however you want, but venting, ranting and otherwise making posts of little or no usefulness in the long run only eats bandwidth.

This forum (correct me if I'm wrong Michael) is for LL forum members to talk about Lightroom in the context of a familiar place. However, if what you want to do is express the interest and desire for specific features or have specific bugs, it won't do Lightroom nor the LR engineers much good posting them here, will it?

DarkPenguin

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2006, 03:18:23 pm »

So, this forum is to discuss an unfinished product without bringing up the fact that it is unfinished?

Paul Sumi

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2006, 03:21:45 pm »

However, if what you want to do is express the interest and desire for specific features or have specific bugs, it won't do Lightroom nor the LR engineers much good posting them here, will it?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=55762\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm guessing what you meant to convey isn't how it is written?

Paul

Schewe

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2006, 03:36:53 pm »

I'm guessing what you meant to convey isn't how it is written?
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Talking about specific feature requests and specific bugs HERE won't do Lightroom and Lightroom's development much good...it would be far better to do that in the specific forums at Adobe Labs that have been set up for that purpose...

[a href=\"http://www.macromedia.com/cfusion/webforums/forum/categories.cfm?forumid=72&catid=590&entercat=y]Lightroom Feature Requests[/url]

Lightroom Bug Reports

That's where the engineers are hanging out and where YOUR opinions will do the product some good.

So, if that's what you think I meant, you're right...

« Last Edit: January 11, 2006, 03:37:49 pm by Schewe »

Paul Sumi

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2006, 03:49:15 pm »

Talking about specific feature requests and specific bugs HERE won't do Lightroom and Lightroom's development much good...it would be far better to do that in the specific forums at Adobe Labs that have been set up for that purpose...

Lightroom Feature Requests

Lightroom Bug Reports

That's where the engineers are hanging out and where YOUR opinions will do the product some good.

So, if that's what you think I meant, you're right...

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=55769\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Actually, your original post sounded as if discussing bugs or wanted features here was not useful, PERIOD.  Text messages really don't convey nuances, do they?  Your later addition of the links to the Adobe Labs forums makes clear what I think was your true intent.

Anyway, let's get back on-topic.

Paul
« Last Edit: January 11, 2006, 03:50:00 pm by PaulS »

DarkPenguin

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2006, 03:50:37 pm »

Actually, your original post sounded as if discussing bugs or wanted features here was not useful, PERIOD.  Text messages really don't convey nuances, do they?  Your later addition of the links to the Adobe Labs forums makes clear what I think was your true intent.

Anyway, let's get back on-topic.

Paul
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=55770\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Those links should be stickified at the top of the forum.

jani

• Øyet
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2006, 04:46:04 pm »

Talking about specific feature requests and specific bugs HERE won't do Lightroom and Lightroom's development much good...
I disagree.

Sure, Lightroom's developers won't be reading this forum to read what people think or not, but by discussing it here first, we can fine-tune our views without adding noise to the forums you're linking to. Then we can -- each and everyone who cares -- express those views in a nice and coherent manner in those forums, which will make the needs and desires so much clearer to the developers.

If that's not an option, I don't see the need of the Lightroom section here on the LL forums, either, not until Lightroom's been released as a finished product.
Jan
Pages: [1]   Go Up